Why is Jesus always shown with long hair?

Hello everyone,
Can anybody tell me why Jesus is always shown with shoulder length hair?.I read somewhere that He might have had a crew-cut style,can someone please offer an explanation?.I ask this with total respect as it has puzzled me for a long while,
God Bless,

Mick.

p.s. I apologise if this question has been asked before but I have not seen it anywhere.

It may have something to do with the Shroud of Turin image.

Hello,
I never thought of that!, thanks for your quick reply.
kind regards,
Mick.

It does seem that Jews of the first century had longish hair.

Of course, what’s “long” in one culture is not necessarilyi long in another.

Remember when the Beatles first appeared? Everyone talke about their decadent long hair–yet that’s considered a normal length today.

Because long hair is cool.

Jesus is shown with long hair probably there weren’t the kind of barbers that didn’t cut hair back then.

It would be like the hair the mwn wore in the Haight-Ashbury area in San Francisco in the late 60s. You would have to wonder if Jesus would fit in there at that time.:smiley:

I heard somewhere that Jesus may have been a nazarite who didn’t cut their hair. I can’t back that up its just something I heard once.

Nazarites don’t drink wine, as Jesus did. :wink:

The ultimate truth is that we’ll never know, probably for good reason, how Jesus looked like, until we see him in his heavenly glory. But for reasons already posted in this thread, there’s good reason to believe the shoulder-length hair ideal.

The only description we have of Jesus is found in Revelations:

2 And I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks: 13 And in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks, one like to the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the feet, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14 And his head and his hairs were white, as white wool, and as snow, and his eyes were as a flame of fire, 15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as in a burning furnace. And his voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And he had in his right hand seven stars. And from his mouth came out a sharp two edged sword: and his face was as the sun shineth in his power. 17 And when I had seen him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying: Fear not. I am the First and the Last,

Ahh, you know if I’d thought about it I’d have realized that. Good call.

In one of his letters to the Corinthians, Paul said that men shouldn’t have long hair. Or was it about covering the head? Now I can’t remember. I do remember that he said that women should have long hair. Maybe it was a little of both.:shrug:

[quote=Nita]It may have something to do with the Shroud of Turin image
[/quote]

and/or the Image of Edessa (aka the Holy Mandylion). According to tradition, this was was a holy relic consisting of a square or rectangle of cloth upon which a miraculous image of the face of Jesus was imprinted.

BTW, a question along the same lines as “Why is Jesus always shown with long hair?” is, “Why do all portraits/icons of Mary look nearly alike?” The answer to this is, undoubtedly, traceable to St. Luke the Evangelist. St. Luke is the patron saint of (among other things) artists, at least in part because St. John of Damascus (7th-8th century) identified him as having painted the Virgin Mary’s portrait. (Tradition holds that St. Luke painted it on the top of a cypress-wood table that came from the home of the Holy Family. At the request of the faithful, Mary sat for the portrait. When it was finished, she was pleased, saying that “My grace shall accompany it.”)

Because he was a Jew and it was a public statement for Jewish men in that region to have long hair. However, in other areas of the empire (such as Rome or Egypt), many Jews cut their hair (not all of them) and took on the cultural characteristics of wherever they were. More importantly, however, whether the hair was long or short didn’t matter as much as circumcision.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.