Why is “Christian” Music so Awful?

A friend of mine used to quip, “When you’re talking about Christian music it’s pretty safe to substitute ‘bad’ for ‘Christian’.

Who hasn’t had to endure a Christian rock band or sit through a worship with some aging trendy strumming a guitar and inflicting folk music or light rock on everyone?

Why is it that so often Christian music is so awful? I think there are a couple of reasons. The first is that the musicians and their audience mistake a worthy message for talent. Then they get a martyr complex if they’re criticized. “You’re obviously not very spiritual if you can’t enjoy my music! The second problem is that the audience are often either totally uncritical or they haven’t the ability to criticize intelligently. Too often the audience actually like the stuff that is being dished up. The third factor is that market forces are usually not in play. Market forces often have a surprisingly sharp and salutary critical effect. Market forces weed out the junk, but in the Christian market they’re doing it for love, not money, so no one is telling them to get off the stage ’cause it won’t sell.

More....
patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2012/04/what-is-christian-music.html

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:281392"]
More....
patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2012/04/what-is-christian-music.html

[/quote]

This goes hand in hand with something that was posted on a Lutheran blog as an April Fools joke. A replacement of Divine Service setting 1 in the Lutheran hymnal: The Contemporary Liturgy:

OUR SERVICE
Setting One

GREETING AND AFFIRMATION

[A MEDLEY OF MOOD-SETTING SONGS is sung. Stand spontaneously during the final Guitar Solo
The sign of applause may be made by all in gratitude to the PRAISE BAND.

P. Good Morning!

**C. Good Morning.

P. Aw, come on now. Say it like you mean it. Good Morning!

C. Good Morning!

P. Give yourselves a hand.

Applause

Silence for Preparation of the Power Point Projection.

P. Let’s lift our hearts to God in prayer.

A MOOD-SETTING MELODY is played quietly in the background. This MELODY continues through the prayer and for 2 minutes into the MESSAGE. It begins again 2 minutes before the end of the MESSAGE.

The Pastor speaks an EXTEMPORANEOUS PRAYER.

P. Lord, we just want to thank you…

…because You’re an awesome God. And all God’s people said…

C. Amen.

P. Aw, come on now. Say it like you mean it.

C. Amen!

A RELEVANT, GENERALLY INSPIRING MESSAGE is spoken by the Pastor, as well as a series of ANNOUNCEMENTS AND PROMOTIONS, concluding with another EXTEMPORANEOUS PRAYER.

MORE AWESOME MUSIC

A MEDLEY OF INCREASINGLY UPBEAT SONGS is sung. Standing Ovation

P. Have a great week everybody!

Applause

P. Aw, come on now. Clap like you mean it!

*Applaud until the Pastor smiles and signals to stop.

First, I simply linked the blog, I didn't write it, so don't blame me for its content if you disagree.
Having said that....:D
Even when I was evangelical I had an extreme dislike for "contemperary christian music" (CCM). Of course, this is something I never said outloud to anyone (which makes me wonder how many others felt the same way). The problem with CCM is that, in imitating popular music styles, the songs become a simplistic theological mess. Most are not giving praise to God, they are testifying to each other. There are exceptions, but for the most part, that was my assessment.
Christian metal is even worse. SCREAM, SCREAM, SCREAM, Jesus, SCREAM, SCREAM....:bigyikes:
Get the point?
CCM is a mile wide and an inch deep. Take it from someone who grew up listening to music from the 60s.
Many CCM songs have catchy tunes and creates emotion.
But that's about all it creates.
Got that off my shoulders, my mind is clean
:cool:

[quote="JustaServant, post:3, topic:281392"]
First, I simply linked the blog, I didn't write it, so don't blame me for its content if you disagree.
Having said that....:D
Even when I was evangelical I had an extreme dislike for "contemperary christian music" (CCM). Of course, this is something I never said outloud to anyone (which makes me wonder how many others felt the same way).

[/quote]

Ditto. I couldn't stand singing the same awful 5 songs every week. I used to purposely come in late, or be a greeter outside, just to avoid hearing

"Here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down,
Here I am to say that You're my God
You're altogether lovely
All together worthy,
All together wonderful to me"

For the umpteenth time! Yuck!

Here is a Parody of Evangelical Church worship by some Evangelicals
youtu.be/3RJBd8zE48A :rotfl: Looks like the Christian community out here called Reality L.A.

I would now and then go to a Catholic Church with a friend who was Catholic obviously, and voice how I liked the Catholic Hymns for their rich theology!

Obviously I was not anti-catholic, although my "fellowship community" was!

The problem with CCM is that, in imitating popular music styles, the songs become a simplistic theological mess. Most are not giving praise to God, they are testifying to each other. There are exceptions, but for the most part, that was my assessment.

Huge mess! We sang Hillsong after Hillsong covers, and a few of my fellow dissenters would call them Seven Eleven songs. Sing the same 7 words and repeat 11 times! :banghead:

Christian metal is even worse. SCREAM, SCREAM, SCREAM, Jesus, SCREAM, SCREAM....:bigyikes:

The worst of the worst!

Get the point?
CCM is a mile wide and an inch deep. Take it from someone who grew up listening to music from the 60s.
Many CCM songs have catchy tunes and creates emotion.
But that's about all it creates.

Yep, there is only a select few that I can listen to!

[quote="onemangang, post:4, topic:281392"]
Ditto. I couldn't stand singing the same awful 5 songs every week. I used to purposely come in late, or be a greeter outside, just to avoid hearing

"Here I am to worship,

[/quote]

Translation: Here I am to be entertained

Here I am to bow down,

Translation: Just kidding. Bowing would be too Catholic

Here I am to say that You're my God

Translation: Because You need my permission.

Iggy you’re funny.

[quote="IggyAntiochus, post:2, topic:281392"]
This goes hand in hand with something that was posted on a Lutheran blog as an April Fools joke. A replacement of Divine Service setting 1 in the Lutheran hymnal: The Contemporary Liturgy:

OUR SERVICE
Setting One

GREETING AND AFFIRMATION

[A MEDLEY OF MOOD-SETTING SONGS is sung. Stand spontaneously during the final Guitar Solo
The sign of applause may be made by all in gratitude to the PRAISE BAND.

P. Good Morning!

**C. Good Morning.

[/quote]

P. Aw, come on now. Say it like you mean it. Good Morning!

C. Good Morning!

Applause

Silence for Preparation of the Power Point Projection.

P. Let’s lift our hearts to God in prayer.

A MOOD-SETTING MELODY is played quietly in the background. This MELODY continues through the prayer and for 2 minutes into the MESSAGE. It begins again 2 minutes before the end of the MESSAGE.

The Pastor speaks an EXTEMPORANEOUS PRAYER.

P. Lord, we just want to thank you…

…because You’re an awesome God. And all God’s people said…

C. Amen.

P. Aw, come on now. Say it like you mean it.

C. Amen!

A RELEVANT, GENERALLY INSPIRING MESSAGE is spoken by the Pastor, as well as a series of ANNOUNCEMENTS AND PROMOTIONS, concluding with another EXTEMPORANEOUS PRAYER.

MORE AWESOME MUSIC

A MEDLEY OF INCREASINGLY UPBEAT SONGS is sung. Standing Ovation

P. Have a great week everybody!

Applause

P. Aw, come on now. Clap like you mean it!

*Applaud until the Pastor smiles and signals to stop.

Iggy,
I give thanks to God this week for many things, most notably, 1) witnessing the baptism of my baby grand daughter :signofcross:
and

2) missing the Lutheran blog where this originally appeared. :p

Jon

If it aint metal, it aint music.

I have tried listening to Christian rock. Tried so so hard. In the end, I put it all away, said NOPE, and went back to some Rush. Sorry guys, when Jesus rocks some tunes into a Christian band, I'll be there, but music is either good or not, making it religious doesn't make it good, lol.

[quote="JonNC, post:7, topic:281392"]
Iggy,
I give thanks to God this week for many things, most notably, 1) witnessing the baptism of my baby grand daughter :signofcross:
and

2) missing the Lutheran blog where this originally appeared. :p

Jon

[/quote]

Congratulations! God bless the new Christian!

It was over at steadfastlutherans.org.

Most of my music is Christian metal/rock/alternative. Beats most of the other stuff I have.

I think most people associate Christian music with twangy country artists too much.

I try! :smiley:

Translation: Here I am to be entertained

Iggy, SO TRUE!!!! :thumbsup:

[quote="CRUE_CAB, post:8, topic:281392"]
If it aint metal, it aint music.

[/quote]

Especially Motley Crue....sorry. Not metal.

I know why CCM or 'Christian rock' is so terrible. Because Jesus DID NOT ROCK.
It is silly to try and describe the Lords beauty and mystery with something so pedestrian.

[quote="Neildown, post:11, topic:281392"]
Most of my music is Christian metal/rock/alternative. Beats most of the other stuff I have.

I think most people associate Christian music with twangy country artists too much.

[/quote]

The issue from my perspective as a Lutheran isn't whether it is twangy, metal, or traditional hymnody, it is a matter of it speaking to doctrine. The reason I don't care for much of the contemporary Christian music I've heard is because it seems shallow to me.
Others' opinions may differ.

Jon

[quote="Neildown, post:11, topic:281392"]

[/quote]

Now that you mention it.........:D

Down here in Baptistland there is another form of Christian music that is quite popular.

And for years as an evangelical I nodded...smiled...tapped my toe...clapped....and...LIED THROUGH MY TEETH!:eek:

I can no longer hold back...I must confess....

I despise Southern Gospel music.

There, I said it.

Every song sounds alike, the lyrics are childish and shallow.

The musicians go through the most bizarre gyrations, hand motions, and facial expressions singing (just mute it and watch sometime, it hilarious).

[quote="JustaServant, post:16, topic:281392"]
Now that you mention it.........:D

Down here in Baptistland there is another form of Christian music that is quite popular.

And for years as an evangelical I nodded...smiled...tapped my toe...clapped....and...LIED THROUGH MY TEETH!:eek:

I can no longer hold back...I must confess....

I despise Southern Gospel music.

There, I said it.

Every song sounds alike, the lyrics are childish and shallow.

The musicians go through the most bizarre gyrations, hand motions, and facial expressions singing (just mute it and watch sometime, it hilarious).

[/quote]

:rotfl:
Confession is good for the soul. :D

Jon

As Antiochian priest Fr. Andrew Damick puts it in his "Orthodoxy and Heresy" lectures, the world's rock'n'roll is just better. It's just better music, because it's not trying to be something it's not. I think that says it quite well. This "Contemporary Christian Music" (whether its pop or rock or whatever) tries to use the forms of the world and at the same time be not of the world. It doesn't work that way. In the case of Christian music, it results in music that is a weak imitation of worldly music.

[quote="JonNC, post:15, topic:281392"]
The issue from my perspective as a Lutheran isn't whether it is twangy, metal, or traditional hymnody, it is a matter of it speaking to doctrine. The reason I don't care for much of the contemporary Christian music I've heard is because it seems shallow to me.

Jon

[/quote]

When I was Protestant I preferred basic hymn music. There are so many great hymns that speak doctrine, its a shame many churches have tossed them aside for music with very little meaning at all.
You can tell, for instance, A Mighty Fortress is Our God was written by a priest. Agree or disagree with Luther, its a powerful hymn that drips with doctrinal truth.
Musta wrote it on one of his better days.;)

[quote="JonNC, post:15, topic:281392"]

Jon

[/quote]

Agreed on that point as well - I sometimes have the same problems with movies and books as well as music. There needs to be something within it all that I can discover for myself. That's why I like artists like Flyleaf, Fireflight, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Paramore, etc. because their songs aren't just 10 different versions of saying "I love God!" They require deciphering and have more than one thought to offer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.