Why is it better to be Catholic?

I’ve suspected it for days now and just thought, yep, I’m going there. Because it’s wearing thin.

I’m not as well-versed (lol) in this stuff as a lot of folks…I knew it was a buzzword but I couldn’t place what for. I’m learning quick, though.

I’ve had a LOT of exposure to Calvinists…hence why I try not to associate with them if I can all help it :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL. You’d think as an ex-Methodist I’d be more up on it than I am. :laughing::laughing:

Except Methodists ain’t Calvinist :rofl: Methodism is practically completely Arminian in theology.

The MC is a direct rejection of Calvinism, and I know that, which is why I said I should know more about it.

Are you saying that to receive Jesus and be saved, we need the Catholic Church to baptize us and to teach us these things? If this is what you’re saying, then how did you come to know this? Are there any other churches that baptize and teach these things?

You’re on a Catholic forum. The majority of us here are going to tell you “yes” to the former and “no” to the latter. Why you expect another response is beyond me. It’s a simple question for us, really.

I seem to remember hearing this in my grandmother’s Baptist church as well on more than one occasion - that the only way to be “saved” was by “asking Jesus into your heart” and that Catholics were clueless on the matters of faith, justification, grace, works, and salvation. “Just ask Jesus into your heart and everything will be okay, you’re forgiven if you ask for it, and that’s all you have to do” (which is written nowhere, and yet they laugh at us for Confession). I didn’t agree then and I don’t agree now. And I don’t need an apologetics talent to tell you why: because it’s illogical. It simply doesn’t make sense.

Be careful where you’re treading, unless you want to start quoting irrefutable and point blank references to the five solas.

Which we all know you can’t.

How did I come to know this?

I studied it. I considered it. I investigated it. This entire thread has been about how any of us who profess the Catholic faith have come to know this - especially converts. We weren’t born into it. We learned it.

And I’m still shaking my head here because if you’re saying that believing the Catholic Church is needed to teach us these things is “man centered”, then you need to rethink your strategy - because that’s the equivalent of saying every other church does the same thing.

We’re not sola scriptura (which is where I see this going), so you’re not going to get that out of us. We don’t believe in scripture only, and even as a Protestant I didn’t buy that either.

This is my very first exposure to the terms monergism and Arminianism. Something to be aware of, being just a regular cradle Catholic.

Don’t suppose you know of a comparison chart?

There’s one in the Wiki article on Arminianism:

@deMontfort
Your link is enlightening and mind boggling. Can’t presume I will ever comprehend the subtle and diverse positions of the innumerable non-Catholic denominations. Reason enough, that it is “better to be Catholic.” I kept thinking:

1 Corinthians 1: 11-13 (paraphrased)
“… each of you says, “I belong to Calvin,” or “I belong to Arminius,” or “I belong to Grotius,”

Instead, “I belong to Christ” who established his church 2000 years ago and set the barque afloat, with Peter at the helm, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Well…

Why did you even ask me those questions and asserted Christianity isn’t for me based upon something I have absolutely no idea what your intention was in posting in the first place.

You got my reply to who I was posting wrong.
You got my point wrong.
You asserted many things based upon something I did not say.

So to make it short; I have no idea what you are attempting to get at in that post to me.

Regards

Yup.

But then it is said that it wasn’t “created” but “developed” later on.

Can you tell us what is Catholic teaching on purgatory that you deny here? What is it? I like to know what you object to.

Thanks.

If you just assume, then there is no certainty to it. Anybody can assume.

It is good for you to explain what “the Way” is, which you mentioned to support your assertion and which you are asked to explain. Do you know who these people were and what they believe? Who were they? When did they exist? Can you provide maybe some source to back your claim?

I have responded…but you have not proferred any “man-centered” doctrine yet…so we are all waiting.

I am saying you need the Church…that Jesus established…because that is what is has always been…since the time of the Apostles…but the CC does not deny that other churches can offer graces.

There are many churches that teach something similar to what the Catholic Church has taught since the time of Peter…but the question is…is it the right gospel and the full gospel from the Apostles?

Again…where is your example of a man-centered doctrine? You seem to be running away from providing at least one.

Your response was just more Catholic talking points in which you were careful not to give anything specific regarding the question I asked. My question is this: How do we receive Jesus, and the salvation that He provides?

Your response: I am saying you need the Church…that Jesus established…because that is what is has always been…since the time of the Apostles…but the CC does not deny that other churches can offer graces.

Is this your answer?

Ah, we’re back to baiting and avoiding every single question that’s been posed to you.

If you are willing to consider Scripture as a reliable source, here are a few references to “The Way”.

Acts 9:2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
Acts 19:9 But when some became stubborn and continued in unbelief, speaking evil of the Way before the congregation, he withdrew from them and took the disciples with him, reasoning daily in the hall of Tyrannus.
Acts 19:23 About that time there arose no little disturbance concerning the Way.
Acts 24:14 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets,
Acts 24:22 But Felix, having a rather accurate knowledge of the Way, put them off, saying, “When Lysias the tribune comes down, I will decide your case.”

I object to the teaching of purgatory because:

1. There is no need for it according to Scripture. (Heb. 10:1-14)
  2. There is absolutely no evidence that the doctrine of purgatory was known by the apostles.
  3. Because of number one (above) the teaching of purgatory is just mocking the perfect sacrifice of Jesus as if it were insufficient.

Re: the opening question

I realize I’m coming in late to the discussion. If the following has been asked and answered before, then just ignore.

The answer to the opening question, requires proof properly referenced, not one’s personal opinion… agreed? After all, if it’s true, that it is better to be Catholic, then there better be good evidence to prove it… true?

1. What evidence will convince you?
  2. Please list a few requirements, most important at the top.\ of the list

That question needs to be asked differently. What proof(s) do YOU need? List what you would need answered

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.