Why is it better to be Catholic?

I’m curious about why so many people here seem convinced that the Catholic Church is a much better choice than any protestant church. I realize that these kinds of choices can be (for lots of people) mostly subjective, but is there an objectively good reason to choose the Catholic Church over any of the various protestant churches?

It’s better to be a Catholic because we have the fullness of the truth that literally other religions and sects do not have. The liturgy is also beautiful especially at Easter Vigil.

Thanks, Arnold1N2D, what do you mean by, “we have the fullness of truth”?

Because the Catholic Church is the only church that has the fullness of the truth, which means only the Catholic Church has the full deposit of faith handed from Jesus to the Apostles.

Thanks, Brittany.

The Catholic Church has the fullness of “revealed,” truth, but not all truth which is yet to be revealed in the next life.

Jim

How did the Catholic Church obtain the fullness of truth from Jesus and the Apostles?

I believe that Christ will lead a person to the place He desires, if they remain open to following Him.

Becoming Catholic just because the doctrines and rites are attractive isn’t why a person should become Catholic. To do so means they’re merely attaching to a group identity to satisfy the ego.

Becoming a Catholic, Lutheran or whatever, must be because the person is seeking Jesus Christ and seeking to follow Him as best they can.

Catholicism has placed enough roadblocks to keep many from converting.

Don’t let their decision not to convert make us judgemental toward them.

We must all be Christ centered. Let Jesus feed you as He knows best.

Jim

People choose Catholicism because they believe it is truth. It’s not about what is “better.” What does better even mean in this context? Serious Catholics don’t treat the Church like a social club.

It was passed down through apostolic succession. The Church from the very beginning has been Catholic.

One and only church founded by Christ. It is the early church unbroken in succession. We have the Eucharist, the only church which does, except for the Orthodox, but no other.

This is a good question!

The majority of answers are centred around something like “Catholics have the fullness of the truth” which is still very subjective. And when asked how is this the case, the answer is that they believe it.

Now faith is a very special thing. And I will never even attempt to challenge it. Yet it is still faith.

Good question and I am really interested if you would actually get a good answer.

The advantage of all seven sacraments, especially confession, through which one can be absolved for repented sins with even imperfect contrition. Also for the just, the help of the Church in the removal of temporal punishment due to sin through indulgences obtained. (Temporal punishment requires purgatory.) Also the Eucharist.

Catechism

1453 The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.52

1471 The doctrine and practice of indulgences in the Church are closely linked to the effects of the sacrament of Penance. What is an indulgence? An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints. 81 “An indulgence is partial or plenary according as it removes either part or all of the temporal punishment due to sin.” 82 The faithful can gain indulgences for themselves or apply them to the dead. 83

1411 Only validly ordained priests can preside at the Eucharist and consecrate the bread and the wine so that they become the Body and Blood of the Lord.

1416 Communion with the Body and Blood of Christ increases the communicant’s union with the Lord, forgives his venial sins, and preserves him from grave sins. Since receiving this sacrament strengthens the bonds of charity between the communicant and Christ, it also reinforces the unity of the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ.

You will see a few things, observing the Catholic Church throughout history, that you will not see in any other non Catholic church. I’ll let others add to that as I’m on my phone at moment.

Thanks, JimR.

A sturdy ship is safer than a life raft.

Through the Holy Spirit.

Jim

We Catholics believe the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ, and as such, is the One True Church, and is defended from error by the Holy Ghost.
This is not a mere matter of Faith, but a historical question with much backing it.

Meanwhile, Protestant sects are at most just over 500 years old. We know this historically. They are not founded by Christ, they often lack authority, and they tend to teach much error. They lack the fullness of Truth and teach with a faulty method of “Sola Scriptura”, which tends to just be “I interpret this as meaning this”. They lack the thousands of years of spirituality and depth of the Catholic Faith, they lack the Sacred Tradition, etc.

I would like to add that a lot of people, even non-Catholics, see the church as one of the last great beacons of common sense for refusing to cave to a culture that does not even know what the hell it wants.

I would add that Catholics have access to graces and gifts through special devotions and intercession of saints which Protestants reject. This is not to be taken lightly, for in this world of suffering we need all the help we can get from above.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.