Why homosexuals?

Someone just ask me the question “What is the Catholic Churches stance on two people of the same sex (homosexuals) being in a relationship when they do not live together and do not have any sexual contact. This person also asked me why God would put homosexuals on earth and what is their purpose.

[quote=cleofet]Someone just ask me the question “What is the Catholic Churches stance on two people of the same sex (homosexuals) being in a relationship when they do not live together and do not have any sexual contact.

Sounds like something called “friendship” to me. Pretty harmless stuff, I’ve been told.:cool:

This person also asked me why God would put homosexuals on earth…

[/quote]

To complicate the otherwise perfectly normal lives of us heterosexuals.:bigyikes:

[quote=cleofet]Someone just ask me the question “What is the Catholic Churches stance on two people of the same sex (homosexuals) being in a relationship when they do not live together and do not have any sexual contact.

Well that would mean the two are in an emotional relationship only, but just as with heterosexual singles, lust is lust and falls under adultery. A single male commits sin when he lusts over a single female, say, in a long distance romance setting. They can love each other, certainly, but when they role play in their hearts or minds the sexual aspect of their relationship then they’ve crossed the line. Even married couples can fall into the sin of lust when the husband or wife uses the other for sexual release only.

Now if these two don’t sin of the heart or mind with regard to each other then the whole set up of the question is pointless. The ‘relationship’ they share is friendship between two people who are individually homosexual but they have no desires for each other in that way.

Bottom line is the Catholic Church regards the dignity of each human to be pivotal to a life of Christ. We must treat each other with respect at all times for who we are - bodies of Christ, temples of His Spirit within us.

This person also asked me why God would put homosexuals on earth and what is their purpose.

[/quote]

[font=Arial] Every person is on this earth to fulfill God’s purpose. EVERY person. What that purpose is is between God and that person and gets revealed in time, sometimes not until death. Most times we get indications along the way through other people we meet over time. A happy celibate homosexual person who chooses to remain celibate out of his/her love for God is a wonderful testimony to everyone that person comes in contact with of God’s love for each and every one of His creations. Their example will draw many others out of their sinful lifestyle into the loving arms of Christ. Through that person souls are saved and brought to Him and that really is what God wants most from each of us.[/font]

[quote=cleofet]This person also asked me why God would put homosexuals on earth and what is their purpose.
[/quote]

Like all other human disorders, homosexuality has its roots in Adam’s sin; it was not part of God’s original design for mankind.

Like everyone else, God made homosexuals “to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in the next.” (Baltimore Catechism 2, answer 6)

[quote=cleofet] This person also asked me why God would put homosexuals on earth and what is their purpose.
[/quote]

The argument that “God made them that way, therefore it is OK for homosexuals to live it to the fullest” is just plain silly.

“Since God gave me this strong desire to be drunk (alcoholism), it is therefore not sinful if I get drunk every day.”

“Since God gave me a very strong sexual appetite, it is therefore OK for me (in this case, a man) to have sex with a woman as much as I crave it, married or not.”

“Since God made me get strong pleasure from torturing animals, it is fine with Him if I find stray cats and dogs and do as I please to them.”

This list like this is almost endless, and every one of them is ludicrous, especially to a sincere Christian. Why should homosexual inclinations be treated any differently?

The answer: it should not.

We are all, because of Adam’s sin, subject to an inclination towards sin in many different forms. Homosexuality is just one of them (although a very dangerous one).

God calls us to holiness. We must, therefore, avoid sin and seek holiess wherever we can, constantly denying the things that tempt us to sin. Some have stronger temptations than others, but all are called to take up their crosses and follow Christ.

Peace,
javelin

[/quote]

I suppose it depends on whether this relatinship amounts to a “near occasion of sin”, or whether they are able to remain chaste (mentally as well as physically-not engaging in sexual fantansies) while continuing this relationship.

This person also asked me why God would put homosexuals on earth and what is their purpose.

The same as everyone else: to know, love, and serve God in this life and be happy with Him forever in the next.

[quote=cleofet]. This person also asked me why God would put homosexuals on earth and what is their purpose.
[/quote]

this question, hard to read because it is so tiny, makes an assumption that is a fallacy. We know that the homosexual inclination is a disorder in normal human sexuality, an intrinsic personality disorder. Number one, no one knows the cause for sure. There is no evidence that anyone is endowed with the homosexual trait or inclination as part of his genetic makeup. None, not a shred of evidence. It has been shown in animal experiments that some prenatal influence, hormones, chemical etc., can cause offspring to display opposite sex behavior, i.e. to be disordered in normal animal sexuality for that species, but that is not the same thing as being created that way. so it is a fallacy to declare that “God made me this way so I am free to express my desires and tendencies as I choose.”

Number two, even if a “homosexual gene” is identified someday, that does not mean that evolution of that gene was part of God’s plan. For instance, diabetes is a disorder of normal human metabolism which carries a lot of damaging side effects, and can predispose some people to inordinate desires to ingest substances very harmful to them-alcohol, sugars etc. To accept this line of reasoning state by OP’s question is to suggest that God deliberately creates a gene or propensity for this disorder in diabetics. The same could be said of those with Down’s syndrome or other genetically linked disorders.

Disorder is never God’s will. Like all disorder in the created universe, it results from original sin, the introduction of the propensity to go against God’s will, into creation by our first parents. Note this does not mean inherited disorders are the result of personal sin by either the individual or his parents. God allows the resulting evil that infects the universe to afflict individuals for His own purposes, but he does not will or cause evil because to do so is contrary to His nature. What he wills and causes is always good. The evils that befall humanity are used by God to effect good in the individual, to bring him closer to God, to perfect his soul.

The person afflicted with homosexual inclinations bears a heavy cross, as does the person afflicted with any other disorder of personality, mental or physical development etc. Each of these individuals in cooperating with and trusting in God can allow God to turn an apparent evil into a source of good for the person in this life and the next.

Ooops - I see Todd beat me to it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.