Why is swearing sinful?

… and that’s my question.

This is what I figure: It is a sin because it urts (offends) someone else.

Is this correct?

Also: Would it be a sin if you swore quoting someone or something (like a tv show)?

I was taught that every sin we commit affects the entire Church. So that’s where I get my reasoning.

Thanks for any answers. :slight_smile:

If it’s only a sin because it *might *offend someone, then it would seem that it would be completely without warrant around certain someones, especially people who themselves do it. I have quite a few friends and co-workers and such who aren’t offended by such.

I, personally, am more concerned with how swearing makes **me **look to other people regardless of whether it offends or not.

But this a reflection from someone with a loose tongue. :o

I think swearing is especially harmful, when used as an expression of anger toward another person; when this is done… it is sinful and dangerous.

The words of Our Lord, are pretty clear.

“But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raqa’, will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, ‘You fool’, will be liable to fiery Gehenna.” (Matthew 5:22)

To my way of thinking, it’s a sin because it’s a misuse of language. The proper use of language is to communicate truthful ideas as clearly as possible.

Swearing, even when not taking the Lord’s name in vain, is the misuse of language in that words that have particular meanings are used as nonsense sounds to express various emotions. The fact that the words themselves are vulgar only compounds the problem.

But to use the Lord’s name as a nonsense sound to express anger, etc., is the worst possible abuse of language, and I can’t think of a worse insult to the Lord Himself, than to use His name in such a manner.

I tend to think more as the last poster does. God gives us the gift of language so that we can use it for His glory - and it noway nohow glorifies Him to use it even in a vulgar manner that demeans ourselves by making us sound coarse and ignorant, let alone whether it offends others or God by being blasphemy.

Presbyteress Frederica said on this very subject that there really are no “dirty” words: how can sounds and syllables be “dirty”?

What makes them dirty is the anger and hatred (including the intention to shock or embarass others) with which they are said, not the words themselves.

She pointed out that a farmer could hardly afford to be coy about the digestive and reproductive functions of his livestock.

Remember how important actual words are - anytime you swear you are asking/praying to God to fulfill your words. If you think about it you will be apologizing to Him every time you swear. (That’s what I do. I’m often saying to Him, “No, I didn’t really mean to say that!”:o :eek: )

I remember always hearing when i was a kid growing up, " Thou Shall not take the name of the lord thy God in vain…That could be the sin…People like to swear for the shock value of it…that is why you hear so many children swear ,as they want to sound big, cool even…but it is actually so ignorant, we probably have all said a word or two in anger ,but the goal should be to quench it ,and stick with the English Dictionary.think how much healthier society would be without those certain swear words…more so when raising children…remember that old adage, kids say what they hear at home…You raised an interesting question here…so this was my take on it…Warmly, LynneMarie

I’m of the opinion that it depends on the context it is used. Obviously in anger and hatefulness, no one should swear under those conditions. And around people that one should be witnessing to, it’d be in their interest to not swear. But there times in communication that it is necessary to use the strength of swear words to convey a point that need such power to be used. Although, swearing should never be on a regular basis. Only when the situation calls for it.

Actually, that’s not true. If one gets a decent vocabulary of non-swear words, it’s very easy not to swear without loosing emphasis. If one feels the need to swear for emphasis then there is a problem with low self-concept and a need to realize one is a child of God (Who says not to swear).This low self-concept often also shows itself with the symptom of **treating other human beings without the respect and dignity they deserve.

I agree with many on here and will add this from Wiki and dictionary:

The original meaning of the adjective profane (Latin: “in front of”, “outside the temple”) referred to items not belonging to the church

from Latin profanare, from profanus
Date: 14th century 1 : to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : desecrate
From this you could summarize it is a social norm outside the church. Cuss words of the 1800’s sound almost cute to what you hear said now. Our social norm has drifted and continues to drift Example, who hasn’t heard the words about problem with erect### lasting more than blah blah in ads…freedom of speech?

And so many people don’t know how to talk without being profane now.:sad_bye:

When asking why something is sinful it’s not only important to think about the positive assertions (X is Y because Z) but to think of the negative (X is not A because B). That is to say we shouldn’t just worry, “why is this sinful?” but realize if something doesn’t fulfill God’s Will, then it’s not good.

To paraphrase Thomas Merton: it’s not good enough to avoid evil, you must actively seek good. Simply avoiding mortal sin doesn’t erase sin from your life and from your heart: there may still be venial sin rampant in your life, there may still be sin against virtue rampant in your heart. Therefore, seek His Will, don’t just try to stay out of trouble.

In Christ,
Stephen

So true!!!So true!!! :clapping: :yup:

I think brigid’s quote from Saint Therese offers a great answer to this question. :slight_smile:

In His Love,
Stephen

:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.