Why is Mary called Queen of the Apostles?

There is a book which is pre V2, written by John Ferraro, called 10 Meditations on the Mystery of the Rosary. (it has the imprimatur) In it, among other things which are rather hair raising to Protestants like me who are thinking of converting, is this:

*Mary, Queen of the Apostles: She is queen of apostles because she formed them and directed them in their preaching. Mary is Queen of Apostles because by herself she routed all the heresies. Mary is Queen of Apostles because she is mother of grace and channel of mercy. She is Queen of Apostles because in her every hope is life and virtue. She is Queen of Apostles because she is conqueror of the Infernal Dragon.

How are all these claims made? It’s things like this that send Protestants running away screaming heresy and pointing fingers. :eek:

Pre or Post Vatican II matters not. Mary’s queenship is well established in Scripture and Tradition.

ewtn.com/faith/teachings/marya6.htm

vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_11101954_ad-caeli-reginam_en.html

Mary’s title Regina Caeli (Queen of Heaven) is an ancient title. The title Queen of the Apostles is in the Litany of Loreto dating from the twelfth century.

The biblical roots of this title and the iconographic theme are from Acts 1:13-14 showing Mary in the midst of the apostles.

Jennie-

In the Davidic kingdom, the Queen was not a wife of the king (since they had lots of them), but his mother.

Since Jesus inherited the throne of his father, David, Jesus is our king (cf. Lk 1:32), and Mary, His mother is our Queen.

Oh, and Peter is His Royal Steward who holds the keys (cf. Mt 16:18-19, Is. 22:20-22).

Mary is Queen of the Apostles by virtue of her being the mother of the King, whose authority they carry.

However, that said, I’ve always disliked those flowery descriptions of our Lady on devotionals like that. In the order of the Church, it’s the Apostles who bore the authority to teach; they were the Church’s magisterium and as such, they were the ones doing the directing, not our Lady.

Hi, Jennie. Thank you so much for your question. Actually, the scariest part of Marian doctrine (the Immaculate Conception, the Assumption of Mary, her queenship, and her intercessory power etc.) is just how much God wants to share His glory with humanity. It is a powerful testimony to just how awesome and powerful someone becomes (through Christ, of course) when they say yes to God and give their whole lives to him. Certainly, if God will not honor the woman who gave her entire body and life to cooperate with Him to bring salvation to the world, what chance to do we sinners have of any prize? Mary shows us just how exciting and glorious a life given totally to Christ can be. It shows us just how generous God is with His glory. Mary is just a human that God has chosen to share His glory with. God will deny nothing to a soul who holds nothing back from Him.

It might help if you get Tim Staples recent book on Mary and also hear the radio podcast of his recent appearance on Catholic Answers. It’s on iTunes but you can find it on here.

Jennie, These links may help:

www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/calendar/day.cfm?date=2014-05-19

www.catholictradition.org/Mary/mother-savior17b.htm

Hail, Holy Queen by Dr. Scott Hahn will be very helpful to you.

Tim Staples on the Immaculate Conception
youtube.com/watch?v=kuDFAisSEcI

God bless you! In Christ, Shannon

Mary is Queen of Heaven and Earth. That makes her Queen of everything on the earth, including the Apostles.

The king’s mother was always the queen. Jesus is King of all creation. Mary is his Queen.

-Tim-

The biblical support for Mary as Queen of heaven comes from 1 Kings 2:12-25. Solomon has his mother, Bathsheeba, sit at his right hand. Solomon is said to be the wisest man that ever lived and making his mother queen proves it to me. Solomon had something like 1000 wives and concubines. Imagine the cat fight that would bound to occur over who was queen. But while Solomon had 1000 wives and concubines he had only one mother. By making his mother queen the catfight never happens. Wise indeed!!!

:clapping:

The mother of the king…

*So King Rehobo’am established himself in Jerusalem and reigned. Rehobo’am was forty-one years old when he began to reign, and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city which the LORD had chosen out of all the tribes of Israel to put his name there. His mother’s name was Na’amah the Ammonitess. (2 Chronicles 12:13)

In the eighteenth year of King Jerobo’am Abi’jah began to reign over Judah. He reigned for three years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Micai’ah the daughter of U’riel of Gib’e-ah. (2 Chronicles 13:1)

Thus Jehosh’aphat reigned over Judah. He was thirty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Azu’bah the daughter of Shilhi. (2 Chronicles 20:31)

Ahazi’ah was forty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athali’ah, the granddaughter of Omri. (2 Chronicles 22:2)

Jo’ash was seven years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years in Jerusalem; his mother’s name was Zib’iah of Beer-sheba. (2 Chronicles 24:1)

Amazi’ah was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jeho-ad’dan of Jerusalem. (2 Chronicles 25:1)

Uzzi’ah was sixteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty-two years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jecoli’ah of Jerusalem. (2 Chronicles 26:3)

Jotham was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned sixteen years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jeru’shah the daughter of Zadok. (2 Chronicles 27:1)*

The Bible goes on and on like this, twenty nine times last time I counted, telling us the name of the king’s mother. This isn’t trivia. We know something is important when God repeats something once or twice. Here God tells us about the mother of the king over and over and over…

-Tim-

Cool! Thank you everyone. I knew there must be a reasonable explanation somewhere. I had just told a bunch of my evangelical, fundamentalist friends that I was probably going to become Catholic and they started clubbing me with “evidence” as to why I shouldn’t. Most of it I was able to fend off, but this particular piece I was having trouble with.

My mind is now at rest. Praise God, and thanks to you folks!

Jennie, welcome home!

Jennie-

Every time you have a question or an issue that troubles you, post it in a thread.

We’ve all had them, and we have Catholic Answers for you. :thumbsup:

I have been wondering what the fact that the book was published before the Second Vatican Council has to do with anything.

-Tim-

Mary’s queenship actually has roots in Scripture.
Hope this helps.
She has pointed out the Scriptural basis for the Mary’s title “Queen of Heaven”

TimothyH, I think perhaps that the old flowery language of those preV2 writings seems to really aggravate Protestants a lot. When I listen to or read modern day apologists like Hahn,or Staples, etc. their language use is more modern and practical which seems to help me accept what they say more easily. I don’t know why that is though. They seem less like they are off in the Twilight Zone somewhere. Lol.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.