Why is Jesus called The Word?

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word: the Word was with God and the Word was God.

Is there some special meaning?

How is this translated from Greek?

Thanks.

“Word” is translated from the Greek “logos”. Jesus Christ, as the 2nd person of the Trinity, is eternally begotten from the Father, as His Word, or knowledge. I’ve heard this popularly described in this way: The Father’s knowledge of Himself is so perfect that it eternally calls forth another Person and those two persons (Father and Son) love each other so perfectly that they call forth a third Person, the Holy Spirit.

Here also is an interesting paragraph about the Word, from the Catechism:

102 Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely:
You recall that one and the same Word of God extends throughout Scripture, that it is one and the same Utterance that resounds in the mouths of all the sacred writers, since he who was in the beginning God with God has no need of separate syllables; for he is not subject to time. (attributed to St. Augustine)

I’m a fan of this answer,

"But still we should ask, Why did he choose to call Jesus “the Word”? “In the beginning was the Word.” My answer to that question is this: John calls Jesus the Word because he had come to see the words of Jesus as the truth of God and the person of Jesus as the truth of God in such a unified way that Jesus himself—in his coming, and working, and teaching, and dying and rising—was the final and decisive Message of God. Or to put it more simply: What God had to say to us was not only or mainly what Jesus said, but who Jesus was and what he did. His words clarified himself and his work. But his self and his work were the main truth God was revealing. “I am the truth,” Jesus said (John 14:6).

He came to witness to the truth (John 18:37) and he was the truth (John 14:6). His witness and his person were the Word of truth. He said, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples” (John 8:31), and he said, “Abide in me” (John 15:7). When we abide in him we are abiding in the Word. He said that his works were a “witness” about him (John 5:36; 10:25). In other words, in his working he was the Word."

desiringgod.org/sermons/in-the-beginning-was-the-word

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.