why is sunday instead of saturday the sabboth?

I am curious why sunday rather than saturday is considered the sabboth. My girlfriend believes people celebrate the sabboth in error and that it really should be friday night to saturday night like it was in old testament.

the only biblical evidence I can find is:

“on the first day of the week the disciples came together to break bread.” Acts 20:7

“on the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper.” In 1 Corinthians 16:2

This is really very little if any evidence justifying sunday as being the sabboth. This just alludes to them breaking bread on sunday and to lay something aside. It really doesn’t tell us to change the sabboth day from saturday to sunday anywhere and does not make this clear at all.

Maybe the disciples kept the sabboth but in addition did this on sunday as well?

catholic.com/library/sabbath_or_sunday.asp

This might help.

At first the disciples, who were all Jews, continued to go to the temple on the sabbath and gathered as Christians on the following day. As more gentiles entered the church the issue needed to be addressed, whether Christians needed to follow the Jewish ritual laws. Christians celebrated the Lord’s day on Sunday, since that’s when Jesus rose (the work of redemption was completed). I haven’t read anything that says that non- Jewish Christians ever observed the Saturday sabbath.

This is also somewhat a matter of calendars. Spanish calendars show Monday as the first day of the week and Sunday as the seventh day. I suspect even today in America we have a sense that Monday is the first day of the week. Sunday is the end of the weekend, the end of the week.

For us, as Catholics, the fact that the early church under the apostles and guided by the Holy Spirit began to observe Sunday instead as Saturday as its sabbath should be enough proof that it is approved by God. The apostles wouldn’t have allowed this otherwise. Those who cling to the celebration of the Lord’s day on the Saturday sabbath would have to admit that the apostles who were appointed by Jesus and guided by the Holy Spirit were wrong about this.

Originally the Christian church was made up of Jews who had become Christians. Then, later, as more Gentiles entered the church, it became much less Jewish and much more Gentile.

The church changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday because they wanted to recognize the break from Judaism, and also because they wanted to shift to a recognition of Jesus supposedly rising on the first day of the week.

BTW a Seventh-Day Adventist once pointed something out to me, that I as a religious Jew never noticed:

The 4th commandment (to honor the Sabbath) is the ONLY one of the Aseret ha’Dibrot (Ten Commandments) which basically names the God who gave the Law.

It speaks of the God who “created the world in six days and rested on the seventh”.

This SDA felt that that is why Satan wanted to persuade the Christian world to switch to Sunday…as a way of taking honor away from the One God.

I have to say, as a Jew, that argument made a lot of sense to me (another example of how I learn from other religious traditions sometimes!)

Sabbath is Saturday or no sabbath at all. The website adress given above is only to justify something wrong by different opinions. Perhaps the lord did not know his day and did not observe it. Jesus observed the sabbath on Saturday only in the right spirit. His close friends did the same, all of them. Now to present the case of just one or two fellows and create difference has no meaning.

Did you actually read the article?

Sunday is not the Sabbath. Saturday is the Sabbath. Sunday is the Lord’s Day, established as such by Christ Himself in his rising from the dead on Sunday, and commemorated by the Church as such ever since. If some denomination claiming to be Christian thinks they know better than Christ Himself in putting some other day higher than his resurrection day, it does cast doubt on their sincerity, knowledge and orthodoxy.

As Christians, we believe that Jesus, who we recognize as Son of God, finished his work of redemption on Sunday. So to celebrate the Lord’s day on that day is just to give even greater honor to God, not only for creation but also for sending his son to save us from our sins.

Of course, as one who doesn’t believe Jesus was sent from God, it’s reasonable that the SDA argument makes sense to you. However, the SDA’s are Christian so other Christians don’t accept this argument as reasonable from them, since it denies that the Holy Spirit guided the early church. To deny that is basically to deny Christianity.

Agreed, Saturday is the Sabbath, the “close” of the old creation, Sunday is the Eschatological “First Day” of the New Creation. Sunday has not supplanted Saturday as the Sabbath, Saturday remains the Sabbath.

Christ is now our Sabbath Rest. He is the Sabbath Rest prefigured.

Yes, I used to do and will do even now. I read in bible NT (gospels) that Jesus was observing the Sabbath, in a better way. Not in a blind way. What do you want to teach me about sabbath please?

Sorry, I may misunderstood you. I tried to read the article. It was too long. There was no need to read it all. The proof of something was being given. But my point is that we cannot invent the religion. And that is what was being done in that article. That is not fair.

Moreover, it was too difficult (complicated) for me to follow. It was extra to bible so I did not give it much importance in the very important matter of the sabbath.

Christs resurrection (and his suffering for our sins just prior) trumps the creation as the most important event in the history of the world.

The move from the last day of the week to the first day has some symbolic value as well.

Frankly I don’t think God cares all that much which day it is when we go to church.

Some European calendars place Sunday as the seventh day and Monday as the first day of the week.

Publisher is correct in what he says above. Saturday is the Sabbath. As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), in the process of joining the Catholic Church, this was the biggest issue I needed to resolve in order to change. I believed the truth of the Eucharist first…and then what do I do? I just finished talking about some of these Sabbath issues in another post regarding the Amazing Facts ministry of the SDA church, so as to save space and not repeat myself, if you care to read what I wrote there, just do a search for “posts” by “Patrick Murebil” and feel free to comment.

I would only add these two thoughts here since I went into greater detail on the Amazing Facts posting.

1. Exodus 20: 8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Exodus 31:12 Then the LORD said to Moses, 13 "Say to the Israelites, 'You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. 14 " ‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; whoever does any work on that day must be cut off from his people. 15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.’ " 18 When the LORD finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the Testimony, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

This is part of the Old covenant between God and Moses and the Hebrews, received on Mt. Sinai. The sabbath was the sign of the covenant, revealing God as the Creator. It was a memorial of God’s creative work in Genesis before the fall of man, and for the Hebrews to remember that God is the Creator, and that this covenat was to restore man back his original relationship with God before sin entered the world. That day was what we now call Saturday, the Jewish religion has maintained that tradition for thousands of years.

See (con’t) 2

(con’t) 2

1. Mark 14:22While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.” 23Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and they all drank from it. 24"This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them. 25"I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it anew in the kingdom of God."

Luke 22:19And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 20In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

As you see here Jesus is talking about the new covenant, the fulfillment in Him of all that the scriptures pointed to. And he commands us to do this in rememberance of him…again that “remember” which God always asks those to do who enter into covenant with Him. In the new covenant, the Eucharist is the sign of creation between God and His people. It is now the memorial of God’s people as a sign of His creation…His new creation…The Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world. The new creation of eternal life promised to us in the sacrificed Lamb of God and Risen Lord. The promise of salvation to all who enter into this new covenant with the Savior and High Priest Jesus.

The Bible tells us that Jesus rose on the first day of the week, which we all know as Easter Sunday through the preservation of that tradition by the Christian Church. It does not break God’s law to remember the sign of the new covenant, the Eucharist, on Sunday rather than on Saturday. And if you remember Jesus told his accusers that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. The day of worship is no longer the sign of the covenant to remember…the Eucharist is. The sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus and the eternal life He gives us through the new covenant…the better covenant! It is Jesus sacrifice, resurrection, and ministry as our High Priest now that enables us to enter God’s rest…which is to be restored to the original relationship man had with God before sin entered the world (see Hebrews chapter 4 and Genesis chapters 1 and 1). God bless!!

We believe Barnabas was one of the prophets of the early Christian community! (You should read the Acts of the Apostles)

The medieval forgery of a Muslim falsely attributed to Barnabas can by no means change the biblical fact that Barnabas was indeed a prophet sent by Christ to preach His Gospel and that he knew nothing about Islam except for Jesus’ prediction that many false prophets would try to abuse His name to lead some Christians astray.

At Jesus’ time, the Lord’s day as mentioned in the Revelation is not established yet. The promised salvation of God has not happened yet. But, Christianity has existed beginning from the 12 apostles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.