Why is it wrong to love Mary?

Why is it wrong to love Mary?

Below (post# 2) is a letter (prayer) I wrote for Mary. All of my comments in this letter are Biblical, if you are not a Catholic and you do not love Mary, please explain why you don’t (love Mary)? Where is it written, in the Bible that you cannot love Mary?

My letter (prayer) to Mary

*Dear Mary,

You are the Mother of God and my mother too. You were the perfect Mother and the perfect disciple. Mary, you were the one chosen (handpicked) by God from all time and all woman to be the Mother of God.

You are the precious vessel and the way my Lord entered the world.

You have always done the “will of our heavenly Father” and are by Jesus’ definition, His “brother, and sister, and mother” (His loyal servant, follower and disciple).

Please pray for me that I may always be a loyal follower of your Son, as you are. You have shown me how to Love your Son.

You are the Mother of God and Jesus’ disciple. You are the only person who ever lived that was with Jesus from the beginning, until the end at the foot of His cross.

You held the baby Jesus in your arms, loving Him and protecting Him, never letting Him go, until he was taken from you at the Cross. You never denied him or left Him. You remained quite because you knew that you would have to suffer so that the rest of mankind might be saved.

You were there in the upper room during Pentecost!

As for your name in scripture, there exists not a single word against you. There is no finer example of a person who has completely surrendered himself to the will of God, as you Mary.

You were truly, madly in love with your Son Jesus and who from the beginning; you knew He was “God with us”. Your perfect expression of surrender, “May it be done to me according to your word” is the source of my strength.

Mary, you kept many things in your heart and reflected on them, you truly knew the Lord before any of the apostles and He knew you.

When you brought the baby Jesus to Simeon, His destiny was revealed to you; before any other disciples knew, you knew!

“A sword pierced your own heart, so that the thoughts of many hearts would be known”. I can only imagine how you suffered and the strength you must have needed to continue on to the very end, to the foot of the cross.

I love you Mary, thank you.

You encouraged Him at the wedding at Cana, the point in which your Son Jesus and our Lord began His ministry, you sad, “do as He says”, may these words always be a reminder to me to, “do as He says”

You loved Jesus with all of your heart, all of your soul, all of your mind and all of your strength. Has there been anyone as devoted to my Lord, as you? Blessed Mary, the Lord is with you, you are blessed among all women and all generation will consider you blessed. You have been reunited with your Lord, how sweet that must be. Mary, my mother, please pray for me that the Lord have mercy on me a sinner and that one day I can come home to the Lord.

Thank you Mary and pray for me that I may always think of your great example of love, sacrifice and surrender. One cannot think about you, Mary without thinking about your son Jesus. I am madly in love with you and I am madly in love with your son, my lord Jesus Christ. May my focus allows be on Christ, as you were always focused on Him.

Your son and Christ’s loyal follower,*

• Jimmy*

Why didn’t you right the letter to Jesus?

That is the reply Protestants would say.

^No. What Protestants would say is:

WHOEVER TOLD YOU ITS WRONG TO LOVE MARY??? Our beef is the worship of Mary, not the love for her.

[size=3]Why did the Paul write all of his letters? Why are Paul’s letters in the Bible?

Why are the stories about Job, Noah, Moses, Peter and Paul in the Bible?

The purpose of the thread is an “explanation” to our non-Catholic Christian brothers, to try to show them why we Catholics love Mary.

My “letter” is a compilation of Bible verses written about Mary. Why are these verses in the Bible, if we are not to read, repeat or reflect on them?

This thread is about Mary, written as a “letter to Mary”, as a reflection on the Mary, as described in the Gospels. It is my literary method, used to express a point and hopefully change some of the negative views towards Mary, the mother of God.

I doubt very much that Jesus will mind, that I love His mother. I don’t think He will dislike this “letter”.

It doesn’t bother me one bit that there are those who love my biological Mother, I am happy for her when this happens.

[FONT=Arial]I am happy when someone loves the ones I love. [/FONT][/size]

everybody knows that. i’m sure even muslims understand that you love mary because she was the mother of jesus.

but what both protestants & muslims cant figure out, is why do you appear to treat Mary as if she is somewhat on the same level as God himself.

A beautiful and well written letter of love and prayer to The Blessed Mother of God.

I also have a special love for Mary (as you might tell by my name:p ). She led me to her Son and His Church. She grabbed my Atheist heart and the rest is history.

Hail Mary Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee.

If read Paul’s letters, in the Bible you will see that Jesus is not commented on in every verse.

His (Paul’s) letters may not always, directly discuss Jesus, they do, however, teach us many important lessons and they all lead us to Jesus Christ.

Does anyone disagree with this comment?

An observation.

For Protestants Mary is merely as important as Moses & David. Noted in paper but nothing more.

For Catholics, they make it an effort to love Mary. I know why. :smiley: Its because catholics think that Mary has some kind of omniscient power that she could hear their every prayers to her. And in return they believe that Mary could keep persuading God to give Catholics a special attention.

Thank you Love4mary, and May God Bless you.

I love your handle and even though there are persons here who might think that you should have taken another forum name, they don’t realize that in your case, Mary led you to her son Jesus.

I love your expression, “She grabbed my …heart”. When Mary grab’s your heart she hands it to Jesus.

We (us and Mary) share the same Lord and Savior, she teaches us, not how to love, but ***how to fall in love ***with Jesus!

She has grabbed my heart as well. When I fell in love with Mary, my love for Jesus was magnified many times over.

I am sad for our protestant friends (and some Catholics too) who don’t understand this.

It wasn’t until my own mother fell in love with Mary, that she was “truly” in love with Jesus. Now she weeps any time she thinks about Christ’s passion. As a mother herself, she understands the pain Mary felt at the suffering of her son. It is this context, which brought her closer to Jesus.

Thanks again for your post, God Bless.

Dont worry, they share your concerns. For protestants they are sad that you cant appreciate how they devote their full attention to Jesus, instead of dividing their time between God and the saints…like you do. :smiley:

to each his own.

to each his own.

har har har. :smiley:

That’s a well-thought-out reply . . . NOT!!
When did the Catholic Church claim that Mary was omniscient?
More hit-and-run sarcasm, Agnos?
I anxiously await your reply to my question about your claim . . .

i said ‘some kind’ of ominiscience. catholics dont say it outright, but thats what it logically amounts to: millions of catholics praying to her all at the same time…you’ll need some kind of ‘all knowing’ powers in order to recieve and understand all those simultaneous messages coming long distance from earth. :smiley:

Thank you for your post.

This is a good point.

One way that someone can “have a personal relationship with Jesus” it to take advantage of some quit time in the day, sit down and write a personal letter to Jesus.

It is in this way, that we can reflect on the Gospels and on Christ, collect are thoughts and think about what we are to write.

If your are not doing this now, I suggest you start, it is a great way to get closer to Christ Jesus.

God Bless!

Your observation is incorrect, Mary does have special power, above that of mere men. Perhaps this will be of some help.

There are three forms of honor that are we use. In Greek: Dulia, Hyperdulia, and Latria. Dulia is a form of honor that we use to honor saints. This can be likened to the way that one might pay homage to a family member or ancestor. Hyperdulia is a higher form of dulia or veneration offered to Mary as the theotokos, the Mother of God. Latria is praise and worship that is offered to God alone.

I look at prayer to the saints in this way: many people (Catholics and Protestants) have asked me to pray for them or for a special intention they have; I have no problem with this. Asking a saint to do the same is no different, except that they happen to reside with God. I look at prayer to Mary in this way: when we were very young and really wanted someone to help us with something, we went straight to that person’s mother. Mothers have a special way in which they ‘convince’ us to do things. Jesus’ mother is no different:

There was a wedding in Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding. When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” [And] Jesus said to her, “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servers, “Do whatever he tells you.” . . . Jesus told them, “Fill the jars with water.” So they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “Draw some out now and take it ot the headwaiter.” So they took it. And when the headwaiter tasted the water that had become wine . . . Jesus did this as the beginning of his sings in Cana in Galilee and so revealed his glory, and his disciples came to believe in him.
John 2:1-5, 7-9, 11

Mary says to Jesus that these people need a miracle. Jesus basically replies, “So? The Divine Plan says that I don’t begin yet.” To which Mary replies, “So? Change the plan.” And He did; in the very next sentence, Jesus is performing a miracle. Mary changed the Plan. I don’t recall any verses in which Moses or David (or anyone else in the entire bible) convinces God to change the plan.

In reference to the text in bold…

That statement would apply to all saints. Catholics also pray to St. Anthony, St. Peregrine, St. Monica, St. Augustine, St. Terese of Liseux, and literally thousands of saints.

Catholics call that “some kind of all knowing power” the Communion of Saints.

The Blessed Virgin Mary is the first among these saints.

Hi Jimmy B,

My goodness thats a beautiful picture of Mary and baby Jesus. I find it mesmerizing.

(I think I’ve seen somebody in the forums who use a part of that picture in their signature. It always captures my eye.)

Somebody please let me know if they have a bigger and better quality of that picture, because I’m going to print it off and decorate my house with it.

Gosh, Agnos - I thought you said that God gave you reason.
**If so, then you would know that it is the Christian belief (Catholic AND Protestant) that there is no time in heaven. Those in heaven are the “cloud of witnesses” spoken of in Hebrews 12:1. **
If those in heaven are not limited by the constraints of time, what would make you think that they couldn’t hear millions of petitions? That wouldn’t require omniscience.

To aid in your search, the painting is by William Bouguereau and the painting is called (in English) The Virgin of the Lilies or La Vierge au Lys in French.

ETA: here’s a pretty good version:

artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=1079&hires=1

On what parts do Catholics place Her and God on the same level?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.