Why is Mary worshipped?

32A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you.“
33"Who are my mother and my brothers?” he asked.

34Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”

Where in that quote do you see that Mary is worshipped? And who told you that? Perhaps this should be moved to the Non-Catholic Religions forum?

Hello! Welcome to the forums! :wave:

Did someone tell you that Catholics worship Mary? That is not true. Before I became Catholic I heard of alot of things that Catholics did & believed that were not true. This is a good place for you to learn what we actually believe. :thumbsup:

God Bless,
CM

Amen!!!

Of course, Mary did God’s Will most perfectly of all people.

Jesus wasn’t dismissing his mother–he was holding her up as an example to follow!!

How about you? God calls us to honor our parents. Jesus does this most perfectly in his love for his mother. Do you honor his mother, too?

I didn’t know Catholics worship Mary? Did someone forget to send me the memo.

God Bless,
Michael

Okay, this is going to be fun:) .

Well, BTW, my extended family is Catholic however my mother strayed due to hurts she believed was caused by her “religion”. So here I am trying to make sense of it all.

Back to the subject. The reason I believe that Catholics worship Mary is because of the word Worship. Worship comes from the Latin/Greek Wor. Wor means to Worth. To put your worth into something. In other words the Lord gave me this revelation. Picture that you have all of your worth in a bag of Gold. If you place all of your worth on something other than God himself … such as on His creation then your are worshipping an idol.

Mary seems to be exhalted in what I see of the Catholic Religion… I mean I see pictures of Mary or “Mother of Grace” etc more than I see Jesus himself. Which of cours everyone loves Mary, who wouldn’t. But when she herself had denied Jesus. Why is she so holy? I just feel that she has become an idol. I feel that Catholics may be a little mislead. Trust me I really just want to know the TRUTH (Jesus is the Truth), as we all do, and these are just questions I had. Thanks for your replies!

you are judging by what you have seen in some places, not by what the Church actually teaches and practices. Is there a picture on the money in your wallet? does that mean people who use that money worship those dead presidents? Is there a war memorial on the grounds of city hall in your town. Does that mean the residents worship the soldiers recognized there?

We have told you many times on this forum, and you can check out articles on the topic on the CA homepage. YOu choose to call us liars, to get inside our heads and you presume to know what is in our hearts in the way we pray, knowledge that belongs to God alone. That is arrogant and presumptuous, for one thing, and plain bad manners.

Where do you see in the bible that Mary denied Jesus, as you state above? read the gosple canticle the Magnificat, in fact the first two chapters of Luke’s gospel for a description of Mary’s words and actions and her total submission to God’s will.

christ is lord
New Member Join Date: December 29, 2006

Re: Why is Mary worshipped?

Okay, this is going to be fun .

Tee-hee!:rotfl:

He don’t know us very well, do he? :smiley:

This is a bit catty, you shouldn’t be this way. I think the OP is being geniune.

You are completely wrong. We Catholics do NOT worship Mary. That would be a sin against the first commandment.
We get so many of these, quite frankly, stupid threads with non-Catholics trying to tell us what we believe. We know better than you what we believe and we certainly do NOT worship Mary.
GOT IT???

OP, I apologize for some of the catty remarks that some of the other posters have made here. It is not right for them to do this. If you are interested in learning about the Catholic teachings on Marian devotion, I suggest that you start by reading this article:
catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9405fea2sb.asp

If you go to the CA Home page, and do a search for “Mary,” you will be given a whole list of articles about Catholic teachings about Mary and her role in our lives and in our Church.

I would suggest that you begin by reading some of these, and then come back and ask any questions if you need clarification, or want to discuss any points in particular.

I hope this helps.:slight_smile:

I suggest we cut Christ Is Lord a little slack here. It’s obvious he (she?) is new.

I certainly hope so, and welcome to the forum!

Well, BTW, my extended family is Catholic however my mother strayed due to hurts she believed was caused by her “religion”. So here I am trying to make sense of it all.

That’s fine.

Back to the subject. The reason I believe that Catholics worship Mary is because of the word Worship. Worship comes from the Latin/Greek Wor. Wor means to Worth. To put your worth into something. In other words the Lord gave me this revelation. Picture that you have all of your worth in a bag of Gold. If you place all of your worth on something other than God himself … such as on His creation then your are worshipping an idol.

I don’t see how this applies to Catholics, since we don’t do this with Mary. This is part of a prayer we say at Mass:

For you alone are the Holy One,
You alone are the Lord.
You alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ,
With the Holy Spirit in the glory of God the Father.

Does that sound like we’re worshipping Mary?

BTW, the fact that we deny worshipping Mary should prove that we don’t. Would you deny worshipping God? I mean, wouldn’t you be afraid of incurring His divine wrath if you did? Well, we don’t worship Mary. We honor her, just like Jesus did (after all Jesus fulfilled the law, and part of the law is “Honor thy Father and thy Mother.”)

Mary seems to be exhalted in what I see of the Catholic Religion… I mean I see pictures of Mary or “Mother of Grace” etc more than I see Jesus himself.

If you came to my house, you would see more pictures of Jesus. But what does more pictures of Mary prove?

Which of cours everyone loves Mary, who wouldn’t. But when she herself had denied Jesus.

This last sentence I really must take exception to. Where in the world do you get this idea?

Why is she so holy?

Because she said “yes” to God.

I just feel that she has become an idol. I feel that Catholics may be a little mislead.

Well, as I pointed out above, you’re mistaken in what Catholics believe about Mary.

Trust me I really just want to know the TRUTH (Jesus is the Truth), as we all do, and these are just questions I had.

Then I’m glad you posted here! We all want to know the truth because, as you said, Jesus is the Truth!

Thanks for your replies!

You’re quite welcome, and I hope you stick around!

The Catholic Church teaches that Mary is not worship in the same sense as worshipping God. The Catholic Church worship God alone. In the same light, the Catholic Church venerate and honor Mary. We ask her to “pray for us.”

Mary is a creature who throughout her life is devoted to God, and accepted to be the Mother of God, Jesus.

Protestants need to understand that we do not worship Mary, and such claims or false assumptions is not the fact.

I think it is ok to be a bit skeptical of OP when their first post is about Mary while there are umpteen other Mary threads floating out there.

If OP is genuine, he/she should understand a little bit of frusterations given that this is one of those famous hit and run subjects. Hopefully, she/he can weather out criticisms of him/her by sticking it out and learning.

You can be skeptical but you shouldn’t be catty. We need to try and assume good will. You have to remember younger people come on here who may not be aware of those famous “hit and run” subjects. He/She is asking a question, just answer it and see what happens from there.

Only in America is the Catholic Church criticised so much for “worshipping Mary.”

We only worship God. Mary is not God. Protestants will stretch it and lie about it. That’s how Americans are. They point and click, criticising without really taking time to understand it. That’s why the Catholic Church is attacked so.

One thing you must know is that the truth is, most of the world’s Christians venerate Mary the same way we do. Most put images of her in their churches and pray to her.

The 1.1 billion Catholics do it. The 300 million Eastern Orthodox do it. There are many millions more who are of other Orthodox Churches, like the Copts, who do it.

Add that all up, and they’ll outnumber all protestants combined.

So most Christians do. American protestants will make it like the Catholic Church is the weirdo in the group, but as we can see clearly just by the sheer numbers, American protestantism is the freakshow.

It’s a mix of anti-Catholicism and Americentrism here that causes that. If you visit other countries, you’ll see that they agree and resent America for it.

however, that many Catholics exaggerate the importance of Mary and tend to display symptoms of idolatry. But, because some of those people include very high-ranking clergymen, critics of that tendency in Catholicism are suppressed. Mary-worship epitomizes the way in which many Catholics get ‘lost’ in the complicated, rich heritage and theology of the Catholic religion. They get disoriented in the ‘fog’ of 2,000 years of history, creeds, saints, popes, dogmas, doctrines, etc., etc., and lose sight of Jesus, the center and essence of it all. :frowning:

All worship in the OT involved sacrfices. The only sacrifices I see in the Catholic Church is the Body of Jesus offered up to God the Father, just as Jesus commanded us at the Last Supper “Do this in Memory of Me”.

I don’t recall seeing any sacrifices offered up to Mary.

I don’t see how any veneration towards Mary could possibly lead you away from Jesus Christ.

She is a shining pathway to Him.

Maybe they believe in some other female and worship this female as a deity? It can’t be Mary. She was an example of 100% submission to God, 100% love of God, 100% unity with God.

Mary is our example of how to be human. She is not a supernatural entity that we worship. Just like a basketball player will study Michael Jordan, post pictures on the walls, read what Jordan has to say, etc, so do we try to learn about Mary and be like Mary.

Leonie is right. Jesus wasn’t dismissing Mary.

Jesus was a devout Jew, correct? And isn’t it in the Jewish law to honour one’s parents? Dismissing Mary would be breaking that important rule.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.