Why is faith demanded for humans but not for angels?

Yeah I’m still here. I just can’t stay away.

Anyways, one of the arguments I’ve read here why God demands faith from us and doesn’t reveal Himself is that it somehow takes away our free will. Well, what about the angels at the very beginning?

They lived in the Divine presence continually yet some strayed and fought against Him.

If God deigned to reveal Himself fully to these supernatural beings with awesome powers and intellects, how is it fair that He demands us lowly insects to know him through faith alone?

Sharing in the beatific vision of God does not take away our free will, but it makes the distinction between good and evil so abundantly clear that no rational intelligent being could choose evil. It is like being offered a choice between a bath in warm water or boiling acid. We COULD choose the acid, but no rational person ever WOULD.

Well, what about the angels at the very beginning?

Just to clarify - angles are created beings, just as we are. There was a “time” when angels did not exist, but God brought them into existence. Angels are not eternal.

They lived in the Divine presence continually yet some strayed and fought against Him.

We also live continually in the Divine presence, but we are unable to fully perceive it.

Although the Catholic Church has no doctrinal position in this regard, most (if not all) theologians agree that the angles also did not initially perceive the full glory of God and did not initially share fully in the beatific vision. Therefore the angels were created and given only a limited perception of God. Some accepted God and others did not.

One thing that differentiates angles from humans (according to many theologians) is that angels have perfect free will. Thus, when they make a free-will decision, the decision is final and cannot ever change. Humans have imperfect free will - we can decide one thing today and another thing tomorrow. So if we make a bad decision today, there is hope that we will reverse it tomorrow. But angels commit themselves perfectly and completely to their decision and cannot ever change. This is why (many theologians believe) that Satan can never repent.

…how is it fair that He demands us lowly insects to know him through faith alone?

Actually we come to know him by grace an what he has revealed, not faith alone.

An to say we are insects speaks more about how you feel about human beings, not how God sees us.

Also if i may recommend this book. It may help some.

amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0898705509/theofficiapet-20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.