Why I Can't Be Catholic

As a nonCatholic Christian, I personally feel so much freedom. I feel happy, full of God, and peaceful. I feel safe and secure in Jesus Christ. Confident and prepared for His coming.

But as a Catholic, I feel scared. I feel agony, fear, anxiety, worry, etc. I feel like I’m dishonoring God by talking to other heavenly creatures.

Is it not right to go with my conscience? Or would it be better for me to live a life in constant fear?

Why are you so afraid? Do you think that being a faithful Christian means you’ll always feel “safe and secure”?

Also, you might want to consider the fact that the Church is God’s family: He wants you to have a relationship with all of your brothers and sisters in Christ, even if they’re not currently present on earth. :wink:

Yes, it is important to go with you conscience however it is also important to make sure your conscience is well formed. After all, how many people commit sin each day without a prickle from their consciences?

Forgive me for prying, but is there something you would have to sacrifice to be Catholic? Are you afraid of giving it up?

And have you considered that maybe, just maybe, this fear you’re experiencing is only temporary and the work of the evil one?

Here’s my :twocents: (for what they’re worth):

Stop, take a deep breath and take a break from the forum. Go pray, read Scripture, and spend time with the Blessed Sacrament.

I’ll pray that the peace which surpasses all understanding with be with you.

:heart: Love is Patient

I ask you Tris to consider just one thing:

Are you searching for a religion that you can 'feel good about". . .or are you searching for the truth?

Ultimately the truth will set you free. . .but it may not be easy along the way. The rich young man, who was feeling really good about following all the rules wound up rejecting the truth because it made him **sad to think about giving up his many possessions.[size=2]

**Are you willing to give up everything for Christ, as St. Paul did? Or do you want to do only what makes you ‘feel good’ but stop short when it doesn’t ‘feel’ good anymore?
[/size]

Praise be to God.

But as a Catholic, I feel scared. I feel agony, fear, anxiety, worry, etc. I feel like I’m dishonoring God by talking to other heavenly creatures.

I hear this sort of thing from Protestants a lot, and I feel that there is a certain amount of misunderstanding about what is and is not required within the Catholic Church.
First of all I am assuming by, “heavenly creatures” you are refering to the saints and the Blessed Virgin. Please consider this. If God created such “heavenly creatures” for the purpose of aiding us then why should you feel as though you are dishonoring God?
However to address your discomfort. There is nothing in the Catholic Church’s teachings that requires one to pray to anyone other than God. Praying to saints, while they are good and powerful intercessors, is in the sphere of private devotion and not a dogmatic requirement. So, if you feel uncomfortable about asking Mary’s help then don’t. If you feel more comfortable praying directly to the Father, or to Jesus, then that is how you should proceed.

Is it not right to go with my conscience? Or would it be better for me to live a life in constant fear?

Yes it is right to go with your conscience in this matter, and as I outlined above, there is nothing in this that precludes you from both being Catholic and praying only to Jesus and the Father.
In all likelihood, after a time, you will feel less stress and worry about talking to “Mom” as well as “Dad”.

Peace
James

I would love to become Catholic. I just see these contradictions between Catholicism and God’s Word and I can’t help but think I’m twisting Scripture to support Catholicism.

I’m seeking Truth. I found Him, Jesus. Now, I’m trying to find out if this church’s claims to be His Church are true.

There is no other name we must be saved by other than Jesus. So why do I have to be saved by the name Catholic?

Thanks a bunch

Properly formed Catholic consciences live lives of properly reasonable fear. God did not make us social creatures so that we could speak only to Him. Did the Son of God not speak to anyone except God during His earthly sojourn? Did He not commune with Moses and Elijah before the Father expressed His approval?

As a craddle Catholic, who at the age of 19 walked away from the Catholic Church and then returned at age 50, I do understand what you are saying. I left the Church and went to Protestent churchs for Several years. I felt “happy” and “peaceful”…for many many of those years. I didn’t feel the “pressure” any longer of the “ruels” placed on me by the “Catholic Church”. I had more “freedom” (or so I thought) in the Protesent Church.

Although I adored Mary and the Saints, I could never get into praying to them to ask me for help from God. I just didn’t “get it” back then. Today, I can honestly say, I still don’t pray to them and ask for help; however, I have been “thinking” a lot more about them and doing more research on them, not only in reading books, but also the Bible about such things as this. If I never get to the point in my life to go to Mary or the Saints to interseed for me, I have no doubt, that I’ll be ok.

As time went on in the Protesent Churchs, I found more and more in the Bible that the Protesent Churchs were “leaving out”. Several questions couldn’t be answered that I had asked questions to. And I must thank the Protesent Churchs for having the Bible Studies and showing me just what they were leaving out, when questions came up.

So I started to get to the point I wanted to throw up my hands at the whole “Religious Thing”.

But instead, I decided to do my own “homework” on how we got the Bible, what was the first church that Jesus started and what did Jesus/God say about His Church.

Once I started to find the true answers, I knew where I had to be, back in the Catholic Church. Do I feel any pressure? Not at all, I feel more “Freedom” then ever before. As someone has already said, “The Truth will set you Free.”

The best advice I can give you, is “Search for the Truth and nothing but the Truth.” Ask yourself a few simple questions.

1. What Did Jesus say to Peter. (read all of it.)

2. What Church has been around for over 2,000 years and even the gates of Hell will not prevail against it. (keeping in mind that we are not juding the people in the church,but the Church and what she stand for.)

3. Search and find out who compiled the complete Bible together.

Once you’ve answered these three questions and read the Gospels, you’ll have your answer.

May God Bless you on your journey.

You will not be saved by the name Catholic, we Catholics are saved through the Body of Christ, the Catholic Church.

Because of the limitations put upon human communication, we need to be called something, and we were once the only people called Christian until that name got applied to Protestants as well. So we are fully Christian in that we fully follow Christ, and we are Catholic because He came for all mankind and Catholic means universal: Go out and teach *all *nations.

WI have heard that when John Newman was becoming convinced that Catholicism was the way to go, he prayed that God would guide him and show him which church was correct.

I went to protestant churches for a couple of years after I realized that Christianity was correct, but when I found out more about theology and Catholic theology, I realized that the Catholic Church was where I needed to be in order to truly follow Christ.

All Protestants want to take Scripture as judge. And to this we answer Amen: but we say that our difference is not there; it is here, that in the disagreements, which we shall have over the interpretation, and which will occur at every two words, we shall need a judge. They answer that we must decide the interpretation of Scripture by collating passage with passage and the whole with the Creed. Amen, Amen, we say: but we do not ask how we ought to interpret the Scripture, but—who shall be the judge? For after having compared passages with passages, and the whole with the Creed, we find by this passage: Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I shall build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it, and I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 16), that S. Peter has been chief minister and supreme steward in the Church of God: you say, on your side that this passage: The kings of the nations lord it over them…but you not so (Luke 22), or this other (for they are all so weak that I know not what may be your main authority): No one can lay another foundation, &c. (1 Cor. 3:11), compared with the other passages and the Creed makes you detest a chief minister. The two of us follow one same way in our enquiry concerning the truth in this question—namely, whether there is in the Church a Vicar General of Our Lord—and yet I have arrived at the affirmative and you, you have ended in the negative; who now shall judge of our difference? Here lies the essential point as between you and me. I quite admit, be it said in passing, that he who shall enquire of Protestants will say that you have reasoned better than I, but on what does he rely for this judgment except on what seems good to himself, according to the prejudgment he has formed of the matter long ago? and he may say what he likes, for who has made him judge between you and me?
Recognize, Christians, the spirit of division: your people send you to the Scriptures; we are there before you came into the world, and what we believe, we find there clear and plain. But it must be properly understood, adapting passage to passage, the whole to the Creed; we are at this now fifteen hundred years and more. You are mistaken, answers Luther. Who told you so? Scripture. What Scripture? Such and such, collated so, and fitted to the Creed. On the contrary, say I, it is you, Luther, who are mistaken: the Scripture tells me so, in such and such a passage, nicely joined and adjusted to such and such a Scripture, and to the articles of the faith. I am not in doubt, as to whether we must give belief to the holy Word; who knows not that it is in the supreme degree of certitude? What exercises me is the understanding of this Scripture—the consequences and conclusions drawn from it, which being different beyond and very often contradictory on the same point, so that each one chooses his own, one here the other there—who shall make me see truth through so many vanities? Who shall give me to see this Scripture in its native color? For the neck of this dove changes its appearance as often as those who look upon it change position and distance. The Scripture is a most holy and infallible touchstone; every proposition, which stands this test I accept as most faithful and sound. But what am I to do, when I have in my hands this proposition: the natural body of our Lord is really, substantially and actually in the Holy Sacrament of the Altar. I have it touched at every angle and on every side, by the express and purest word of God, and by the Apostles’ Creed. There is no place when I do not rub it a hundred times, if you like. And the more I examine it the finer gold and purer metal do I recognize it to be made of. You say that having done the same you find base metal in it. What do you want me to do? All these masters have handled it already, and all have come to the same decision as I, and with such assurance, that in general assemblies of the craft, they have turned out all who said differently. Good heavens! who shall resolve our doubts? We must not speak again of the touchstone or it will be said: The wicked walk about in circles (Ps. 12:8).
We must have some one to take it up, and to test the piece himself; then he must give judgment, and we must submit, both of us, and argue no more. Otherwise each one will believe what he likes. Let us take care lest with regard to these words we be drawing the Scripture after our notions, instead of following it. If the salt hath lost its savor, with what shall it be salted? (Matt. 5:13). If the Scripture be the subject of our disagreement, who shall decide? Ah! whoever says that Our Lord has placed us in the bark of his Church, at the mercy of the winds and of the tide, instead of giving us a skilful pilot perfectly at home, by nautical art, with chart and compass, such a one says that he wishes our destruction. Let him have placed therein the most excellent compass and the most correct chart in the world, what use are these if no one knows how to gain from them some infallible rule for directing the ship? Of what use is the best of rudders if there is no steersman to move it as the ship’s course requires? But if every one is allowed to turn it in the direction he thinks good, who sees not that we are lost? It is not the Scripture which requires a foreign light or rule, as Protestants think we believe; it is our glosses, our conclusions, understandings, interpretations, conjectures, additions, and other such workings of man’s brain, which, being unable to be quiet, is ever busied about new inventions. Certainly we do not want a judge to decide between us and God. It is between a man such as Calvin, Luther, Beza, and another such as Eckius, Fisher, More; for we do not ask whether God understands the Scripture better than we do, but whether Calvin understands it better than S. Augustine or S. Cyprian. S. Hilary says excellently (Lib. 2 de Trin. xviii.) “Heresy is in the understanding, not in the Scripture, and the fault is in the meaning, not in the words.” and S. Augustine (In Joan. Tr. xviii, i.): “Heresies arise simply from this, that good Scriptures are ill-understood, and what is ill-understood in them is also rashly and presumptuously given forth.”

-St. Francis de Sales, “The Catholic Controversy,” excerpt of chapter 1, slightly modified. Perhaps you should get a copy – it is my opinion that it will answer your questions, and I do not believe that a Protestant, sincere in his search, could remain separate from the Church if he read this book by the great Doctor of the Faith, St. Francis de Sales. :slight_smile:

God bless!
-Dmar198

Tristan, you might find the site very helpful:

scripturecatholic.com/

The menu on the left side has pretty much every topic non-Catholics have difficulty accepting. The site provide Scriptural references along with quotes from the early Church Fathers.

I am Proud of the Catholic Church and to be Catholic?

1.Catholic Church was prefigured by Old Testament prophets.
2.Catholic Church has a Holy Founder in Jesus Christ.
3.Catholic Church was built upon the Rock of Peter and the foundation of the Apostles.
4.God guaranteed that the Gates of Hell would not prevail against it.
5.Jesus Christ said it would last forever, as He would be with it always.
6.Therefore it can be found in every day, in every century, from the time He said it.
7.Jesus Christ left His legacy, the Kingdom of GOD, His Church, to the care of the Apostles.
8.Catholic Church is guided by the Holy Spirit. Acts 15:28
9.Catholic Church is a living Church.
10.Catholic Church is the Mystical Body of Christ.
11.Catholic Church can neither be confused nor separated from its head.
12.The thread of the Church is woven throughout Holy Scripture.
Catholic Church is a Christ based Church, whereas the Bible is Catholic Church based.
13.Catholic Church has all of the pieces to the puzzle.
14.Catholic Church is indefectible. Ephesians 5:27
15.Catholic Church is The Bride of Christ.
16.Catholic Church is infallible in matters of faith and morals since it is guided by the Holy Spirit.
17.Catholic Church is infallible in its teaching of Holy Scripture since it is guided by the Holy Spirit.
18.Catholic Church fits the blueprint laid out for it in Holy Scripture.
19.Catholic Church is a visible Church that could not be hidden.
20.Jesus Christ would be the invisible head and we, the body of His Church.
21.His Church would cover the earth. Matthew 28:19, Acts 1:8.
22.GOD appointed a visible Father Figure to shepherd His flock on earth, as He had always done.
23.Catholic Church is the Pillar and the Foundation of Truth. 1Timothy 3:15
24.Catholic Church alone has the fullness of truth.
25.GOD’s Church would have an hierarchal form of government.
26.GOD’s Church would have Bishops, Priests, and Deacons within it.
27.Catholic Church has a system of Apostolic Succession in order to perpetuate the visible Church on earth.
28.Catholic Church is traceable through an unbroken line of Apostolic Succession all the way back to St. Peter.
29This unbroken line is shown in secular encyclopedias as well as Catholic archives.
30.Catholic Church has a succession of truth in teaching all the way from 31.Jesus Christ down to present day Bishops.
32.Catholic Church is almost 1500 years older than the oldest Protestant church.
33.Catholic Church has the authority to abolish or enforce rules of conduct, through binding and loosing.
34.Catholic Church has the authority to forgive or to retain sins, through binding and loosing. John 20:21-23
35.Catholic Church teaches that we are not automatically saved, but our salvation depends upon us as well.
36.Catholic Church has the authority to form Councils when needed, in order to settle the issues that arise. Acts 15
37.Catholic Church was given the authority to decide the Canons of both the Old and New Testaments of Scripture.
38.Catholic Church decided the Canon of both testaments by infallible decision of several Councils.
39.Catholic Church more finely develops revealed public revelation.
40.Catholic Church does not twist Scripture to conform to its teachings. It conforms its teaching to Scripture.
41.Catholic Church has faithfully copied and preserved Holy Scripture down through the ages.
42.Catholic Church has known that The Word was Heard and not Read by the masses before the printing press.
43.Catholic Church has the final authority. Matthew 18:15-18
44.Catholic Church holds many traditions which are followed by Catholics and Protestants alike.
45.Catholic Church is an “And” Church, not “Or”.
46.Catholic Church is a teaching Church as commanded by Holy Scripture.
47.Catholic Church is consistent in its teaching and does not ‘flip-flop’ as do other churches for the whims of people.
48.Catholic Church faithfully feeds the sheep as commanded by Jesus Christ.
49.Catholic Church is rock solid and unchanging in its teaching.
50.Catholic Church stands upon a solid three legged stool, of Scripture, of Apostolic Tradition, and the Magisterium.
51.Catholic Church is the guardian of both Sacred Scripture and of Sacred Tradition.
52.Catholic Church has the True Presence of Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist. Matthew 26:26
53.The Apostles knew that the truth was in Jesus Christ and in His one true Church.
54.Catholic Church has Eucharistic Adoration.
55.Catholic Church offers a clean oblation around the world and around the clock, in the Holy Mass. Malachi 1:11
56.In every minute of every day, a Mass is being celebrated somewhere.
57.Catholic Church venerates Christ on the Cross as a sacrifice and not just a plain cross devoid of Christ.
58.Catholic Church preaches the Gospel to the whole world. Matthew 24:14
59.Catholic Church has produced many thousands of Holy Saints.
60.The Church venerates the Mother of GOD. Luke 1:26-56
61.The Church venerates the Saints who have done so much for it.
62.The Mother of GOD is also the Mother of the Church. John 19:26-27
63.Catholic Church has all seven Sacraments.
64.Catholic Church treats marriage as a Sacrament.
65.Catholic Church has an annulment procedure.
66.Catholic Church has many varied Devotions.
67.Catholic Church can be found by its name, the Catholic Church, in thousands of early writings.
68.Catholic Church can be shown from these same writings that it is the same Church which Jesus Christ founded.
69.Catholic Church houses the remains of all of the Apostles and Gospel writers.
70.Catholic Church is the New Jerusalem.
71.Catholic Church is our Mother Church.
72.Catholic Church has withstood the ravages of thousands of detractors and heretics from its very foundation.
73.Catholic Church has performed many successful exorcisms.
74.Catholic Church is unbending and unmovable in its pro-life stance.
75.Catholic Church has scores of separate services of help. 1Corinthians 12:28
76.Catholic Church preaches the Word of GOD to the entire world through E.W.T.N. and other resources.
77.Catholic Church tries to unite all of Christianity into one fold.
78.Catholic Church has incredible openness.
79.Catholic Church Has provided us with a comprehensive catechism.
80.Catholic Church has a vast influx of intellectuals
sdtouchton.webs.com/proud2bcatholic.htm

great post!!!

I am going to make a couple of assumptions here, ocrrect me if I am wrong.
You have already been to a Catholic Church and Mass and felt a great attraction in these.
What other things have you found to be attractive about The Catholic Church?
This will help us to focus our help.

Basically the problem you have regarding the “Church’s Claims” is one of a historical nature. I’m sure you realize that the Catholic Church, along with the Orthodox can be easily traced back to Apostolic times. Not so for any of the Protestant denominations.

You express a concern about the apparent “contradictions” between catholic teachings and “God’s Word”. By God’s Word I assume you mean the bible. About this I would ask you to investigate just where when and how the bible you hold in your hands came about. Which Church group formed the Bible into the OT and NT? Which Church translated it, protected it, taught from it, spread it all through the known world for 1000 years before the Protestant reformation?
What you will find out is that it is the Catholic Church who assembled the Bible we use today. Would it make sense that the Church who assembled the Bible would include books contrary to what it teaches?

You are not twisting scripture to support cathoicism, you are untwisting the errant interpretations of it that have clouded your eyes. Just like Paul, the scales are beginning to fall from your eyes.

Yes we are saved by the name of Christ. By coming home to His Church, to which you feel drawn, you will enter into the fullness of the Truth and grace he has reserved in the Church for you.

Peace
James

Tristin,
I know others here are trying to be kind to you, so maybe my response to you will seem rather harsh. If so, so be it. This intial post comes off as very combative.
I counted six ‘feels’ in your post. Even as a Baptist minister I used to tell my congregations to be wary of ‘feelings’, they can be very deceptive. Truth is not based on emotion, it can produce emotion, but it is not based on emotion. Emotionally stable people know how to control or identify emotions that contridict the logical expression they see in front of themselves. Perhaps you’re young and haven’t mastered this yet. I would suggest you learn how. Most problems people get into are based on how they ‘felt’ at one time or another instead of ‘thinking’ it through.
You say as a Catholic you are scared, in agony, fear, anxiety, worry and so on.
With all due respect, Tristin…Huh?
Being Catholic is making you miserable? That makes no sense at all. I have never been happier in my life than since I reverted. I would imagine every convert and revert on this board will attest to that.
Perhaps your misery is coming from another source? If it is, there is NO CHURCH under heaven Catholic or Protestant that will EVER make you happy until you figure out WHAT is truly making you ‘miserable’.
What is making you ‘live in constant fear’? Again, makes no sense. “Perfect love casts out fear”. If you are living in fear, I suggest it is coming from within yourself.

I suspect there is someone in your life filling you with anti-Catholic views as well. The posters here at CA can do nothing more that DIRECT you to the proper materials (that even secular historians agree with) that you can read. If you choose not to read them, we cannot do anything about that.
In the meantime, nobody is forcing you to be Catholic. Perhaps it would be better for you to postpone and take your time. Catholics do not drag people kicking and screaming into the Church.
I am praying for you Tristin.

||I just see these contradictions between Catholicism and God’s Word and I can’t help but think I’m twisting Scripture to support Catholicism.||

And, of course, Protestants NEVER twist God’s Word to support their beliefs, do they?

Quote: I just see these contradictions between Catholicism and God’s Word and I can’t help but think I’m twisting Scripture to support Catholicism.

Unlike Protestants who reject 1,500 years of church history because they interpret the Bible ‘properly’? :eek:

You might find Church Fathers interesting. They will show you the apostolic roots of the Catholic faith. Everything in our faith is Bible based, it just needs to be researched thoroughly. I think Mike Aquilina’s book ‘The Fathers of the Church’ has got good reviews on the forum.

Please don’t look for the ‘feel good’ factor. That is superficial Christianity. Catholicism is complex and can seem intimidating for that reason. For many people it feels like a real culture shock. Perhaps you could engage with reverts and converts more and discuss the difficulties of the journey. People would me more than happy to offer advice on how to approach all the different aspects of the faith

God bless!

Justaservant,
Glad to see you here.
Your post may seem a bit harsh, but it is good to have someone so well grounded in both the Protestant AND Catholic postions fpr tristan to bounce issues off of.

Peace
James

Emotion can be a very dangerous thing to base one’s eternal destiny on.

It’s not just feeling. It’s truth. And Catholics neglect so many parts of the Bible. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Catholic speak about, oh, say Romans 11. Hebrews 10:11. Also,Catholics believe Muslims and Jews and anybody can go to Heaven, despite Christ saying that if you do not believe on Him, you have no life in you. The truth is, no Christ, no life. Catholicism is becoming more worldy (go figure…) from what I see. If the people of the old Catholic church saw the people of today’s Catholic church, the old would excommunicate the new…I can’t join a church which throws out God’s Word for traditions of men. And that’s what they are. Sacred Tradition is tradition in line and based on Scripture.

Apparently, I’m too stupid to read God’s Word…even though He had it written in man’s language for man to understand…

You are not too stupid to read God’s Word, you just are not the authority to interpret God’s Word. Big difference there.

Catholics do not neglect any of God’s Word, that is your, very limited, opinion/bias.

The Church has always believed that those who do not know Christ through no fault of their own can make it to Heaven. Who are we to limit God?

God’s Word, the Bible, the Sacred Scriptures, came from “traditions of man” as you put it. With out the Catholic Church there would be no Canon of the Bible.

You say that you came here to ask questions but it seems that you did so without really wanting the answers.

I will keep you in my prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.