Why is it?

Guys,

Everytime one tells me I’ve sinned or did whether venial or not, why does it that I feel angry and even sin more or tempted to? LIke I’ll think I have a good relationship with God and THINK I’m in a State of Grace but when I’ve sinned or one tells me, I am a “sheep that runs away from the flock”!

[quote=St. Clare]Guys,

Everytime one tells me I’ve sinned or did whether venial or not, why does it that I feel angry and even sin more or tempted to? LIke I’ll think I have a good relationship with God and THINK I’m in a State of Grace but when I’ve sinned or one tells me, I am a “sheep that runs away from the flock”!
[/quote]

And who is the “one” who is telling you that you have sinned and who is this other person who you give the right to judge you and your actions? If it isn’t your confessor, I can see how your natural pride and self-defense would kick in.

We should be able to take correction from others, but we shouldn’t let someone else constantly be the judge of our words and actions, as if we always had to answer to him/her. Talk to your priest about this problem and let him guide you not this other person, if that is what is happening here.

Also, if you have a well-formed conscience, one formed by the teachings of the Church, you will have a better idea of when you have sinned and when you haven’t.

[quote=Della]And who is the “one” who is telling you that you have sinned and who is this other person who you give the right to judge you and your actions? If it isn’t your confessor, I can see how your natural pride and self-defense would kick in.

[/quote]

darn good questtion. I can’t remember anyone ever telling me I have sinned (they may have but I can’t remember … convenient, uh?)

[quote=quasimodo]darn good questtion. I can’t remember anyone ever telling me I have sinned (they may have but I can’t remember … convenient, uh?)
[/quote]

You’re fortunate, then. I have someone in my life who is always gaging my words and actions by what she would have done in my place. Of course, she isn’t in my place nor do I have to live my life according to her standards. I have let her know this in no uncertain terms, but with love. So, I am hoping the situation is resolved. It just sounds to me like the OP is having the same sort of experience, and since having to deal with someone like that myself, the question seemed rather natural to ask. Or more likely, if I have read the OP’s question and situation correctly, it was the Holy Spirit’s prompting based on a similar situation God has allowed to happen to me, too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.