Why is important to have a relationship with God?

I know it is important not to judge. I wonder. I know people like me as the classic case for needing Jesus. I have screwed up in my life several times. Most of my sins are very grave, very serious and obvious to point out. There are people I know who are far better than me - do not gossip, lie, etc – their only real flaw is that they are not open to Christ or they strongly disagree with the Catholic Church. There is nothing I can really correct them on anyways. I understand we all have free will. I also understand Christ was the only perfect human being. Why would God forgive a prostitute, thief, murderer for simply repenting on their sins, but not those who simply refuse him? Like a perfectly good man who simply chooses not to believe in God. It is hard for me to see how we are all sinners or need Jesus. Some people can manage their lives perfectly well without God. There are those like me who need Jesus “desperately.”

I will give you a brief answer, although I know you will receive much better answers soon.

We all need God because we are all suffering from original sin. We have a tendency to sin, an attraction to it, inherited from Adam’s disobedience to God.
A perfectly good man will not simply refuse to believe in God. Why would he? That would be turning his back on the truth, on reality.
An honest man will at least consider the claims of God and of Jesus; although he may not be able to accept them, and only God can judge whether he is sincere or not.

The Bible says “All our righteousness is filthy rags,” meaning perhaps that even when we think we are acting from good motives, we have underlying motives that are not so good.
God is the only source of goodness in the universe. If a man refuses to accept him, there is no other place to go. It’s not so much a judgment, as a fact of reality. Like a man who says he is thirsty, but refuses to drink the only liquid available to him.

And remember, we can only be saved through Jesus, but we don’t necessarily have to know it is him who is saving us. A man who sincerely follows the teachings of Mohammed or some other religion, seeking to do all that is right, may be accepted by God.

“Some people can manage their lives perfectly well without God.”

Do you really believe this?

Peace

For those who respond to positive motivation: John 3:16

And for those who respond to negative motivation: John 3:18

Thanks for asking.

I will respectfully disagree with your last paragraph. To say that a person that follows Mohammed or another religion may be accepted by God. I can’t reconcile that with Holy Scripture. Remember, we have a jealous God! Jesus himself stated it very plainly.

Luke 10:16

Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.” (emphasis added)

So if we reject Jesus, we reject the one who sent him, which is God.

John 12:48

Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words has something to judge him: the word that I spoke, it will condemn him on the last day,

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.

It’s important to understand that we have to ‘believe’ in Him. That being Jesus Christ. I would guess that most other religions know of Jesus, but choose not to follow him. I don’t believe they are ignorant of Jesus. Scripture is pretty clear that not only is salvation through Jesus, but we have to ‘believe’ in Him too.

But but…

But what if the person, through no fault of their own, doesn’t become Christian? I mean we have many Muslims who have no ‘choice’ to be anything but what they know. They might even be killed if they were Christian. Do you think our Just God would reject them? They do know the same God of Moses, Abraham, Noah but the don’t believe as Christians that Jesus is God and Call Him Savior. However they believe in Jesus as a prophet and hold high esteem of Mary. To ‘know’ Jesus is to Love Jesus, but what if they never really were allowed to come to know Jesus? You say the scripture is very clear on it, but then do they actually read the NT? To be ignorant of Scripture is to be ignorant of Christ…It would be much different if we knew scripture yet rejected Christ as Our Savior.

You can look to your example at how Jesus healed your soul. Those who continue to sin are on the way to destroying their soul. Each of the persons you mentioned repented and they were healed and led a better life afterwards with God. So even though they believe they are fine, they will keep looking for answers, often in the wrong things, because God put that desire in our heart to need Him like the flowers need the rain… The people who are disconnected from God are like the walking dead. We learn from the OT that people are blessed and cursed depending on whether they are with God or without and it is through God that we receive blessings and protection from the storms which ensue in our lives. And in the OT the people were always ‘warned’ in advance of their demise due to their sinful actions, and what really matters is the deaths of ones soul. They just may not weather storms or be blessed by them like we would, and continued sin will cause them spiritual death of their souls now or in the next life.

Micah 6:8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

There are Muslims turning to Christianity every day! And we all can thank God for that. They accept the fact that they may be killed for their beliefs. They DO have a choice. They choose to be Muslims or they choose to be Christians or whatever religion they want.

Secondly, it’s not about what ‘I’ think. Because I’m sure you will agree, it really doesn’t matter what ‘I’ think God will or will not do. Your disagreement is not with me but with what Jesus said. I’m just relating what He said in scripture. If you feel or think otherwise, that’s your prerogative. But Jesus said that you must go through him. There is no where that He gives even the slightest indication that others, although they don’t follow or believe in Him, will somehow be saved through Him. Other religions know of Christianity, and refuse to believe it. It’s a choice they make.

We are fortunate that we have scripture to read and learn from. Needless to say, being able to read scripture is not a prerequisite for salvation.

But reading scripture helps us to ‘know’ Jesus and come to love Jesus, which they do not do… Do you see how contradicting in your thinking? You’re siting scripture and what Jesus said, but then you said reading scripture is not a prerequisite for salvation. Well what if you had never read scripture, never been taught about Christianity except to say that the western world are Christians and they certainly haven’t shown themselves to be the best of people. Why would they want that when they believe what they have is working for them… I mean the mainstream people of Islam, not the extremists.

I’ll reiterate what you said up there…

‘Secondly, it’s not about what ‘I’ think. Because I’m sure you will agree, it really doesn’t matter what ‘I’ think God will or will not do. Your disagreement is not with me but with what Jesus said. I’m just relating what He said in scripture.’

The fact of the matter is that it is ultimately up to ‘God’ to decide not us…You make it as if denying being a Muslim and becoming Christian is an easy Choice and that they understand Christianity as you understand Christianity. There are people who don’t make that choice even as they are not forced by oppression to make that choice, as in the case of atheists or agnostics. You notice the other poster and I both said ‘may’ because our God as a Just God will be judge of our salvation not us.

Now lets look at what Moses did, who incidentally the Muslims also learn from… Did God free the oppressed Hebrew slaves though Moses? Yes, but that’s the type of heroic actions it will take to free the nations of the oppressed only on a much grander scale. The heroic actions of a man of God who showed the way by his example of being a good and righteous man of God. Now we know that God never meant to keep people oppressed, and indeed many Muslims are oppressed, but it is also sin that oppresses people, as in the sins of the people of our nation. So where is freedom to believe? The truth is found in Christ, who teaches that sin oppresses people, but through the Mercy of God our sins can be forgiven which allows us to be truly be free from oppression… This message is not clear to the Muslims and something that needs to be shared with them. A lot of their thinking and ways of living is ancient, and we think as modern Christians, big difference… I believe God as a just and merciful God and we just never know, but that doesn’t mean we don’t stop trying to teach others the way to heaven is through Jesus Christ His Son. This is my opinion… Peace…

What makes you think that God does not forgive those who refuse Him, provided those same people repent of their refusal at some point before death? He is always ready to accept us with open arms, if we desire it and cooperate with the graces with which God provides us. God gives everyone enough graces for salvation.

As a previous poster mentioned, we all need God, because no matter how “good” someone may appear to be, everyone has the inclination to sin, and no human being is ever able to completely avoid sinning. All sin offends God; true, there is mortal sin which cuts us off from sanctifying grace, but all sin offends God. We all need God’s forgiveness and love. Moreover, salvation is made possible only by our acceptance of sanctifying grace, which we can only obtain from God. Luckily, we have an awesome God who is more than happy to provide each and every member of the human race with enough graces to obtain our salvation! Fostering a deep relationship with God will make it that much easier to accept the graces God so generously showers upon us.

I apologize for seeming contradicting. I’m not that good at writing! I was trying to say that people can believe even if they don’t have the scriptures. But we are fortunate because in them we can read what God wants from us in order to have eternal life. I know, I know, I’m still not making it very clear! So I’ll move on…

Please understand that I am not stating my personal opinion on the matter. I’m only saying what Christ said in His written word. So, really, your disagreement is not with me. Can you show me any where Jesus taught that people can have eternal life without believing in Him? I’m assuming you are merely stating your personal beliefs. Anyway…

It would be nice to think that everyone, no matter what they believe in, would make it to heaven. But I can’t find anything to support that view. Just the opposite actually. If you have any references that prove your point of view, I would appreciate getting them so I can learn! Otherwise, I think you are just stating a personal belief. But I appreciate your input!

Eternal life is only through believing in Jesus Christ. God bless!

Sorry for my assumptions. You are correct.

Here’s something to think about. Because I also ponder with this… It is not my personal opinion that we should eat the body and drink of the blood of Jesus Christ in order to be given spiritual life and raised on the last day… It’s what Jesus says…

John 6:53 Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

In fact there are a lot of things that Jesus tells us in the scriptures that people ‘ignore’, should I assume that they won’t be saved either? Or should I believe that God’s mercy is more than we can possibly fathom so live my life the best I can following His Word, and hope for the best for others.

However, there’s people who believe that if they don’t drink of the body and blood of Christ that they will be saved even as they don’t think Jesus meant what He said but this is what the bible says so should I think that all those Christians who don’t partake in the body and blood of Jesus Christ won’t be saved? Do you see what I’m getting at? So although I believe that the way to heaven is through Jesus, I can’t be certain that others who are of the Abram faith and follow the Law of Moses, the ten commandments, wouldn’t have a possibility of going to heaven…And Romans 4 talks about this. I just don’t know because I am not the judge of salvation, Jesus is. I’m in fact stating that my personal beliefs don’t matter for I am not the judge of salvation, what matters is what God wishes to do. All I can do is keep doing what I’m doing and hope and pray they are freed from their oppressors and they find their way to heaven…Here’s a scripture to support my thinking. Psalm 145:8 The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.

The Catechism says this:
"The Church recognizes that God does not condemn those who are innocently ignorant of the truth about his offer of salvation. Regarding the doctrine in question, the Catechism of the Catholic Church (quoting Vatican II document Lumen Gentium, 16) states:

This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation. (CCC 847)"

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, but he does not limit his actions to the church, although it is the ordinary means of salvation.
Actually I first saw this idea in C.S.Lewis’ book The :Last Battle, in which a devout follower of another religion is welcomed into the kingdom of heaven, and told that all that he offered to his false god was accepted by Christ. (well, Aslan).
I get most of my theology from Lewis’ children’s books, so it’s kind of basic.

CRATUS #1
I understand we all have free will. I also understand Christ was the only perfect human being.

God also enabled the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of His Son Jesus, to be perfect through Her Immaculate Conception and a multitude of Grace.

Why is important to have a relationship with God?

Simply because He is our Creator and Redeemer.

Why would God forgive a prostitute, thief, murderer for simply repenting on their sins, but not those who simply refuse him? Like a perfectly good man who simply chooses not to believe in God. It is hard for me to see how we are all sinners or need Jesus.

On what is refusal of Christ based? With the enormity of evil in the world the enormity of sin is very evident, and how could anyone else be “perfectly” good?

Viki63 I #13 accurately points out that the Catechism teaches:
"The Church recognizes that God does not condemn those who are innocently ignorant of the truth about his offer of salvation. Regarding the doctrine in question, the Catechism of the Catholic Church (quoting Vatican II document Lumen Gentium, 16) states:
“ ‘This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience – those too may achieve eternal salvation. (CCC 847)’ "

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.