Why I am not a Christian?

Why I am not a Christian?

I have never been a Christian nor will I ever become a Christian because of these main reasons:

1- Christianity is man-made religion. it contradicts pure monotheism which all previous prophets taught

2- It is vague when it speaks of a man being God at the same time , and being the son of himself?!

3- it accuses me of being guilty of an alleged sin which I have nothing to do with… Why are we being punished for Adam’s sin? After all, he ate the forbidden fruit, we didn’t. It’s his problem, not ours, especially in light of Deut. 24:16, which says children shall not be punished for the sins of their fathers.

4- It makes God look so helpless and blood thirsty because He could not forgive Adam & Eve and required the torture humiliation of himself to forgive them ??!! in other words He killed himself to please himself!

5- the Bible is full of contradictions, scientific and historical mistakes which proves it is man made

6- If you must accept Jesus as your Savior in order to be saved (John 14:6), what about the billions of beings that die as fetuses, infants, and mentally deficient, etc.? For them to accept Jesus would be impossible. So they are condemned to hell because of conditions over which they had no control. Deut. 32:4 says God is just, but where is the justice?

1. If God had created Adam and Eve to stay in Heavens, was He unable to protect them from Satan? Did He warn them against obeying Satan by telling them the consequences if they did?
    The fact is: When God created Adam & Eve, HE put them in Paradise & warned them against obeying Satan, & told them that if they did obey him, they will be kicked out of Paradise.

We know the rest of the story. Of course it was Gods plan all along to have Adam & Eve live here on earth, but He made them go through that experience with Satan as a practical lesson for all of us so that we know what happens to us if we disobey God & obey Satan, unless you think God planned for them to stay in Paradise forever but was unable to protect them from Satan.

8- salvation either wipes out all sins, or it does not.
If the first case is true, then it leads to what we say that Christianity encourages people to do whatever they please.

If the second case is the fact, then there is no need to what Jesus PBUH had gone through.

1. Christians worship more than one God, ie Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Christians say that it is only one God, however even their most knowledgeable priests cannot completely explain the trinity.

2. Christians disregard the laws of the Old Testament, and have made it legal for themselves to do sinful acts such as eating pork, drinking alcohol, and not circumcising their sons.

3. Christians depict images of holy figures such as Jesus, Mary, saints, and other prophets and use those images to direct their worship. I regard this as idolatry, and also as disregarding the second of the ten commandments:

“You shall have no other gods besides Me…Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above…”

1. Most Christians insult other religions/religious leaders such as Muslims. This tells me that they have very little tolerance and believe that they have a monopoly on truth; therefore they are unwilling to consider any other religions’ beliefs.

2. Most of the Christians practices in Church and in their homes were invented after the time of Jesus. Almost everything Christians due whether it is standing in church singing songs to hanging crosses on their necks is an innovation.

so i am proud to be Muslim cuz its the unique true God’s religion.
peace…

Wow, that’s alot of ground to cover. Probably too hard to address each issue in this thread.

Let me ask you a simple question:
Do you believe Jesus was crucified?

P.S. The following link contains some historical and scientific facts regarding the crucifixion…
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=1706005#post1706005

You are doing exactly this…. You are insulting Christianity and our religious leaders, saying that they have fabricated Christianity. Yare are telling us that you and Islam has a monopoly on the truth and are therefore unwilling to consider any other religion’s beliefs.

It seems that you are accusing others of doing exactly what you are actually doing.

Christianity believes in and worships ONE God. There are no other Gods the Yahweh. Christianity is monotheism.

You have been taught otherwise because your religious leaders have to do this to justify your faith. In order for Islam to exist it has to destroy Judaism and Christianity.

You are trying to limit God to only that which you can imagine. You are a mere human, God is not constrained by your limited imagination/understanding. He will do as he see fit no matter how limited your mind is. God spoke to Moses from a burning bush.

He choose to speak to mankind from a human body… the body of Jesus. If he wanted to talk to us from a lamp post I can assure you He will do it and not ask your permission first before doing so.
The concept of the trinity is really an easy one. God has chosen to show three aspects of Himself to mankind… the Creator (Father), the Savior (Jesus) and the Redeemer (The Holy Spirit).

When you make this claim are you talking about the Old Testament, New Testament or both?

**What appear to be contradictions in the Bible occur when two or more people are talking about the same thing. For example in one place it talks about the size of a military, meaning those who are present at a particular battle. In another place it gives a different number for the military of that nation… but the second number is the number of the entire military, not just those present at the battle.

As for historical mistakes. Please do enlighten us. We know that the Qur’an retells the biblical stories changing them. The Bible was written closer to the time of these things occurring, if there is error between the books, it must be with the book that was written at least 700 years after the NT and thousands of years after the OT.

Scientific errors? Do you mistake the Bible for a book of science? The bible is a book so religion and spirituality, not of science. Some Muslims make the mistake of trying to prove the authenticity of the Qur’an by pointing out what they call ‘science’ in the Qur’an. I’ve spend many hours debunking that nonsense. The Qur’an does not contain any science. All that you will do in trying to prove this is to drive people away from your religion. The Qur’an, like the bible is not a book of science.

Those who, though no fault of their own, do not get a chance accept the faith are of course shown God’s mercy. The Catholic Church believes that they obtain salvation. Sine you do not know this about Christianity, I guess you just do not really know as much as you think you do.

From what you posted, it seems that you have been taught this and other untruths about Christianity. Now why are those who are teaching you telling you these untruths. What is their aim? What do they personally have to gain from teaching you and others things that are not true? Ask yourself this and contemplate it.

Of course God knew what they would do. He knows all things.

If you think that the story of Adam and Eve makes God look blood thristy, unjust and helpless then you do not understand God or these stories. Perhaps we can all discuss this more here.

Your assumptions here are wrong. The idea of original sin is not necessary to get people to believe in Yahweh and to follow Him.
Look at you, your follow Allah without believing in original sin. Why would anyone require such a belief to believe in God?

Jesus set aside many of these laws. The NT talks about this. This is another thing that we could all discuss here if you are truly interested in knowing why we believe what we do about the laws.

Idolarty is when a person worships an object. Christians do not worthip objects. You use the Qur’an to guide your worships right? That is an object. Things such as icons are no different then a book… they tell the story of the scriptures or remind me of a story in the scriptures. The written word is not the only way that humans communicate. The use of these items came from a time when most people could not read. So people used pictures and statues as teaching aids and then to remind people of the biblical stories during worship.

You quote a biblical verse that says to not make images. Might I remind you that the verse came from the very bible you trashed as unreliable earlier. So do you believe what the Bible says? Or do you use it for your convenience to support your points? It is either all true or all false. Your really do need to make up your mind.

The biblical verse “You shall have no other gods besides Me…Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above…”. Is not talking about never, ever creating an object of art that depicts things. It’s saying to not create images of other gods or idols to worship. It’s not wise to take a biblical passage out of context of the entire bible. We need to look at the other things that the bible says about images, sculptures, etc.

(You really should read this link as it goes further into this topic.
greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00AlMa

What we see in the below biblical quotes is that God does allow the use of statues, icons, painting and art when it is used to glorify Him. Again we are not allowed to worship these objects, but they can be used in ceremonial ways such as the snake staff to heal people and in the way of glorifying Him, and to remind us of Him and His word.

“And you shall make two cherubim of gold *; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and one cherub on the other end; of one piece of the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be” (Ex. 25:18-20).]

David gave Solomon the plan “for the altar of incense made of refined gold, and its weight; also his plan for the golden chariot of the cherubim that spread their wings and covered the ark of the covenant of the Lord. All this he made clear by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all, all the work to be done according to the plan” (1 Chr. 28:18-19). Note that all this was directed according to divinely inspired writing.

Ezekiel 41:15 describes graven images in the Temple: “on the walls round about in the inner room and [on] the nave were carved likenesses of cherubim.” Ex:25:22: And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubims which are upon the ark of the testimony, of all things which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel. Ex:37:7: And he made two cherubims of gold, beaten out of one piece made he them, on the two ends of the mercy seat; Ex:37:8: One cherub on the end on this side, and another cherub on the other end on that side: out of the mercy seat made he the cherubims on the two ends thereof.

Ex:37:9: And the cherubims spread out their wings on high, and covered with their wings over the mercy seat, with their faces one to another; even to the mercy seatward were the faces of the cherubims. Heb:9:5, 6: And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly. 6. Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.

During a plague of serpents he sent to punish the wicked Israelites, God told Moses to “make [a statue of] a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it shall live. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live” (Num. 21:8-9). The fact that one had to look at the bronze statue of the serpent in order to be healed shows that statues could be used ritually, not merely as religious decorations.

Of course all Christian practices come into being after the death of Jesus. Until He was crusified, there were not Christian worship so it was Jewish worship until then.

You obviously don’t know that Jews stand during prayers. When Christian kneel they are bowing to God. Do you really think that God cares if we are standing or laying on the floor when we pray? I think not.

As I recall, Islam did not exist until the late 600’s. So to say that everything that Christians do was invented and an innovation as compared to Islam is, well ridiculous. It is Islam that took the practices of the pagans, Jews and Christians and modified them for their own use.

Having lived in a Muslim country as a young girl and having spend several years studying Islam, the Qur’an, Hadiths and Sahri’ah law, I can tell you that I am sooooo glad that I am not Muslim.

I wouldn’t want to be a Christian either if what you said was 100% correct lightofeyes.

But we Christians know better.

Tell me, do you ride a donkey to work lightofeyes?

Noooo, I want to know if she drinks camel urine… :rolleyes:

Whatever. There’s no point in responding to your post because you are only interested in your own point-of-view. You really should learn about Christianity before attacking it.

God bless you,
Noel.

Hi
Jesus could not and did not die on Cross. He prayed that he should be saved, so he was saved by GodAllahYHWH.He later died a natural respectful death.
Kindly view the following:
tombofjesus.com/

Did Jesus die on the Cross? A BBC documentary
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1669658378154953060&q
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

What you relate here is a distortion put forth in the Qur’an. Why? Because in order to justify itself, Islam must demost Christ to a mere prophet. It’s a self serving rewrite of history.

Neither of the links that you provide are accurate sources. Both have a few things in common… both seek to destroy Christianity. It seems to be a hobby of many today, to include you.

In response to your questions:

1. The same argument could be made about Islam. It starts with a prophet (Mohammed) who handed on the faith via oral traditions and the Qu’ran, which was codified by various people. Every world religion does start with an experience of the numinous, but it also always involves people carrying on the primordial revelation and continuing it in tradition. In this sense, there is nothing special about Christianity having human origins.

2. While the idea of a God-man might offend your sensibilities, it is central to all of our doctrines of salvation.

3. Sin is mentioned a lot in the Bible and Qu’ran also. While Islam to my knowledge does not have a doctrine of original sin, we have it to try and explain why many human beings behave in an evil manner and also turn from God when they should worship and adore him.

4. The incarnation was not made to placate a bloodthirsty God but to redeem human beings and allow them to have their relationship with God repaired and restored.

5. This seems strange for you to argue since Muslims as I understood it, accepted the Bible as an authentic revelation from God.

6. It is not certain those not in Christ by reason of no fault of their own (including the unbaptised or mentally ill) are damned. The Church does say we entrust such people to God’s mercy and compassion, which are emphasized very much in Christianity.

7. This is something of a mystery. The episode in Genesis tells us in mythical terms what it was that separated humans from their original primordial rightness with God; Adam and Eve were not celestial beings like angels but physical human beings like we are. What differed was God at some point in the past offered the ancestors of all humanity an intimate relationship with him beyond that of other created creatures on Earth. For some reason our ancestors rejected this, partly because they were deceived by forces in the realm of the numuinous (represented by the serpent/Satan) and also partly because of their own choice (eating from the tree of good and evil).

8. In Christian belief, the sacrament of baptism erases all sins, both personal and any from original sin. Sins after baptism are wiped out by participating in the eucharist, acts of charity, and sacramental confession (In Catholic Christianity).

9. We do worship only one God, who exists in one Being or Essence but as three persons. The Godhead is One as it is in Islam or Judaism but we differ from Islam and Judaism in that the Godhead has three distinct persons present there, all divine. This is a mystery as to ‘how’ and is beyond our ability to comprehend, but it is a central belief, but it does not compromise the absolute unity of the Godhead or the divine essence or being.

10. We do not reject the OT commandments, we follow the Ten Commandments of the Decalogue, and the breaking of any of these laws is a deadly sin.

11. We do make images but we don’t worship them. They are used to point to invisible reality which is beyond seeing and comprehension. The same thing occurs in the calligraphic writing in Islamic art or the patterned tiling inside Mosques which does not aim to represent the ineffable exactly, but points to what is infinite and unseen. Icons, paintings and church architecture are the same in Christianity; why after all was the Hagia Sophia not destroyed on conquest, but made right into a mosque?

12. This can happen with some fanatics and bigots, but the same also occurs with some fundamentalist Muslims towards Christians and for that matter towards non-Christian faiths as well… I agree more tolerance is needed, but Christian tolerance also means we are due Muslim tolerance as well. I myself have studied Islam in some depth, including its philosophy and mystical practices. I admire the beauty and holiness which exists in Islam, in its Sunni and Shia branches, and the respect and honour Muslims pay to God. You should not assume all Christians are not interested in religions beside their own, as all Truth, including in religion, must come from God.

13. I am sure also in Islamic worship, many practices and devotions come from the time after Muhammed lived. This is not to disrespect this great man, but even if some of our practices are innovations, it does not mean we are not honouring God.

Your view of “Original sin” is incorrect. By eating the forbidden fruit, mankind lost the saving grace of God. Therefore all humans are born without saving grace. To be without saving grace is to be in a state of sin. It’s not a personal sin we choose to commit, but a state of being in which we are cleaned through baptism.

I get the feeling most of you already know, but just for good measure… Everyone here should know that the OP is just a troll who makes hit-and-run selling points for Islam and/or slings mud at Christianity and then simply ignores all the responses later on. This person is not interested in discussing anything.

In short, don’t waste your time with him/her/it.

Actually… we follow the moral precepts prescribed in them, we do not follow the commandments literally, which is what some groups have a problem with. For example, we do not observe the Jewish Sabbath of the third commandment. (Which is on Friday-Saturday) We also do create statues and images of those things on heaven and earth, even though commanded not to create them in the commandments. But we do keep the moral purpose of the law, which was to forbid idolatry.

We do not observe the ceremonial aspects but do observe the moral aspects, replacing them instead with Christian ceremonial observances.

CCC - 2175 Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ’s Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man’s eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ: 107

2190 The sabbath, which represented the completion of the first creation, has been replaced by Sunday which recalls the new creation inaugurated by the Resurrection of Christ.

Hence we keep a Sabbath, but not the 7th day Sabbath as commanded in the 10 Commandments. The only reason I bring these two example up is because I think it is important to see where some of those outside our own faith are confused… i.e. we say we keep the commandments, but then, we dont strictly keep them. Our understanding of keep them is often different than other groups.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.