Why has the Vatican never insisted that the Winnipeg Statement be retracted?

That’s my question.

In 2008, the Canadian Bishops issued a pastoral letter titled “Liberating Potential” that was unquestioned as being in full conformity with Humanae vitae, and invited all to “discover or rediscover” its message. Critics of the Winnipeg Statement saw the new document as counterbalancing what it called the “heretical” earlier statement.

Here is a link to the Winnepeg Statement: u.arizona.edu/~aversa/modernism/winnipeg.html

Very troubling indeed. At the time of the Roe v. Wade decision I happened to be living in Red Lake County, Minnesota. And I was wondering why a few priests and some laity were openly opposing Humane Vitae. Perhaps this is one reason.

Linus2nd

That seems to have saved the bishops from " bowing " before Henry 8th, the modern secular state.

Linus2nd

???

I’m not following your train of thought.

I guess it doesn’t matter to me, because I’m an American Catholic, not a Canadian Catholic. :smiley:

Then you and all other Americans need to read: How Support for Abortion Became Kennedy Dogma

Even Ted Kennedy, who gets a 100% pro-choice rating from the abortion-rights group Naral, was at one time pro-life. In fact, in 1971, a full year after New York had legalized abortion, the Massachusetts senator was still championing the rights of the unborn. In a letter to a constituent dated Aug. 3, 1971, he wrote: “When history looks back to this era it should recognize this generation as one which cared about human beings enough to halt the practice of war, to provide a decent living for every family, and to fulfill its responsibility to its children from the very moment of conception.”

But that all changed in the early '70s, when Democratic politicians first figured out that the powerful abortion lobby could fill their campaign coffers (and attract new liberal voters). Politicians also began to realize that, despite the Catholic Church’s teachings to the contrary, its bishops and priests had ended their public role of responding negatively to those who promoted a pro-choice agenda.

In some cases, church leaders actually started providing “cover” for Catholic pro-choice politicians who wanted to vote in favor of abortion rights. At a meeting at the Kennedy compound in Hyannisport, Mass., on a hot summer day in 1964, the Kennedy family and its advisers and allies were coached by leading theologians and Catholic college professors on how to accept and promote abortion with a “clear conscience.”

I’ve read it. It seems to be largely about the turmoil some people may be experiencing over a difficult teaching. It does not assert a different teaching.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.