Why is it so diffiicult ? Whats the deal?

I am trying to get the ball rolling with Religious Orders and Seminaries. Either they wont pick up my phone, return my email or when I do get a hold of them on phone, i cant apply till im 18.

Whats the deal? 18 is only a year and less than a month away for me? so whats the difficulty? Can I not apply at least, even if I have to wait until im 18 to be accepted.

I’ve tried to phone Our Lady of Guadelupe Seminary, but Fr. Lawrence wont pick up, a few times now

I’ve called the Institute of CHRIST the KING, I talked to the VD, but again, applying has to wait till im 18.

The Knights of the HOLY EUCHARIST would have me, but religious worker visas are hard to get, and Bishop Baker said no more Priests for the time being, (between EWTN and the Shrine)

I’ve phoned the Seminary of CHRIST THE KING

I should wait until March.

Im awaiting for an email from the Franciscans of the Immaculate

What is going on? why do people doubt what I say? I am sincere in what I say, and I mean to do what I say. I’m lost, I know im called, but the fact of the matter is, I want to serve CHRIST AND HIS CHURCH, Whats so complex about this concept? I want to celebrate the Sacraments, help the poor, sick, dying, imprisoned and alone, I want to preach, teach and love all. Is this too hard to grasp??

I want to live for CHRIST, i’ve waited long enough (since the age of 5 or 6), let me start now, try me out now,

I feel like tearing my hair and running in one direction. I am for the first time in this process, lost, confused and severely annoyed.

Please help, smirk comments excluded

I don't think it has a thing to do with others doubting your sincerity; I think it has everything to do with waiting until you are legally an adult at age 18.

Patience is a virtue; maybe you are being asked to exercise some?

God bless you in your discernment.

I hope you won't discount this as a smirk comment. but here goes. I can understand the delaying tactics, if such they are, and not just people being rather busy.

Do a search for your own posts, and read them all. Can you see how you could come over as volatile and emotional, even immature?

Calm down, work on being mature and patient, then you will be attractive as a steady, balanced candidate.

You don't want to end up in the wrong place, nor would any seminary want to acquire a candidate who does not fit in. It's for your long-term benefit for them to be cautious, can you see that?

What's your hurry? You are not old enough to apply yet. That's the fact you don't seem willing to accept.

Patience is a virtue indeed.

Use this time to deepen your prayer life - start going to daily Mass if possible, commit to Morning and Evening prayers and add on the other hours as possible.

Make sure you are doing well in school - priests receive quite a bit of education, so you should develop good study habits and a good attitude towards school.

Join a service group at your parish or diocese. Be ready to help by teaching CCD, working in the soup kitchen or with the St Vincet de Paul group.

Be active in your parish or diocesean youth group. Learn to serve the altar if you don't already.

There are many things you can do during this time of waiting. Consider it as a "pre-Candidate" year and use this time in preparation.

God bless you.

I Altar serve (have been since the age of 5,6 or 7) Lector, I am going to help teach some classes at our Parish, religious ed, etc. I want to help at food kitchens, etc…, love to pray, spiritual reading, etc.

[quote="mymamamary, post:5, topic:291936"]
I Altar serve (have been since the age of 5,6 or 7) Lector, I am going to help teach some classes at our Parish, religious ed, etc. I want to help at food kitchens, etc..., love to pray, spiritual reading, etc.

[/quote]

OK, then take a deep breath and simply wait. You have not be turned away by any organization; they are simply waiting for you to reach the age when they may accept your application. Do what you can in your own parish and community, be patient and pray.

[quote="mymamamary, post:5, topic:291936"]
I Altar serve (have been since the age of 5,6 or 7) Lector, I am going to help teach some classes at our Parish, religious ed, etc. I want to help at food kitchens, etc..., love to pray, spiritual reading, etc.

[/quote]

What's your point?

I've read a lot of your threads and I realize I'm going through the same things, but you just need to slow down. I always tell my dad things like this and what I want to do once I become a priest and what I think would be good for the church for the future. And after several weeks he said to me in clear desperation, "Will you stop wishing my life away?"

I think you just need to accept that time is needed. Just pray on these issues for a few moments and accept that patience will be needed for success.

I echo the comments of others on here and from several other threads such at this one you have posted. Every single week it's the same thing; you post over and over with such drastic and dramatic highs and lows. You need to calm down, take a deep breath, and learn some patience about these things. You sound paranoid and very emotional, and that's not healthy for either one's emotional or spiritual well-being. Realize that all things that are God's will happen on God's time--not a moment sooner, and not a moment later. If you are called, you will go when God wants you to. So place it all in his hands and trust him.

Try something--this has helped me with some of the frustrations I've had in my own life about others around me seemingly going off the deep end or all the problems in the world. Whenever you feel tempted to get on here and just spill out all these emotions, save it. Write it all up in a Word document on your computer, and then read it three or four or five or ten times before you even think about posting it. And then, before you post it, get off the computer and sit quietly for a good while, and if you can, sit before the Blessed Sacrament. Tell Our Lord what is going through your thoughts, just pour it all out to him. You seem very desperate to prove yourself to people, but know that in the end it doesn't matter if everyone on here judges you worthy or not of a vocation. That is up for God to decide.

-ACEGC

[quote="mymamamary, post:1, topic:291936"]

I feel like tearing my hair and running in one direction. I am for the first time in this process, lost, confused and severely annoyed.

[/quote]

Maybe while you are waiting, you can read this:

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

Jesus places rather a large value on humble obedience. I believe, if you read Saint Faustina's diary, you will hear Him speak about this fairly often. He talks about religious often, and what He values in His chosen ones. That could be interesting for you to know.

Whats the deal? 18 is only a year and less than a month away for me? so whats the difficulty?

[/quote]

Now would be a good time to exercise self control, keep your emotions in check and under the control of your reason, and most importantly, appreciate the fact that certain kinds of impatience with the rules that other people lay down is a sign of having a disobedient spirit. Abandoning oneself to the influences of emotions, even if those emotions sound pious on the surface, interferes with docility, which is an indispensable virtue especially for the religious life.

But most of all, keep in mind that people who ignore wise advice miss out on a lot of advantages during their journey, and if they persistently indulge their youthful passions, they are ultimately left to their own devices. So says scripture and approved spiritual authors.

Which reminds me: For the second time, have you read any of them yet?

It's good that you are contacting the orders. Remember you are not the only passionate teenager who has ever pounded on their doors in the decades - or centuries - these orders have existed.

:thumbsup:

I am smiling, and not because you are frustrated. You obviously have a lot of energy toward the Church, and this is a good thing. But I know it must be frustrating not to have anything BIG to do yet. Everyone says, "Be patient, be patient," but HOW???

Here is my advice.

1. Get OFF the computer. Go DO STUFF. You say you want to serve, then serve! At 16, you should be able to volunteer without a parent present. Sign up for everything you can! Stay busy and out of the house 8 hours a day, period. Get around other people. If you like kids, help out at a shelter. If you like to cook, go to a food kitchen. If you can play music, play while the homeless people eat. Just DO IT. Sign up for every ministry you can think of.

2. Exercise daily. At least 20 minutes, and up to 60 minutes if 20 doesn't help. Wear yourself out.

3. Stop thinking of the future and think only of THIS DAY. One day at a time. Do this day well. Do the next right thing. Don't project yourself so far into your future. When the time is right, the time will be right, and God will put you where he wants you. Stay in this moment. As much as you want to be in your future, you can't be there. You have to get from here to there, one day at a time.

HUGS to you. You're gonna be fine, I just know it.

MyM..

What does God want you to learn in the "now"?

Maybe some of these Gifts of the Holy Spirit (from the CCC)?:

Wisdom: We see God at work in our lives and in the world. For the wise, the wonders of nature, historical events, and the ups and downs of life take on deeper meaning. We see God as our Father, appreciate the dignity of others, and find God in all things.

Understanding: In understanding, we comprehend how we need to live as followers of Christ. A person with understanding is not confused by the conflicting messages in our culture about the right way to live. The gift of understanding perfects a person's speculative reason in the apprehension of truth. It is the gift whereby self-evident principles are known, Aquinas writes.

*Fortitude *(Courage): With the gift of fortitude/courage, we overcome our fear and are willing to take risks as a follower of Jesus Christ. A person with courage is willing to stand up for what is right in the sight of God, even if it means accepting rejection, verbal abuse, or physical harm. The gift of courage allows people the firmness of mind that is required both in doing good and in enduring evil.

1. Stop thinking of the future and think only of THIS DAY. One day at a time. Do this day well. Do the next right thing. Don't project yourself so far into your future. When the time is right, the time will be right, and God will put you where he wants you. Stay in this moment. As much as you want to be in your future, you can't be there. You have to get from here to there, one day at a time.

Right on. It is VERY important to stay focused on the present. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You really need to be practicing some patience, and follow the rules.

Obedience is a hallmark of a good priest.

And, considering you cannot be ordained until you are at least 25, why are you in such a hurry?

From the Code of Canon Law

Can. 1031 §1. The presbyterate is not to be conferred except on those who have completed the twenty-fifth year of age and possess sufficient maturity; an interval of at least six months is to be observed between the diaconate and the presbyterate. Those destined to the presbyterate are to be admitted to the order of deacon only after completing the twenty-third year of age.

I am trying to get the ball rolling with Religious Orders and Seminaries. Either they wont pick up my phone, return my email or when I do get a hold of them on phone, i cant apply till im 18.

Whats the deal? 18 is only a year and less than a month away for me? so whats the difficulty? Can I not apply at least, even if I have to wait until im 18 to be accepted.

I've tried to phone Our Lady of Guadelupe Seminary, but Fr. Lawrence wont pick up, a few times now

I've called the Institute of CHRIST the KING, I talked to the VD, but again, applying has to wait till im 18.

The Knights of the HOLY EUCHARIST would have me, but religious worker visas are hard to get, and Bishop Baker said no more Priests for the time being, (between EWTN and the Shrine)

I've phoned the Seminary of CHRIST THE KING

I should wait until March.

Im awaiting for an email from the Franciscans of the Immaculate

What is going on? why do people doubt what I say? I am sincere in what I say, and I mean to do what I say. I'm lost, I know im called, but the fact of the matter is, I want to serve CHRIST AND HIS CHURCH, Whats so complex about this concept? I want to celebrate the Sacraments, help the poor, sick, dying, imprisoned and alone, I want to preach, teach and love all. Is this too hard to grasp??

I want to live for CHRIST, i've waited long enough (since the age of 5 or 6), let me start now, try me out now,

[/quote]

MyMM,

Your excitement is palpable and I can see you are just wanting to burst with all the overwhelming feelings you are having. :)

But like others have said, you are gonna be tested it seems, and have to grow in some patience, diligence and obedience.

You still have another year of high school to go right? And then years of formation and discernment.

Pace yourself or you will burn out before you even have a chance. :)

No man becomes a priest without a great deal of formation and education. Trying to figure it out all "right now" in someways means you may be listening more to your own desires and excitement and less listening to what God wants from you.

Focus on Him, and not your desires so much right now.

God Bless!

Sorry, but I dont see how a 16 year old is 100% sure he is supposed to be a priest. In seminary, almost everyone doesnt know if they are supposed to be priests or not.

[quote="MHT32, post:17, topic:291936"]
Sorry, but I dont see how a 16 year old is 100% sure he is supposed to be a priest. In seminary, almost everyone doesnt know if they are supposed to be priests or not.

[/quote]

Do we take it that you are in a seminary yourself, MHT32?

If so, your views should be listened to by the OP with particular interest.

And I would like to add that I thought Church teaching is that nobody can be sure they have a vocation until they are 'called' by the Bishop.

[quote="paperwight66, post:18, topic:291936"]
Do we take it that you are in a seminary yourself, MHT32?

If so, your views should be listened to by the OP with particular interest.

And I would like to add that I thought Church teaching is that nobody can be sure they have a vocation until they are 'called' by the Bishop.

[/quote]

I am not, however I too am discerning. But I have multiple friends that are in seminary, and not one of them went to seminary knowing if they will be priests or not. No one can be too sure if thats what God is calling them to do, if I were the OP I wouldnt assume that I knew what God wants me to do for the rest of my life, I would get a good spiritual director to help discern. Seminary also takes 6-8 years and a seminarian will be discerning every one of those years, no one can be too sure. But when its all said and done, the people who are meant to be priests will be priests.

I can agree to this, however there certainly are “flags” that go up that can show signs of a vocation. I’d like to think I am called to a vocation with the FSSP but I really don’t know. If I am not called to the Priesthood then a lot of preparation and dreams and prayers would have been crushed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.