Why have we been chosen?

Hello all,

I was thinking about this last night, about how it seems I have had a lot of help, both in the physical world, and in the spiritual world (angels, God) to become really close with God and receive the best thing I could ever receive. However, my heart is sad to think of all the people, which to me, haven’t really had the opportunity to get to know God. Why is that so? Are we chosen or lucky? I understand there is free will and choice, but it is really hard for me to believe that my choice to be with God was purely my choice, but somehow a divine intervention and push into this direction that surely helped me a lot, and keeps helping me. What do you guys think about this?

God Bless

AH You are talking about predestination. It’s funny that this topic has all of a sudden come up alot lately. Check out the works-salvation thread. It is being discussed right now.:thumbsup:

I always figured the people close to me, who have not heard the gospel message, are merely waiting for me to get off my duff and proclaim it to them.

I have thought of this too and I begin to think more deeply of God’s mercy … and patience. The other thing is I probably do not comprehend just how much God has done for me … I have seen somewhat, like you what He has done … but I think it is looking at it like an icberg … I see just the tip. This is a good reflection thread for Holy Week.

I have considered those who dont get a chance to hear about God, or to learn about God the Faithful’s part. It is up to those who know to preach to the world. It isnt the fault of those who are unable to leave their home, its the fault of those who do not want to go to their home.
That is my opinion.
This is how God told us to do, Spread the Gospel, not find the gospel.
He told the gospel to everyone there, and everyone there told everyone else. The people who HEARD NOTHING ABOUT IT eventually did because they had to hear it because people were bound to go by their adobe or what ever.

We are all chosen to learn the will of God, but it is up to God to sort out everyone after death.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Romans 10:17 So faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Matthew 28:19-20 Go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

we are commanded to go and teach. and Through hearing the word you gain faith. So I guess you can read it vice versa as well, by not hearing, you cannot gain faith, am i right??

this goes into afterlife and Gods will, well. I think its too bad. and its not their fault all the time, or necessarily ours, but maybe it is those who dont choose God when they have a chance, those who dont choose hell or heaven, but deny the Word. It is up to God and his mercy to judge the living and the dead, we are commanded not to judge.
The end.

Godbless,
chris

EDITL I didnt meant to leave this out but anyway.

**However, I believe that there is still a full capability to have access to Grace, and the Holy Spirit. Just access to the Word of God might be limited, but access to Grace and Love and forgiveness can be unlimited, its up to what God wants.

I am saying that I believe people who dont ahve any access to the Word of God are still capable of following.**

Consider that some cooperate with Actual Grace or the prompting of the spirit and some do not.

I can only imagine how many chances the Lord gives us to get to know Him. I know I have needed more than a few to finally get to know Him personally. God is ever merciful and gives us opportunities after opportunities to call us toward Him, it is up to us to listen. Of course there are some on earth who have not heard the Gospel but that is our own fault for not evangalizing to them. I believe God shows them mercy according to them listening to their own consciousness on right or wrong. God gave us all the gift of our conscience and we must do our part to listen to His voice inside us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.