Why I'm Catholic, Why I stay Catholic, Why are you Catholic,Why do you stay Catholic?

Really, I’m not a deep theologian. I have mystical inclinations, am intelligent, but not really interested in finer theological points. I’m a convert, and this is why I’m Catholic and why I stay Catholic:

**1) Doctrine of Purgatory

1. For sure Real Presence

2. Extra devotions

3. Honors Mary

4. More variety within Church. Many more expressions of faith

5. Confession to a Priest

6. Priesthood seems superiour to Protestant preachers

7. Strict sexual mores advised

8. Artistic Churches with statues, stained glass, etc.

9. Lots of history and all the saints to venerate.**

Anyone else want to share their lists?

[list=1]
*]Literal interpretation of John 6 (real presence)
*]Teaching authority (no sola scriptura)
*]Revelations a picture of Heavenly liturgy
*]Mary’s unseen role in my conversion
*]Don’t have to turn off my brain to have faith
[/list]

Why I am Catholic:

1. I just am.
  2. My very good friend lived a Catholic life. She disagreed with many Catholic teachings – at least in what she said. But in what she did, it was clear where her loyalties lay.
  3. The unseen influence of Our Blessed Mother in my life.
  4. The miracles in my own life.
  5. People like Pope John Paul II.
  6. The beauty of the manifest prayers of artists and writers.
  7. The example of the martyrs and saints.
  8. The reassurance that God knows that it is not good for me to be alone even though, for me when I am up against the wall, hell seems to be other people more often than not.
  9. When I am up against the wall, God always sends me someone who makes it OK to stop being independent again. And when God wants me to do something specific, he always gives me the means to do it and supports me every inch of the way.

Why I stay Catholic:

1. I dunno.
  2. The Real Presence.
  3. The hope in something in which I can trust. It is this hope which is a gift. I have many reasons not to trust, but I have a hope which keeps me away from the descending spiral of mistrust.
  4. As Peter replied to Jesus in John 6: where would I go?
  5. God loves me. I know that. I love God although I do not do it very well. I believe that God wants me in the Church. It isn’t always comfortable. But it is possible. And so much outside the Church isn’t even possible.
  6. Because Catholicism is a true fullness. Everything else seems always to be pointing to but never getting to the banquet table in a Real sense.

[quote=spiritblows]Really, I’m not a deep theologian. I have mystical inclinations, am intelligent, but not really interested in finer theological points. I’m a convert, and this is why I’m Catholic and why I stay Catholic:

1) Doctrine of Purgatory

2) For sure Real Presence

3) Extra devotions

**4) Honors Mary **

5) More variety within Church. Many more expressions of faith

6) Confession to a Priest

7) Priesthood seems superiour to Protestant preachers

8) Strict sexual mores advised

**9) Artistic Churches with statues, stained glass, etc. **

10) Lots of history and all the saints to venerate.

Anyone else want to share their lists?
[/quote]

Well, God’s calling … and basically all the other stuff everyone said especially the person I am quoting here. I will be confirmed next spring. I can’t believe for so many years there was so much scripture and virtually no tradition. When there is supposed to be a balance of the two. A great Catholic Verse: 2 Thessalonians 2:15 - Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.

[quote=bluezone7]Well, God’s calling … and basically all the other stuff everyone said especially the person I am quoting here. I will be confirmed next spring. I can’t believe for so many years there was so much scripture and virtually no tradition. When there is supposed to be a balance of the two. A great Catholic Verse: 2 Thessalonians 2:15 - Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.
[/quote]

Also, the Eucharist … I will get to consume the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. Real Food.:bowdown2:

It’s my home. Where would I go?

As already said by Ani Ibi and Penny Plain:

Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”
- John 6:68

There are many other things I could say, as others have already done: but this is what matters. The Cathlic Church is His Church, and He has the words of eternal life.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.:bowdown2:

Why I am Catholic?
By birth.

Why I stay Catholic?
Because I’m being fed. :slight_smile:

Good Grief! I can mostly just echo all the things that have already been said. That & the fact that I love the discipline of being a Catholic…it’s real. It even feels real (though that’s not the only reason).

I had to really “study to show myself approved” to come home, and now nothing can shake my love for the church. I rather die than cease being Catholic.
God bless!

Catholicism brings me
Joy
Certainty
Reliability
Beauty
Tradition
Intellect
Strength
Saints
The Blessed Mother
Reconciliation
The Sacraments
The Eucharist – Source and Summit
and the realization that to be Catholic is to be fully human

Coz I prefer truth to falsehood (-:

I just started reading about the Early Church Fathers and while reading last night, I figured out exactly why I’m Catholic and will remain Catholic. Back in the day of claiming I was agnostic, I always said that there is no facts, proof, or hard evidence that Jesus was real and that the Bible is true. The Early Church Fathers provide this proof for me. They provide the “historical evidence” that I never knew existed. Also the very same people who taught Clement and the rest were taught by Jesus himself. What the ECF’s taught is also the exact same thing the Vicar of Christ teaches today. To paraphrase Newman (or was it Sheen?) “to know history is to be Catholic.”

So if history proves that the ECF were taught by the direct followers of Christ, and what they taught is the same today as what the Catholic Church teaches, then the Catholic Chruch MUST be the one true church.

Here are the issues that led me to the process of conversion:

1. TRUTH
    which is manifested in:
  2. Real Presence in the eucharist
  3. A completed source of divine public revelation (Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition)
  4. An appreciation of outward beauty (architecture, stained glass, sacred art)
  5. Consistency of its pro-life views (hint to our Protestant friends - you can’t be truly pro-life unless you’re also open to it within your own marriage)
  6. Examples from the lives of the saints
  7. Spiritual support by asking for the intercession of the saints
  8. The sanity of the Catholic position on the communion of saints
  9. Mary - and finding my way home to the only Church that gives her the honor she is due
  10. The holiness of the celibate priesthood
  11. Richness of spiritual expression (eastern vs. latin-rite Catholicism, private devotions, sacramentals)
  12. Historicity - the witness of the early church fathers, the fact that the Church was responsible for the compilation of the scriptures

And all of the wonderful, holy people I’ve met!

The reason I’m Catholic:

1. It’s the Church Christ Himself established on Peter.
  2. Eucharist.
  3. Communion of the Saints.
  4. History (both the good, and the bad ;)).
  5. Where else can I go to a church that’s in ancient Latin, modern English, ancient Greek, modern Greek and Syriac (dialect of Aramaic) and still be in the same Church?
  6. Christ wants me to be in union with Peter.

Lots more… but there’s my basic list. :slight_smile:

John 6

The Shroud of Turin

Apparitions at Fatima and Lourdes

Why I’m Catholic - the Grace of God

Why I stay Catholic - I love Him.

1. Because it’s the Truth.
  2. Because it’s the Truth.
  3. Because it’s the Truth.
    4-Infinity. Ditto above

Plus all the other good reasons the other posters have stated so far.

In the first place,

Truth…

In the second, I echo the words that I believe GK Chesterton used when asked the same question:

“To have my sins forgiven.”

-ACEGC

Well, first of all, I want to point out that I’m not confirmed Catholic yet BUT:

I will be Catholic because it’s the TRUE Church Jesus Christ established! The Traditions, teachings were passed down by the real apostles! :thumbsup: And also the Grace of God has given me wisdom and understanding that it’s what I just mentioned above!

The Eucharist! Christ is TRULY PRESENT in the Holy Eucharist! I’m waiting for that day in a couple weeks! I hope it will be more emotional than a wedding (no offense or anything)
:stuck_out_tongue:

The Pope! How Peter was the first Pope is awesome! The Pope is the head of the CC (well, actually God is really but I’m talking about on earth!)

The communion of saints! We’re family too!

It’s my spiritual home! It gives me a sense of the real Jesus!

It’s too awesome! :thumbsup:

[quote=Semper Fi]The reason I’m Catholic:

1. It’s the Church Christ Himself established on Peter.
  2. Eucharist.
  3. Communion of the Saints.
  4. History (both the good, and the bad ;)).
  5. Where else can I go to a church that’s in ancient Latin, modern English, ancient Greek, modern Greek and Syriac (dialect of Aramaic) and still be in the same Church?
  6. Christ wants me to be in union with Peter.

Lots more… but there’s my basic list. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Your 5th point is something special…it is yet further proof that the CC is the Church (not just a church) that God established on earth. What Christian church could last throughout the ages, and include all people all over the world in such numbers. Only the Catholic Church!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.