Why have Eucharistic Adoration?

If we are “…God’s temple…the Spirit of God dwells in you.” 1Corinthians 3:16, why then is there the need to be present before the Eucharist? Am 67 yrs old, a Catholic since birth am deeply involved in the ACTS Retreat Movement, yet am still confused as to the why of Eucharistic Adoration…YIC Joe Deosdade

Dear friend,

Christianity is an earthy religion; one in which God Himself, took on human flesh and lived an earthly life. He designed us and so He readily recognizes our need for the physical. As a result He left us sacraments; sacred physical signs that help us to be aware of His concern and love for us. The greatest of these sacraments is the Eucharist, in which He has left us His Body and Blood as a perpetual memorial of the love He showed us when He hung on the cross and died.

Maybe I’m not as spiritual as you are, but I really like to be physically near the people I love. This is why we have Eucharistic Adoration. This is why I spend an hour in the wee hours of the morning, before the tabernacle. It’s an hour of intimacy with the Son of God. Such time is its’ own reward. If you don’t understand this, there isn’t much more that I can say.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.