Why is the 3rd level of Biblical meaning Ignored?

When I was in Bible school I was taught about 2 levels to biblical meaning. I later found 3. Why is the third level not taught in Sunday School?

For example in Matthew 2:11 “On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.”

The first layer is the literal. The second layer is allegorical. Gold representing Jesus kingship, frankincense for his priesthood, and myrrh for his anointing oil. So why is the third layer ignored in Sunday School. Gold symbolic of the kingship of self mastery, the turning of the soul of lead to the soul of gold, the philosophers stone. The frankincense symbolic of the transcendence of the cycle of life and death. And myrrh symbolic of his ascension to god.

Three only?

Where’s the fourth?

The four levels of Biblical interpretation are the literal, allegorical, moral, and anagogical.

The first, the Bible; the second, the Talmud; the third, the gemorah; the forth, the kabbalah.

At least in Jewish traditions, what about Christian traditions?

Probabaly because it is more in the realm of subjective interpretation.

There are many levels. We come to understanding and knowledge through Wisdom

My understanding goes to 11

Actually, there are two senses of Scripture – literal and spiritual. There are three spiritual senses: allegorical, moral, and anagogical.

There is always a literal sense to a passage. There aren’t necessarily all three spiritual senses (although, I’m sure, we could come up with each of these, if we wish).

St Bonaventure recognized 8 senses of scripture

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.