Why is Catholicism the true Christian faith and not all the others that claim different beliefs?

Beliefs in early Christianity were very diverse…looks like people were having “i’m right, you’re wrong” turf wars back then, just as much as they are now.

How can you prove that Catholicism has the monopoly on truth?

Didn’t Catholicism start because of a consensus vote?
I mean apparently people got together and voted on what to believe and then outcast’d the ones who didn’t go along, right?

Man’s fallen nature almost guarantees that there will be people breaking from the Christian faith. That doesn’t mean we can’t know the truth. There heresies may change, but the Christian faith remains the same.

Monopoly might be a poor word. Others outside hold a portion of the truth to some extent. A better term is the fullness of truth. And the reason that Catholicism has it is because Jesus built the Church Himself, and the Holy Spirit protects it.

No. Catholicism started because Jesus built the Catholic Church. He put Peter in charge of the Church, and the bishops lead it today.

They didn’t outcast them. God’s revelation of truth was declared by the Church, and people either chose to accept it or not.

If the Holy Spirit cannot be counted on to guide the historical church that God established at the beginnings of Christianity, then we’re all lost; no individual or group can claim to know the truth among the opposing views. Our basic job is to know what church succeeds historically from those beginnings, consistently teaching the same gospel. The RCC claims that true Church is to be found in the Church of Rome as well as many of the Eastern Churches. Many other groups that have spun off of the ancient churches are considered to be imperfectly joined to the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

Learn as much as you can about the teachings of the CC, as well as others- The Catechism of the Catholic Church is the main resource for RCC doctrine. Read the early church fathers to compare teachings between the different groups. And the bible. And pray.

This in a nutshell is one of the main reasons why liberal/reform Christianity rejects the Orthodox/Roman Catholic notions of infallibility. Christianity has always been splintered, today we may have Baptists and Anglicans but yesteryear we had Cathars, Arians, a whole range of non Chalcedean Churches, the Assyrian Church of the east, Coptics…Quite a few, the latter two are still active today.

Well…Wrong person to ask. I’ll try and take it from the Catholic perspective though.

Matthew 16:18, the very words that circle the walls of St. Peters Basilica upon a Gold banner. Catholics understand that Peter, and all of his successors have inherited a special charism, an office of leadership from Christ which continues to the present day. If you follow Peter, you follow God. If you don’t, you follow sin/devil/thin air (take your pick).

If you follow Peter and his successors, the idea is you can’t go wrong. He is Christs Vicar, and he has the authority to lead.

I am sorely tempted to write more about this one but I fear it would earn me a ban for Evangelization. I shall refrain and simply state the base facts.

Yes, the Bible as we recognize it was formed at a Church council in 300AD by a group of men who came together to form a canon scripture. The canon of course itself varies now by which denomination you go to; the Orthodox have more books like Maccabees 3 and 4 that Catholics do not, and protestants generally have less than both of them (Wisdom etc).
I’m not going to include the Mormons and Moonies in that because they’re a different animal entirely.

There were and in some cases still are other “Gospels” used by other former Christian sects that were wiped out. The Gospels of James, Mary Magelene, the Book of Jubilee, The Epistles of Judas…Too many to list. Many of them were later creations than the synoptic Gospels we have today hence why they were not deemed authentic. Others like the Gospel of Peter and Jubilee are less certain (I think the Ethiopian Orthodox use Jubilee actually, I’d have to check).

Again though, if you belive Peter’s successors are Gods chosen, he can’t be wrong in matters of faith (and what constitutes scripture is a pretty big part of that!).

The Holy Spirit wouldn’t guide a new church into creation to rival the Catholic Church because Christianity would be divided.

Mark 3:25 And if a household is divided against itself, that household can never last.

If the Catholic Church had gone bad the Holy Spirit would have sent someone to bring it back not breakaway like Luther.

From my extensive studies and reflection, I have found that every religion on Earth, save the Catholic religion, has fatal logical flaws that must mean they are wrong. I have found no such flaw in the Catholic Church. There are numerous issues that were not explicitly defined in the bible or by the early apostles. There have been long debates to discern the truth. Some sides in these debates were wrong. It was the Church as a whole that discerned the truth, and in most instances, the incorrect side humbly submitted to the Church.

I accept as a matter of faith that the Catholic Church is the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church founded by Jesus Christ. I accept this rationally and logically. I have inspected each doctrine and found it perfectly internally consistent. I acknowledge as a matter of intellectual honesty that the Church is led by very intelligent philosophers who are never going to allow any deviation from this perfect consistency.

Because faithful Catholics believe Christ built His Church upon Peter not just Peter’s profession of faith. Believe what She claims and in infallibility. Accept the ECFs and how the CC interprets early writings, and accept matters of faith.

To some degree, yes.

How can you prove that Catholicism has the monopoly on truth?

I can’t because it doesn’t. Other people have truth…but NONE of them have truths that Catholicism doesn’t have. However, the Catholic Church has MORE truth than anyone else because it is the church that Jesus built.

Didn’t Catholicism start because of a consensus vote? I mean apparently people got together and voted on what to believe and then outcast’d the ones who didn’t go along, right?

Not exactly. When ideas were proposed that didn’t seem to agree with what was believed previously, councils were held to determine what was true and what wasn’t. That’s how the creeds were developed.

If you want to call that a “consensus vote”, okay, but what really happened was that the Holy Spirit led the councils to discern what was true and what was not.

Simply put, because God doesn’t cause division nor confusion. What the church has taught since the apostles has been the same thing which has been taught today. Look at my book at the bottom. Check it out, study it.

No, actually they were not. When their was a question, however, the means of resolving it was clear, they submitted it to Apostolic Authority. A good example is given in Acts of The Apostles at the Council of Jerusalem. The matter was resolved by The Apostles who Jesus had given His Authority to and told them that anyone “who hears you, hears me, He who rejects you, rejects me.”

I hope this clears up your misunderstanding on this matter.

chero23, I just browsed through your book breifly. WOW. You put alot into it. Is this available for purchase, or are there any printing rights associated?

Actually, God seems to have a pattern of using outsiders to clean things up:
Moses messed up, so Joshua was his replacement
King Saul had issues, so God brought in David.

Not tryin to say that was the case here, just clarifying.

I would suggest it is the following.

The Church was called Catholic from the beginning #34. Inspite of the typical definition we hear of universal, Catholic means, the same belief that is universally believed by everyone everywhere. Beliefs had to be unified. Confusion is NOT the work of the HS. Note: Irenaeus (Bk 3 Ch 3 v1-3 in "Against Heresies) in the link above, Irenaeus makes the point “all must agree everywhere with (the Church of Rome) on account of it’s pre-eminent authority”.

why?

Look at Jesus prayer.

[All emphasis mine]

John 17:20-23 [20] [FONT=Arial]And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me; [/FONT] That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. [/FONT] And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: [/FONT][/FONT] I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me.

When Paul ran into such people who caused divisions and dissent, Paul lowered the boom, he excluded them, because they made themselves “outside” apostolic teaching, by their own hand. And we know Paul’s teaching was being guided by the HS which means It ultimately is coming from Jesus John 16:12-15

[LIST]
]Romans 16:17-20 , [/FONT]Galatians 5:19-21, διχοστασίας dichostasia =* division / dissension / factions /sedition is same Greek word used in both Rom 16:17. And Gal 5:19… and Gal 20 tells the consequence for the soul if they don’t return to the Catholic Church before they die
*][FONT=Calibri]Titus 3:10
“As for a man who is factious ( [FONT=Verdana]αἱρετικὸν[/FONT] heretic ), after admonishing him once or twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is perverted and sinful; he is self-condemned.”[/FONT]
[/LIST]

The Catholic Church is THE Church of the NT. 1 Timothy 3:15
Any truth others have on the faith came from the Catholic Church

It’s the only Church Our Lord established

No. The Catholic Church was established by Jesus. It is divinely established. Not established by human hands. Open all the links within #[FONT=Arial]34[/FONT]

As an aside, Peter didn’t lobby for his office. He wasn’t voted in by any council. Jesus established Peter’s office as He did the office of the other apostles. And as Peter said in council, when replacing Judas, “let another take his office” [FONT=Calibri]Acts 1:20 , THEN the apostles voted to replace Judas Acts 1:26 . [/FONT]And from this we see in action, apostolic succession, and thus validity of office in the Catholic Church.

I tried to open your booklet and couldn’t get it to open. I see someone else was able. Is it still available? Thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.