why is it?

Why is it that Christians believe humans are adopted children of God rather than children of God?

Where did you get that from?
Source?

Because that’s how the New Testament describes the relationship.

Jesus is the Son of God by nature. We share in His sonship through adoption by grace because we are not the same nature as God. He only has one Son.

That’s the 5 cent answer. I’m sure much more could be said and expounded upon.

My source was a priest on ewtn that said “we” are adopted children of God. The priest was fr. Leo Clifford and the show had to do with the “Our Father” and the show was "Reflections with Fr. Leo Clifford. I have heard this several times over the years at different times on ewtn and decided to ask why.
Thank you all for your input-appreciated.

When Paul wrote to us in Rome, he explained to us the meaning of “That which is born of flesh is flesh, that which is born of Spirit is Spirit.”

Romans 8:
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

An adopted son IS a son of his Father, and especially so when his Father infuses him with his own Nature (the Holy Spirit that Jesus breathed into us after his resurrection in the upper room and filled us with when we were gathered on the Day of Pentecost and when the Apostolic Messenger laid hands on us).

Trent horn addressed a similar topic on an episode of Catholic Answers Live a couple weeks ago that you may find interesting. The question was:

“Why do we as Catholics get baptized? I know that we become children of God. Does that mean that those who are not baptized are not children of God?”

Here is a link to the audio for the show. The question is at 43:14 into the show in case you want to fast forward to just that question, or you can scroll down and click on the question and it will take you right there:

catholic.com/audio/cal/8017

AveOTheotokos: Thank you very much for the link to the audio. Yes I found it interesting and applicable to my question.
John Martin: Thank you for your input, especially the reference to Romans 8:15 and highlighting so that it was harder for me to gloss over :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.