Why is it better to be Catholic?

That actually hasn’t been retracted, and it is not an error. The Church is the Body of Christ, and here I refer to not only the institution. Apart from the Body of Christ there is no salvation. All who are saved are saved through the Church.

Unam sanctam went a whole lot further than that. I think that this bull was from the year 1302, but I could be wrong. It was issued by pope Boniface VIII. In it, this pope was telling the world that only the Catholic Church is the body of Christ…which is exactly why it was such a shocking and controversial bull.

Yes, one must belong to the Catholic Church to be saved. That is understood to be technically correct in that the Catholic Church is more than just an institution of man or a label. Everyone who is saved is done so through the Catholic Church and is part of the Catholic Church, whether or not they thought of themselves in terms such as Lutheran or Baptist or had never heard of the Church.

There are no denominations in Heaven. One belongs to the one, holy, apostolic, and universal Church. One Church.

How did you come to know that this is true? BTW, if I believed that this is true, I’d be a “church worshiper” myself!

Although I appreciate your time in your response to me, to be honest, I really do not know where you stand on being a Catholic or a non-Catholic. I have re-read your posts. In some you seem to be anti-Catholic and then in others pro-Catholic. Curious: What is your stance? What is your religious affiliation?

I’m a former Catholic. I am now a nondenominational Christian, attending a Southern Baptist church. I’m very “pro Catholic” in terms of my love and concern for those who are devoted to the CC. But I left the CC because of some Catholic teachings that I believe are harmful and man-centered.

Man centered?

Can you give an example?

I’ll start to answer your question by asking you a question: How do we receive Jesus, and the salvation that He provides?

Seriously?

Because we don’t ordain women? You know the Baptists aren’t exactly accepting of ordained women, right? I can’t think of her name at the moment, but I read a great article published by a very prominent female Baptist who talked about the abhorrent treatment she’s received over the years from fellow male ministers.

I guess my response wasn’t very clear, and for that I apologize. By “man centered” I wasn’t bringing up the issue of sexism. I meant it in the traditional and old-fashioned way…in which “man” is referring to mankind generally rather than males only. Sorry for the confusion!

Yes, Jesus in the Holy Eucharist, and the Sacrament of Confession.
But one has to realize that to those to whom much is given much much more will be required.

TheCatholic Church has all the tools, all the weapons, all the fountains of supernatural Sanctifying Grace to become saints. Thus Catholic religiosity without spiritual transformation is as effective as the religiosity of the pharisees whom Jesus excoriated.

Learning, learning, learning, without spiritual transformation leads to pride and hypocrisy. Only seeking healing healing, healing, through religion, without spiritual transformation of heart, is merely a self centered endeavor. religiosity can turn people into hypocrisy if it doesn’t directly lead to spiritual transformation of heart.

If one is Catholic and wants to be obedient, it means being a Catholic 24 hour a day everywhere we are, not having a double life; It’s about love. Love for God, and love for neighbor. Love is a choice, not a feeling. The choice is all or nothing. No room for lukewarmness. A true Catholic means a radical change in life, because in Catholicism nobody has an excuse. The supernatural grace is there in abundance, in overflowing measures, available every day.

Catholics are supposed to be Eucharistic Vessels of Reparation. The Spiritual Army of God; the Church Militant in the world. And the battle is daily, against self; against the World, the Devil and the Flesh. A sacrifice united to Christ for the conversion of sinners, In a nutshell, God wants us to become saints within our unique circumstances and places in life among the people God sends in our life and across our path…

The ones that passed on the teachings of Jesus and the apostles. The very early church apparently was known as “the way”. There is no evidence that these early Christians had any knowledge of several Catholic teachings such as the papacy, purgatory, indulgences, transubstantiation, and others.

If your church started five or two hundred years ago, it may not have the record of what the early church believed, did and practiced. And some books of the Bible that might refer to them, those churches just delete them from the canon of the Bible. So I can understand your predicament.

However, the Catholic Church started on day one of Christianity.

The apostle Peter was the her first Pope and his successors in an uninterrupted line up to the present Pope Francis.

Indulgence was revealed long ago in the Old Testament in 2 Sam 12 that King David, even though forgiven of his sin of murdering Uriah and taking his wife Bathsheba, still had to receive temporal punishment in the death of his first son.

Purgatory was referred to in Maccabee and St. Paul spoke about it that we have to be purified with fire.

And so too about Transubstantiation which St. Paul spoke about real body and real blood of Jesus that we eat and drink.

Through the Church that Jesus established…upon a rock, not on sand, and which that He would send the Holy Spirit to guide it into truth always.

So…now back to my question…Man centered?

Can you give an example?

This is a talking point; not an answer to my question. Here is my question to you: How do we receive Jesus, and the salvation that He provides? If you will provide the specific answer to this question, then I will answer your question.

Yes, king David was punished for his sin of murdering Uriah and taking his wife Bathsheba. But what does king David’s punishment have to do with the Catholic doctrines of purgatory or indulgences?

Where did St. Paul tell us that we have to be purified with fire?

In 1 Corinthians.

For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw — each man’s work will become
manifest; for the day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done
. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss…
(1 Corinthians 3:11-15)

The fire of loss is the fire of Hell. The saving fire is the fire of Purgatory.

Is this what 1 Cor. 3:11-15 says? I missed that part.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.