Why is prayer to st. michael not prayed after Mass?

It couldn’t hurt to reintroduce the practice!

Its recited at the end of the low mass in various areas. Its printed on the back of the missal here. I’ve recited it here in mass a few times in the past year or two.

We recite it after daily mass during the week at my parish. The priest leads it. Been doing so for at least 10 years.

Glad to hear this! I’ve never heard it prayed at masses I’ve attended.;

I, too, am curious about this. Wasn’t it “ordered by the Pope”? Or at least that’s what it says in the missal!

(There was a thread on this a few years ago with some great insight. The most insight and historical one was this)

"The Leonine Prayers were meant to be recited after Low Mass for various specific intentions, originally the defence of the temporal sovereignty of the Holy See. Actually, even before Leo XIII, Pius IX had requested that three Hail Marys and a Salve Regina be recited after Low Mass, but only within the boundaries of the Papal States.

Pope Pius XI, following the Lateran Treaty of 1929, decided that the Leonine Prayers would be offered for a new intention: “the restoration to the afflicted people of Russia of the tranquility and freedom to profess the Catholic faith.” That was (and still is) frequently misinterpreted as a “Prayer for the Conversion of Russia”.

The final form of the Leonine Prayers consisted of three Hail Marys, a Salve Regina (followed by a versicle and response), a prayer for the conversion of sinners and the liberty and exaltation of Holy Mother Church, followed by the prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel. Pope Pius X allowed the addition of the invocation “Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us”, repeated three times.

The fulfillment of the declared purposes of these prayers–the securing of the temporal sovereignty of the Holy See and the freedom of Catholics in Russia to follow their consciences–has rendered the custom outdated, for one thing. More importantly, however, they were not meant to be recited after public Masses, only private Masses. Some say after “Low Masses”. The ordinary form of Mass, however, knows no level of celebration described as “Low Mass”.

At celebrations of the Tridentine Low Mass (the Extraordinary Form of Mass) the prayers are often said, but wrongly. They were officially suppressed by the Holy See in 1965.

Quote:
There was a time not long ago that right after the dismissal, the church would erupt into a bunch of chattering and noise. Several of us led by an elderly lady would kneel and begin saying the Leonine prayers. Eventually folks became quieter and left church much more reverently. After the grand old lady passed on our little group has continued this practice.
It isn’t permitted to the laity to publicly lead the suppressed Leonine Prayers, in church, after Mass, when the pastor will not (because he may not). Additionally, there are those of us who remain after Mass to make prayers, meditations, or devotions who would be distracted and annoyed by the practice of a group of the laity imposing their prayer, out loud, upon everybody else.

For 45 years the Leonine Prayers have not been with us. They served their purpose at the time they were in vogue. They no longer have a purpose, today. There is no need to restore them.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=504119&page=2

I say it myself at the end of each Mass usually when the priest is reading from the notices. I wish they had it at my church after every Mass. I wonder how many people would need to have it written down?

Little different with Leonine Prayers

ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=417795

“I would note that once the liturgical procession has concluded, such prayers could be recited by the congregation, as we do here with the St. Michael’s Prayer – responding to the request of the Holy Father that Catholics recite this prayer more frequently.”

Our parish says it after every Mass; after the final blessing and before the recessional hymn.

Is someone/something preventing you saying it?
I cannot say I have encountered such resistance myself?

:irish2:
tee

Our priest has us recite it after the prayer of the faithful.

I say it privately after every Mass.

Same here.

-Tim-

The flaw in this line of thinking is that the Leonine prayers could be said for another intention, just as the intention of praying for freedom of conscience for Russian Catholics was added to their original intention. If anything, in our increasingly Godless, Catholic bashing culture, these prayers are needed now more than ever.

Secondly, the suppression (historically) had more to do with the reforms following the Council (most of which were not called for by the Council) than to do with the fulfilling of the original intentions of the prayers. In the late Sixties, any mention of Satan (as a real, existing, fallen angelic being), demons, and Hell were shuffled off stage as a spirit of universalism crept into the minds of most Catholics (of course the Holy Spirit prevents any such creeping into the Magisterial teaching of the Church).

St. Michael, defend us in battle…

I wanted my pastor to add this after Mass, but we say another prayer after Mass and have for 20 years. Instead, he decided that we would add the Saint Michael prayer after the Rosary said before Mass.

I think the prayer we say directly after Mass could be said after Communion with the Anima Christi prayer and then the Saint Michael after Mass, since not everyone arrives in time for the prayer after the Rosary.

Other parishes in my diocese I’ve visited do say it after Mass, which is nice. Or they say it BEFORE Mass with other prayers.

If you want it said after Mass, write your Bishop. Maybe the Bishop could suggest it be done…if it hadn’t been removed, I honestly believe Abortion would NEVER have been legalized!

Pope Paul VI did away with it.

It is now up to the folks in the pews to make it happen.

At one of the parishes I visit, its recited at the end of every Mass. They have it pasted inside the cover of every hymnal.

Most of the parishes in my diocese have a Rosary said before or after Mass. At the end of the Rosary some prayers are said, and the St. Michael prayer is one of them.

We say it at our parish at end of every Mass. There are other Catholic Churches in our city where they say it after masses as well. I even pray it before I retire for the night. I also have a statue of St Michael in my bed room.:slight_smile:

(Just have to say I love the Stations animation you have!!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.