Why is Confirmation being denied to my daughter?

Dear Friends, it’s been a while since I’ve visited and recently encountered an event last week that I’d like to ask about.

My wife and I were married in the Greek Orthodox Church. I was baptised Latin and received all Sacrament in the Latin Church.

We baptised our 3 children in the GO Church. Our kids have been attending Catholic School for a many years now,

My oldest daughter has receive the sacrament of reconciliation, first communion (after a profession of faith) in the Catholic Church.

last week she and the other grade 7’s were to receive the sacrament of Confirmation.
Everything was going as planned an my daughter and another boy were brought up together to receive a blessing only.

I understand that the other boy is remaining Greek orthodox but my daughter has been received into the Catholic Church. (note that in our school district, children of EO faith are permitted to attend the Catholic School)

I spoke to the pastoral associate who was organizing the event, she told me that my daughter could not be confirmed twice.

Can someone provide additional guidance here, as my daughter was quite shocked, as were my wife and I, and my family.

Hi,

The Sacrament of Confirmation, like the sacraments of Baptism and Holy Orders, confers an indelible mark on the soul. The person’s very being is changed in a very special way. Because of this metaphysical change, these sacraments cannot be repeated.

Your daughter is not being punished or alienated. She has already received this great gift when she was Baptized–as is the custom in the East. The Catholic Church recognizes the validity of her Orthodox Confirmation, or Chrismation as they call it. There is no reason for her to feel down simply because she is ahead of everyone else in her class.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.