Why is it that people from different religions feel the same thing about the truth of their religion?

PAX

Brother & Sisters, Need some help in answering this video & question. It a question I get frequently from teens, young adults, and those that are searching.

If there are any other threads on this topic, please let me know. THX

youtu.be/UJMSU8Qj6Go
Why is it that people from different religions feel the same thing about the truth of their religion?

I am building a response below:

Having a Conversion experience:

Warm Feeling :
• Love
• Peace

Life Change:

Truth?

Knowledge & Reason:
• Discernment
• Testing
• Fruits:
• Short term vs Long term
• Authority

Experience. Not only theirs, but their family/friends, who most likely love them and genuinely want what is best for them. There is no doubt, that this is a very strong influence on the hearts of others. As someone who’s parents and friends are Presbyterian, and very devout, it is quite difficult to attend a different church. Especially, when you can see your actions, no matter how honorable, take a toll on them, due to their love and wish for you to be in the pew next them.

People search for Truth, being all created in the image of God, we search for the fulfilment that only exists in knowing and living His purpose for us. That’s what draws us but unfortunately the search has gone off the rails in many cases right from the beginning. The first humans knew God and lived in harmony with Him but then trough disobedience rejected him and were over time scattered throughout the world. Many forgot what they knew about the one true God and created their own religions. They began teach falsehoods for various reasons. People still find some solace in false religions or religions with little or no truth left in them. Some are attracted more to the social aspects of gathering or emotional highs offered by some religions and faiths.

Some people however remained faithful to what they knew about the one true God and passed it down through Judaism. Albeit with some periods of great strife and apostasy as the Old Testament attests. God remained faithful to them and made a promise of redemption from the fall that he fulfilled through the incarnation of Christ which was the fulfilment and destiny of Judaism. Unfortunately not all accepted or accept that and cling to the unfulfilled version of God’s promise.

Most Christian based religions have some truth. Some more than others. But that doesn’t change the fact that no where in scripture does it say that if you feel that there were abuses in the Church founded by Christ to go off and start a new one, which is what the protestant churches’ founders did. Christ only founded and Commissioned one Church and it still exists as the longest lasting organization in the world.

No one can deny that there were plenty of abuses and heresies going on in the early Catholic Church as Christ warned that there would be when he talked about wolves in the sheepfold. In fact many books of the new Testament were letters that the authors wrote trying to reign in the wing-nuts! Saint Paul and Saint Peter must have been pulling their hair out trying to keep pagan and Jewish converts and those who wanted to pick and choose what they wanted to keep from their former faiths in line. The early church Fathers continually fought to counter heresies and schisms in the Church.

As we know abuses still go on and there are those who have their own agendas and ideas they would love the Church to buy into and that’s why the Church has Councils to determine and confirm what is true or not. The Faith is perfect… the faithful are not! The Catholic Church is full of sinners, but when you think about it, it would be strange if it wasn’t as that was who Christ came to call! Catholics are not perfect, far from it, but they are called to strive for perfection.

The video seems to imply that as long as people feel the need and search for God that any religion is okay. That’s not true as false religions will never fulfill God’s intention and plan for humankind. They will never lead people along the path God intended for us. While I don’t doubt that there are many who sincerely believe their religion to be true we can’t endorse error for the sake of not wanting to hurt their feelings. That’s not loving them, but just amounts to us taking the easy and secularly politically correct road. Christ hurt a lot of peoples feelings and sensibilities, but always spoke the truth bluntly. I wish I could be more like Him!

Because “feeling” something, such as that their religion is true, is an emotional response based on subjective experiences. Anyone can feel that anything is true. What’s important is whether or not what they “feel” is true can hold up to rational scrutiny.

What people who promote this fallacious ideology are doing is replacing logic and rational study with being “emotionally” invested. They relegate the search for God to a mere emotional drive, rather than a deep longing of the entire person. If it’s just emotional, then being emotionally fulfilled is enough to them. On the other hand, if it is a deep seated drive intrinsic to the nature of the human person (as Catholics believe it to be), then petty emotional reactions are not enough, and deep, intense study and searching are required. Most people aren’t willing to truly study these things in depth any more, and are completely ignorant of the core precepts of logic (such as the law of non-contradiction, which states that two opposing positions cannot both be true, which completely destroys the entire notion of relativism), which is why we’re seeing more and more relativistic nonsense like this.

Because they would feel silly for practicing a religion that they knew was a lie.

When Jesus said to His apostles, “Satan has demanded to sift you like wheat”, obviously Satan was given that permission from God to sift. It’s one of those tests God allows in our life to see who WE will choose to follow…Jesus or Satan.

Jesus wouldn’t have needed to pray for ANYONE, that their faith won’t fail them, and in particular He wouldn’t have to pray especially for Peter if the sifting that Satan is allowed to do, was no serious attack.

Division from th eCatholic Church wouldn’t be such an issue, had Jesus not put huge emphasis on unity. John 17:20-23

The consequence for the soul who divides ( [FONT=Arial]διχοστασίας[/FONT] ) from the only Church Jesus established, comes to us from Jesus via the Holy Spirit John 14:25-26 , John 16:12-15 to His apostles. They who divide and remain divided from Our Lord’s Church, won’t be going to heaven if they remain divided .

When Paul wrote [FONT=Arial]Galatians 5:19-21[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][19][/FONT] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, [FONT=Arial][20][/FONT] Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects [FONT=Arial]διχοστασίας[/FONT]] , [FONT=Arial][21][/FONT] Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God.

The HS inspired Paul to write that. The HS only passes onto Paul what He receives from Jesus John 16:12-15 . Therefore those sins ( [FONT=Arial]διχοστασίας ) being one of them, and that condemnation, came from Jesus. And there is no expiration date to that condemnation. The following [/FONT]“they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God.” is as good in Paul’s day as it is in our day and till the end of time.

If there were no negative consequence for division from the Catholic Church, then E Orthodox and all these countless sects we call Protestantism would be no big deal. But obviously division is contrary to Jesus message and command. [FONT=Calibri]John 17:20-23[/FONT]

Satan divides by convincing people they aren’t doing wrong to divide. Then he convinces them to stay divided because they are right and the other groups out there are wrong. And because each division he creates, thinks they are right, then on and on divisions go. And in extension the ongoing wreckage of souls

An often quoted saying,.that speaks volumes both theologically and historically, “To be deep in history is to cease being Protestant

It’s also to cease being E Orthodox

To be deep in history is to be Catholic
#34****

I think what we believe depends a lot on what we learned while our brain was developing to it’s final state – structurally. I mean growth here, not change, and am referring to what happens up to around age 23.
Jesus also said that it is children who accept God’s spirit most.
This just confirms what I believe.
How children lose their trust is probably a tragedy ubiquitous in all religious cultures.
As is the joy of how it is retained.

Apparently, regardless of the ratio of truth to falsehood, positive relationships have a positive effect and a strong, healthy sense of community does not have any particularly strong links to either truth or falsehood.

For someone who’s left a religion, this can actually be a bit of a comfort. It can help someone accept that otherwise nice people who do good things can be mistaken or completely wrong about what the truth is. It can be a little less comforting for someone who’s been raised in their parents’ religion, however, because it can easily strip away the connections between admittedly really good people and the good things they do…and the certitude that anyone would like to feel about known truths.

Generally speaking, the answer to this common thread probably has to do with trust. Everyone instinctively wants to spend time around people that they trust; however, trusting people to be good people and do good things is one matter and trusting someone to know the truth and be reliable in helping you know all the truth you’d like to know is a separate matter entirely. More to the point, there is an extremely limited causal relationship between the two, but this does not tend to be a concept that is known or felt all that intuitively with most people.

I didn’t really have teens or young adults particularly in mind when I was writing that, but it now occurs to me that teens and young adults are pretty likely to have fairly profound issues with trust and doubt, sometimes to the point where it’s as if those two things are in a dogfight, other times it’s like a pendulum swinging to one extreme or the other.

You are on to very positive ideas, but I don’t follow the science,nor am I sure there is any science quoted to back up your claims about “healthy community” and truth. If a community is not doing good, then it has not truth to guide it. “A good tree does not bear rotten fruit, nor does a rotten tree bear good fruit.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.