Why I reject Mormonism

Perhaps we ought to examine this issue. What was the first reason why you rejected Mormonism?

I meant to post this as a poll, but a discussion format will do just as well.

We will see if our LDS friends can refrain from posting on this thread. :smiley:

Because if I accepted it I would be calling Jesus a liar

In Matthew 16: 16-19 Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

If I accept Mormonism I deny the above, the authority He gave to Peter the first leader of His Church and that this authority has been passed on through the centuries.

Before His ascension, Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore, make disciples of all the nations; baptise them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you. And know that I am with you always, yes even to the end of time.” [Matthew 28:17-20]

If I accept Mormonism then I call Christ a liar by saying that He did not remain with His apostles always but that they broke from apostolic succession. I believe Him on both those scriptures, so I’m Catholic

Hello Jerusha

The " first " ( There are several others ) reason that I reject Mormonism is due to the : One mere man, alone, claims to speak with God and this trumps and changes or adds to what the Lord himself taught when he walked among us. This, of couse, is not strictly a Mormon claim, there have indeed been other religions who claim the very same thing.

At any rate, I love our Mormon friends but am deeply saddened by Mormonism.

Should be a interesting thread to hear from other non Mormons in this regard.

Peace,
CJ

Joseph lied…

1. Mormonism manufactures history.
  2. It contradicts itself with regularity.
  3. It is racist, particularly towards people of color who are not Mormon. People of color who accept Mormonism must first accept the LDS teaching that they are infreior because of their color.
  4. It teaches that Catholicism is apostasy, when, itself, it is an apostasy.
  5. It denies original sin and the Trinity. Those two teachings are inextricably linked.
  6. It bears intergenerational hatred.
  7. It teaches that people must forgive and forget. Although it superficially changes, it, as an organism, does not change at its core. Therefore those who forgive and forget, like my family, are forever re-victimized.
  8. It is a schizophrenogenic religion.
  9. Joseph, BY, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Joseph F. Smith, etc & etc all lied.

That is a good enough beginning. :shrug:

I remained neutral until I read the Book of Mormon. I got my free copy from the Mormon ads on TV and couldn’t wait to read it.

I was amazed at some of the outrageous stuff such as the wooden submarine that one group came over in. The millions of people in cities built of cement and roads and steel, yet not a trace of them.

The more I learned about the LDS the more I was amazed yes even shocked that anyone could believe such nonsense. Take the manuscript that was lost by I believe Harris. Why did Joseph Smith get so upset? All he had to do was go back to the stone in the hat and redo it. Then I thought if he did that and the manuscript turned up it would have to be in agreement word for word with the new dictation. Then JS actually put in a chapter coverning the lost manscript. My God! I thought, how could anyone possibly believe such a ruse.

The more I learned the more amazed I became. I could not imagine how intelligent human beings could fall for such fakery.

In talking to Mormons on this forum I was again shocked that they would ignore evidence that this “restored” church was all fabricated by Joseph Smith.

I’ve learned also that to try and reason with them is totally impossible. They remind me of the attitude of the Jehovah Witnesses.

You mean like Moses, and Noah, and Abraham, and Jesus?

. . . and this trumps and changes . . .

You mean like Jesus, and Peter, and Paul, and John the Baptist, and James?

. . . or adds to what the Lord himself taught when he walked among us.

You mean like the writings of the Old Testament prophets, or the letters of St Paul, or Revelation of John?

This, of couse, is not strictly a Mormon claim, there have indeed been other religions who claim the very same thing.

I am sure there have been. I can think of quite a few of them myself. Moses is a nice one. I am sure if you think about it you will find some more!

At any rate, I love our Mormon friends but am deeply saddened by Mormonism.

Well, some people judge themselves unworthy of it, and some don’t. See Acts 13:46.

zerinus

Hello Zerinus,

I am SO HAPPY you have come to the truth and have responded to " why I reject Mormonism " thread.:):slight_smile: Great to see my friend.:slight_smile:

No, I wasn’t thinking of the examples you suggest but am encouraged that you have now rejected Mormonism for whatever reason.:slight_smile:

Peace,
CJ

:confused::eek::whacky::hypno::hmmm:

:cool: I, too, am greatly encouraged.
After all, he has been here for 2 1/2 years.
It has been slow, but he finally made the break. :cool:

In a nutshell…

After giving my life to God and asking Him to lead me, it became crystal clear that I had to scrap everything I was taught as a Mormon. I read, I researched, I learned a lot.

Finally it came to the point that I had to choose between Jesus and Joseph Smith. It was either that Jesus meant it that He would not leave us… or the gates of Hell did prevail and JS had to “restore” everything.

It was a simple choice. Not easily done, considering everything I gave up… but WELL worth it in the end. :shrug:

in Christ
Steph

I left Mormonism after a lifetime of faithful service seeking for the fabled Mormon testimony. I lived a life within the church for years seeking one, never receiving one, and being told universally by family, friends, and church leaders that the reason was my insincerity and/or lack of faith. Given my upbringing (fifth generation Mormon on both sides, handcart pioneer stock, polgyamy) this was devastating; but I did not externalize my frustration. Everything was internalized and I became angry and depressed for a very long time. During these years, I also began researching Mormon origins and the origins of Mormon scripture and learned that the story I’d been told all of my life was not true. I discovered that I’d been misled, not intentionally, but because the Mormons in my life only pay attention to official church accounts of these things - which are heavily redacted and edited to paint a rosy glow. Modern Mormonism is an airbrushed religion, with all of the warts and pock-marks hidden away. But those things are available to see for anyone who takes the time to dig into primary documents (diaries, journals, newspapers, first drafts of Joseph Smith’s revelations, etc.) that the average Mormon has no clue about. I learned that the Mormon Church is not what it claims to be. Discovering that there is zero evidence that a total apostasy occurred was just icing on the cake. That is why I rejected Mormonism, though it took me another long period of years before I ceased being an atheist and found Christ in the Catholic Church. And now, for the first time in many, many years, I am at peace.

NewSeeker

I’m not Mormon because I have never heard a cogent argument in favor of distinct Mormon doctrine… and I’ve even been meeting with Mormon missionaries (and an ex-Catholic Mormon temple worker) for 4 months now. What’s especially interesting is that those missionaries know that I WILL convert to their faith if they can back up their assertions. Of course that will never happen, and I’m truly devoted to my Catholic faith, but to have that out statement there without seeing any results is telling.

In fact, I was drawn to the Catholic Church from my Protestant upbringing because of the logically sound basis for everything essential in the Faith, and from there, my spirituality has only bloomed. So I’m not opposed to questioning and admitting I’m wrong…

sigh.

When two different “Prophets, Seers, and Revelators” contradict each other with regard to the identity of God is, you can safely conclude that there is no true revelation from God (which God?). The Prophet, Seer, and Revelator Brigham Young clearly taught that Adam was God the Father, and the only god with whom we have to do. The last three Prophets, Seers, and Revelators have clearly taught that Adam was not God the Father and that Brigham Young was wrong. Not only have the prophets of the Mormon Church worshiped different gods but virtually every prophecy they have ever made has been false; even a psychic can do better than a Mormon prophet. Joseph Smith said that the book of Mormon was the most correct book of scripture and yet the Mormon church is made over 5000 corrections to it. Official publications of the Mormon Church history have been doctored up with no footnotes.

But other than all that it’s very nice church. As long as you don’t care about truth, and he could care less which god that you worship, it’s very good family oriented and patriotic church.

I was baptized Catholic after being a Mormon for 34 years. I learned the Book of Mormon had been proven beyond any shadow of doubt to be a complete fabrication. That ended my desire to remain a Mormon.

I rejected the mormon god, first and foremost, and was atheist for more than 20 years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.