Why is being a virgin considered "pure"?

I read and hear that a lot and just wondering, why is that so pure? It’s as if it’s saying that being a virgin is best or something!!!:confused:

[quote=Paris Blues]I read and hear that a lot and just wondering, why is that so pure? It’s as if it’s saying that being a virgin is best or something!!!:confused:
[/quote]

I found this source from the Orthodox useful, because it is not “Catholic.” and offers an explanation of the importance of virginity in Christianity and of the perpetual vieginity of the Virgin Mary as well.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/

Do you think it may have something to do with the Church’s teaching on human sexuality and marriage? I’m not actually sure but I would assume it has something to do with that - considering that the procreative act is only meant to be shared by a husband and wife for the expression of love out of which results a new creation.
Obviously once one has had relations outside of the marital act the gift of that union is no longer “pure”, it has been given to someone else with whom you are not pledged to for life.
Just my assumption… :slight_smile:

Hi Paris,

Virgiity is one of the “evangelical counsels”. St.Paul is very clear on this. Virginity is a superior state, but it is not obligatory

See 1Cor. 7:

1. I say to bachelors and widows that it is good for them to remain as I am. But if they cannot refrain, let them marry. It is better to marry than to burn.

(…) 25. As for virgins, I have no command from the Lord, but I give advice as a man who, through the mercy of the Lord is worthy of trust. 26. I deem that, because of the times we live in, it is the state that is desirable. 27. Are you bound to a woman? Do not seek to break up the union. You are not bound to a woman? Do not seek a woman. 28. If, however, you marry, you do not sin. And if a young woman marries, she does not sin.

(private translation)

So you see, in God’s word, virginity is a state blessed by God. No wonder, he wanted his mother to be a virgin!

Verbum

If you have lost virginity doesn’t mean you can’t be pure again. The point is that premarital and extramarital sexual relationships are not pure. Marriage is pure of itself. Doesn’t mean it can’t be defiled, anyway.

It’s interesting that he said “in the times we live in, it is the state that is desirable.”

How timely. Even in the times we live in today, virginity is also the state of being desirable. In a carnal sense, it is pure because it is free of impurities in the form of “cooties.” :bigyikes:

Alan

The church teaches that human sexuality is a sacred gift. To make a personal sacrifice of that good is an awesome thing. It is not saying that when you get married and consummate the realtionship that you are bad. It is the normal thing in God’s plan. God created man and woman in Genesis and saw that it was good. Creation, though fallen through the sin of Adam, was good at its inception, fell through Original Sin, and is being redeemed by the Cross of Christ.

So, if it’s good, then giving that gift back to God in the form of complete dedication to God (as opposed to God and a spouse) is a sacrifice God honors. Why, because it is a true sacrifice of selfless giving.

Rich

…It is better to marry than to burn…

so was he speaking prosaically?

If virginity is superior, then not being a virgin must be inferior. I hope that doesn’t give the virgins a big head!

Alan

The problem with putting too much weight on virginity is that God DID command us to “be fruitful and multiply”. Virginity must be understood in that context. Perpetual virginity is not the calling for everyone, but all people are called to be chaste. Furthermore, marriage is a Divine Sacrament, and a required part of marriage is sex. Obviously virginity is NOT superior in most marriages!

Viriginity is indeed a virtuous thing, if done in accord with God’s plan and calling, as is raising a family. They are different things, and holy for different reasons and in different ways. Both are equally a part of God’s plan.

Not being a virgin is not inferior. Being married or remaining a virgin thru your life is a vocation from God. It is a gift. If you are not a virgin, don’t feel you are inferior, because that is not true! We are all guilty of original sin so no one is better then another. We are all loved by God.

I’m sorry to put in a question here in someone elses thread, but is someone still considered a virgin if they are guilty of solitary sin? Also is it true that a virgin cannot be influenced by the devil, or is that medieval superstition?

[quote=Shinobu]Not being a virgin is not inferior.
[/quote]

I agree with you, but it does sound pretty strange on the surface.

It is superior to be A instead of B, although B is not inferior to A.

Is that like saying we have a magnet with only a north pole, and a “norther” pole?

Alan

I think it’s stupid.

[quote=Harriet]I think it’s stupid.
[/quote]

Care to expand on that?

[quote=StephanieC]Care to expand on that?
[/quote]

You gotta give her credit for getting right to the point. I could use some lessons on that. :slight_smile:

Originally Posted by Harriet
I think it’s stupid.

Care to expand on that?

I’ll give it a shot.

I t h i n k i t ’ s s t u p i d .

[quote=Ghosty]I’ll give it a shot.

I t h i n k i t ’ s s t u p i d .
[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl:

I’m glad I got up today! I feel particularly impish, and this sort of thing could just about push me over “the edge” of total amusement.

Alan

[quote=Ghosty] Furthermore, marriage is a Divine Sacrament, and a required part of marriage is sex.
[/quote]

Is one sinning if one doesn’t have sex while one is married?

No, but a marriage isn’t considered valid until it’s consumated, so sex is considered an essential part of the Sacrament by the Church.

Hi Ahimsa,

Going back to 1Cor 7, cited above, St. Paul says, this:

1. Do not deprive one another, unless it is by common consent for a time so as to free yourself for prayer. Then go back to the common life, lest Satan, to tempt you, take advantage of your incontinence.

(private translation)

One who habitually refuses to have sex when the partner desires it, certainly is not fulfilling one of the conditions of marriage.

Also, since marriage implies the obligation to pro-create, spouses could not systematically avoid sex even by mutual consent.

Verbum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.