Why is Catholism just 4 Catholics? Or is it?

If your not affraid to address the issue…

What is you’re understanding of Catholism? Is it just for Catholics? Why or why not?

It is for everybody, yet everybody will not accept Her teachings. The Church is a treasure that which all of Her faithful must give to one another.

I don’t understand your premise. You might just as well ask, “Is Democracy just for Democrats?” You are either a Catholic, or you are not. Although I am not a Catholic, it is my understanding that The RCC is open to all who will accept that church’s teachings.

I think that not everybody will accept all of the CC teachings, but almost everyone is somewhat Catholic whether they know it or not!! :slight_smile:

I really am not sure what you’re asking, are you thinking of something specific?

In order to be recognized as Catholic by the CC, you need to be baptized, and you need to accept the dogma as true.

Are noncatholics allowed to attend Mass? Yes
To read the Bible? yes
to associate with those who are catholic? yes
teach in catholic schools? yes

allowed to participate in Holy Communion? I’m not sure :o I was brought up by those who most vehemently said “no!” but I once found an online resources that says that those who practice a Christian faith are allowed BUT I haven’t checked on the official teachings yet though. Maybe someone else can answer that one.

Or are you asking: are noncatholics able to receive the messages expressed by Catholicsm? Yes, I believe so. According to our teachings, the message is sent to all, and all have the capacity to receive it.

For your consideration…

Re: …understanding of Catholicism…three quotes (emphasis mine) from (Introduction, pgs. 3, 4, & 10) The Spirit of Catholicism by Dr. Karl Adam, Professor of Catholic Theology, University of Tubingen (translated by Dom Justin McCann, OSB, Master of St. Benet’s Hall, Oxford), The Macmillan Co., NY, 1930.

And so, with this consciousness,** Catholicism finds in-adequate all those descriptions of its essential nature** which are based merely on the study of comparative religion. For such descriptions are superficial, they touch only the hem of its garment. They are in some sort like the naive, childish, not to say silly conceptions of certain heated controversialists, for whom Catholicism is lust of power, saint-worship and “jesuitry.” Such people have not discerned that deep source whence its life in all its manifestations flows forth, and which gives the whole an organic unity. “He has the parts within his hand, but not, alack! the spirit band.”[3] The attempt of the religious historian is at its best like an attempt to explain the life of a living cell by mere enumeration of all the material that forms it. To describe a thing is not to explain it fully. And so this purely descriptive research calls for something beyond itself, for a scientific investigation into the essential nature of Catholicism.

The Catholic of a living faith, and he alone, can make this investigation. Our investigation goes only so deep as our love goes. An attitude of mere neutrality, or a cold realism is of no use here. Or, rather, only the man who himself lives in the Catholic life-stream, who in his own life daily feels the forces which pulsate through the vast body of Catholicism and which make it what it is: only he can know the full meaning and complete reality of it. Just as the loving child alone can truly know the character of its beloved mother, and just as the deepest elements of that character, the tenderness and intimacies of her maternal love, cannot be demonstrated by argument but only learnt by experience, just so only the believing and loving Catholic can see into the heart of Catholicism, and feeling, living, experiencing, discover with that “esprit de finesse” of which Pascal speaks, that is with the comprehensive intuition of his innermost soul, the secret forces and fundamental motive powers of its being.** And so an investigation into the nature of Catholicism inevitably becomes a confession of faith, an expression of the Catholic consciousness.** It is nothing else, and seeks to be nothing else, than the simple analysis of this consciousness, and becomes of itself an analysis of the Church’s self-consciousness. It is the answer to the question: How does the Catholic experience his Church, how does it work on him, where lie for him the creative forces of Catholicism, the intimate center of its creative being?

Catholicism is according to its whole being the full and strong affirmation of the whole man, in the complete sum of all his life relations. Catholicism is the positive religion “par excellence,” essentially affirmation without subtraction, and in the full sense essentially thesis. All non-Catholic creeds are essentially anti-thesis, conflict, contradiction and negation.

Re:…is Catholicism only for Catholics…absolutely not,why?..because of Our Lord Jesus’ Sacrificial Love (agape) which wills/sends…The Holy Spirit…via the apostolic and universal marks of Catholicism…the Great Commission:

John 3: 5-8, 16 (NAB)
5 Jesus answered, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. 6 What is born of flesh is flesh and what is born of spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I told you, ‘You must be born from above.’ 8 The wind blows where it wills, and you can hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes; so it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.

**Matthew 28: 19-20 (NAB)**19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."

Not sure this helps/is on target…but I like your thought provoking question!
Pax Christi

Here is what the Augsburg Confession says:

Only those things have been recounted whereof we thought that it was necessary to speak, in order that it might be understood that in doctrine and ceremonies nothing has been received on our part against Scripture or the Church Catholic. For it is manifest that we have taken most diligent care that no new and ungodly doctrine should creep into our churches.

What do you think, Pat?

Jon

Noncatholics can only receive Communion in very rare instances such as being near death but only with sufficient knowledge of the Sacrament. The apologetics forum can answer this better.

The Catholic Church is the Church Christ gave to the Apostles on Pentecost to hand on down till eternity. So yes, it is for all those who accept that which Jesus commissioned the Apostles to pass on.They are the True Body of Christ .He the Bridegroom, She the Church His Bride.:slight_smile: Carlan

What is “Catholism”?

It is the following of Jesus Christ as handed on to us by His Aposles and their successors through his Church.:)Carlan.

Yes, Catholicism is just for Catholics.

However anybody can become a Catholic.

Yes, absolutely and we the Church pray for the unity of our separated brothers daily.:thumbsup: Blessed Christmas to all, Carlan

=fish90;6091531]Noncatholics can only receive Communion in very rare instances such as being near death but only with sufficient knowledge of the Sacrament. The apologetics forum can answer this better.

***As Jesus Himself determined, the Gift of HIMSELF in Holy Communion is only for those who are Catholic. It is the most profound and compelling reason to become a member of His Catholic Church. :smiley:

Even at or near death a non-Catholic would have to convert in order to receive Christ, and profess a belief in His Glorified Body… Real Presence.***

Love and prayers,

Pat

It is the teachings of the Catholic Church, the Universal Church, the only Church established by Jesus.

I think bpbasilphx was referring to the spelling error.

Jon

I am such a dreadful speller myself Jon, it can be staring me in the face and I’d miss it.:pCarlan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.