Why has the Church changed its architecture?

Ok, I got it, thanks.

I would suggest for many of the same reasons that it was so different pre and post 313, 520, and 1573 for starters.

1 Like

Not to mention 600, 751, 1073, 1417, 1527 and 1648. There have been many events in church history that have resulted in major changes. The Church was not static before Vatican II.

Destroying parts of the Church, removing altar rails, statues, altars and tabernacles was the removing of Catholic monuments that were built throughout Church history to hand down the faith from one generation to the next. IMHO it was definitely wrong to remove and destroy such monuments.

2 Likes

Except that as I posted above “front and centre” was not always the preferred location for the tabernacle even prior to the Council, even in parish churches:

Regularly the Blessed Sacrament should be reserved on the High Altar, being the most noble and honourable altar, unless another altar would seem preferable for the veneration and cult due to this august Sacrament.

(the above from Leon Levavasseur’s Roman Ceremonial, 1935 edition).

So if post-Council, a parish church developed a cult of adoration and wanted to move the Blessed Sacrament to nicely decorated and inviting side-chapel for that purpose, it is acting well within what one would describe as tradition, and Tradition. I’ve seen it done in one of the churches of our pastoral unit and it is a very nice chapel, and is regularly occupied by faithful adoring the Blessed Sacrament.

It could also be that the Tabernacle was always at a side altar or chapel at a parish church that was once a cathedral church.

Christ IS in the center, in the Chalice and Patten, during the entire Eucharistic Liturgy.

I’ll have to check it out. When I am finally able to make it out to the West Coast again, I’ll be near there, my aunt and uncle are buried in Merced, and I’ll be going there to pay my respects.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.