Why is Mary the East Gate?

I understand that the East Gate remaining shut is about her perpetual virginity but is there a connection between her and the East Gate name?

I know Mary has many names, where does this name come from?

Thanks.

Have never heard that said, so can only speculate as to why.
I’ll let this one pass. :wink:

Ezekiel 44.

Then he brought me back to the outer gate of the sanctuary, which faces east; and it was shut. And he said to me, “This gate shall remain shut; it shall not be opened, and no one shall enter by it; for the LORD, the God of Israel, has entered by it; therefore it shall remain shut. Only the prince may sit in it to eat bread before the LORD; he shall enter by way of the vestibule of the gate, and shall go out by the same way.”

The Ezekiel quote is the major reason.

But of course, Mary is associated with the dawn (because she experienced Christ’s salvation in her life before the Cross had even happened, and because she’s a sign that humanity is being made new).

Also, the Bible tells us (in the OT prophets, mostly) that Christ’s Second Coming will come from the east, and the traditional Christian direction of prayer and burial is toward the east. So Mary is associated with the east because she’s associated with Christ, the Sun of Justice.

Seems interesting.

The literal East Gate into the city of Jerusalem has been sealed shut for about 400 years. A muslim cemetery blocks the entrance and no jew would defile themselves by walking through it to enter through this gate.

Prophecy states that when Christ returns he will open the gate and enter through it as he did 2000 years ago.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.