Why is faith or works needed after baptism?

Hello, thank you for reading this.:slight_smile:
I am somewhat confused on the doctrine of justification. I understand that humanity as a whole is redeemed by Christ’s sacrafice, and that Baptism(and the Sacraments) justify and forgive us in Christ, enplanting within us the unmerited gift of sanctifying grace by which we merit Heaven. We can only lose this sanctifying grace through mortal sin, so why are we required to commit works of love, and place faith in God, if we are already justified? Could not the arguement be made that after Baptism, one can live a life of pleasure and worldliness, as long as they do not lose the gift of sanctifying grace (even then, a quick trip to Confession would solve it.)Adding to my confusion, the Catechism of the Catholic Church speaks of meriting eternal life and sanctification once justified by sanctifying grace. If eternal life is merited by the individual through cooperation with God after the initial justification, what purpose then does justificaiton serve, if we have already been redeemed by Christ? Thanks again :blush:

someguyy,

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on justification and salvation. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
Salvation from the Catholic Answers Library
*]
Is Justification Ongoing? by Mark Brumley
]
It’s Not Over ‘til It’s Over by Tim Staples
*]
Where do I find info on salvation?
]* What’s the difference between redemption and salvation?**
]* Why do we hold to conditional salvation?**
]* Confused: I can’t be sure I’m going to heaven?**
]* What about eternal security?**
]* Can one lose salvation?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.