Why is homosexuality immoral?

I have been wondering why two men or women can’t love one another and be in
a relationship. Please show me why it is immoral, as it is one of the areas of Church morality that I am shaky on, and I want to be close to the King again, once I am through the doubting and spiritual dryness.

Search the main Catholic Answers website - there is a good deal there I imagine and will be more developed then short Posts here.

catholic.com/tracts

catholic.com/search/content?filters=

This is way too deep of a subject to cover here. Here are some suggestions:

1. You should visit the Courage website. Courage is a Catholic apostolate for people with same-sex attraction. They do fantastic work. They have a great film titled The Desire of the Everlasting Hills in which 3 same-sex attracted Catholics describe their relationship with the Church.

2. You should read Living the Truth in Love, by Dr. Janet Smith, et al. It is fantastic, and current.

Why does love imply a sexual relationship?

Do you know what natural law is?

Thanks!

Because I believe it means to use the bodies organs in a manner in which they are not designed to be used for.

As for same sex marriage, treating things equal that are not equal is an injustice I believe.

For example, I believe it would be unjust to call me racist because I differentiated between the color of someone’s skin in relation to a picture I was painting. However, if I did so in regards to a job application, or voting rights etc, than that I believe would be unjust, for the reason that the color of someone’s skin has nothing to do with those things.

In the same way, I believe it is unjust to argue equality when it comes to same sex marriage and thus demean, ignore or make irrelevant that unique role of a male and female, mum and dad, in producing new life through the fruit of their union and nurturing that life which is; to use a biblical term, flesh of their flesh.

Sometimes it happens that a Child is left without their mother or father, but to intentionally set it up that way I believe is wrong.

I hope this has helped.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Read anything by Robert George or Ryan T Anderson.

Homosexual acts are immoral.

+1

James 4:8 will give you instructions on how to be close to God again.

PAX

You are going to get a lot of Fowler’s Stage 3 of Faith responses here. Your questioning is healthy, but you will have to find your own resources to find resolution to your questions. You are functioning clearly in a questioning stage of faith which is typically stage 4. May God be with you on your journey.

amazon.com/Stages-Faith-Psychology-Development-Meaning/dp/0060628669/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453862072&sr=8-1&keywords=fowler+stages+of+faith

OP didn’t ask about “same sex attraction.” The question was about homosexuality:

See: Paragraph #2357 on the Catechism:
2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a6.htm

It helps me to think of it like this:
God is the master of our sexual faculties - not us. He has not given us complete freedom with respect to the use of those faculties. This is because sex is procreative; that is, it is the means by which God brings new humans - new souls - into being. Therefore, it is sacred. He tells us how we may use our sexual faculties and how we may not, and he is VERY serious about it. By using them in ways that God proscribes, we attempt to make ourselves Gods by abusing or controlling the means he employs to bring new souls into creation. In Leviticus 18 & 20, homosexuality, adultery, incest and bestiality are described as “abominations” for which the just penatly is death. Jesus teaches mercy for the repentant sexual sinner (see, the woman caught in adultery), but the sin is no less an offense to God. The “sin of Sodom” is particularly egregious; it is one of the “sins that cry to heaven for vengeance.”

So, I believe you are conflating love with sexual relationship. So from a Catholic perspective, sex is reserved within a marriage between a man and a woman which is open to life (It doesn’t mean that it has to result in conception). A good source for you would be to read Theology of the Body for a more detailed and thorough explanation of catholic sexual morality with regards to marriage, contraceptives, etc.

So, that leads to the belief that sex is reserved for that situation and all else is considered sinful. If one truly cares for another person then two people of the same gender would care about that person’s relationship with Christ since ultimately that relationship is far more important. If I as a guy were to sleep with a guy I greatly cared about, not only would I be sinning, but I would be causing them to sin too. That sin would damage that person’s relationship with Christ and put their soul into mortal sin. Since I care for that person, that would be the last thing I would want. So, two people of the same gender can care and love each, but that love cannot and should not be expressed sexually.

Our society has conflated love with romantic relationship and in some cases with sex. That is absolutely not the case. If you look throughout the bible there are same gender friendships where there is deep expression of love: (David and Jonathan or Ruth and Naomi). These friendship expressed deep love between each other. It is not the same as marital love or love within a romantic relationship, but it is not any less profound. I look at this, the bible describes the greatest love this way (John 15:13)

Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends

So clearly love within a friendship can be deep and meaningful despite our society throwing it the wayside and devaluing it. Hope some of this helps :slight_smile:

I second at9009. Your thread title and your first sentence are asking different questions.

Thread title - because it is not what sex is for.

First sentence - love is not the sentimental thing people say it is.

To love is to put their growth first, and always give space for the other other.

:rotfl:

That’s code for “it’s unenlightened to actually follow what your Church teaches,” isn’t it?

Two people of the same sex loving each other and being in a relationship isn’t immoral.
I don’t think it’s Catholic teaching that it is.

Actually, the OP didn’t ask about homosexuality, either. He/she asked about love and relationships.
As far as I know–but correct me if I’m wrong–two people of the same sex can love each other and be in a relationship and there is nothing wrong via Catholic teaching in that.

The definition of “relationship” is quite broad.

Would it be a stretch to presume that the OP meant “in a sexual relationship”?

True, but the poster mentioned ‘homosexuality’ in the thread title and it’s strange wording in my view to simply be implying two close friends who are chaste and not romantically involved with one another in any way.

I’ll wait for clarification from the O.P before I post any further, I think I jumped the gun a little on my first post.

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.