Why is the birth of Mother Mary not mentioned in the Holy Bible (66 books?)

We have four miracelous births that took place but the fourth is missing in the holy bible that I have NIV and I believe most Holy Bibles which have 66 books. Why?

1. Isaac to Abraham and Sara in their old age.
  2. Samson to Manoh and his wife ( in the book of Judges, only 6 chapters are given to his story)
  3. John the Baptist to Zachariah and Elizabeth ( old age)

but the most important one is missing and that is

1. Mother Mary to Joaquim and Anna ( again in old age)

Would someone shed some light on this as to why it was omitted from the Holy Bible?

Mother Mary was a miracle child born thru God’s intervention and hence born without sin, which many dont accept.

Actually I think they did mention the most important birth. Jesus to Mary.

Probably because the Holy Bible is a book about Jesus, not Mary.

They also don’t accept her to be the mother of God, which I think would be rather offensive to her son.

the Apostles said, we should hold on to what passed down to us through word OR letter :slight_smile:

the Bible mentions important things about Mary, for example that she is full of grace, blessed among women, highly favoured, the Ark of the New Covenant, Queen of Heaven, obedient to God, etc… the rest is taught by Sacred Tradition

:):clapping:

In cases 1-3 you cite births when nature alone would not produce a birth, however with Mary that is not known to be the same. Mary’s soul was cleansed of original sin however it may have been cleansed after a normal conception, or before the soul was infused, we do not know. We do not teach Mary as the daughter of God but rather that she lived sinless because she did not have “stain” on soul as we do. Her cleansing is believed to prepare her to both carry Jesus so his human nature would not be stained, and endure the suffering Jesus’ life would create for her.

hope that helps

I believe the Church teaches otherwise, that Mary was preserved from original sin from the first moment of her conception, not afterwards. (Whether the teaching gets more specific and definitive vis-a-vis *before *her soul was infused vs *at the moment *her soul was infused I cannot say)

tee

I accept. The birth of Mary is well described in the Quran. She was dedicated to the service of God while still in the womb of her mother (Anna, name not mentiond in Quran). But the mother of Mary is described hailing from a good Godly family of Imran, a Levite, father of Aaron and Moses.

That lady (Anna) wished to have a son who would serve God. But she delivered a girl. Apparantly she failed in her wish (mission). But Anna did not really fail. Her wish was fulfilled by God through Mary, by the birth of Jesus. (See Quran chapter 3 and 19).

By the way, I notice that you’re using a Protestant translation of the Bible. Protestant translations omit seven books from the Old Testament, and a few brief segments from others. You should get a Catholic version (not that it would actually contain the fourth story you’re looking for, but you’ll find other problems).

The miraculous conception, Sts. Joachim & Anna being beyond childbearing years, & birth and childhood of Mary was written down in Scripture in addition to being a part of oral tradition. I don’t know why when the Council determined which books of Scripture would be included in Sacred Scripture it was omitted; perhaps because the details we’re such common knowledge it was considered unnecessary? We can ask those early Church Fathers when we get to heaven, God willing.

The Coran is full of lies. But what do you expect from a book channeled by a pedophile?

Are Mary’s parents mentioned in the Catholic Bible?

Merry Christmas!

Mary the Theotokos lived a sinless life because she, of her own free will, chose to.

Mary was created no differently than the rest of humanity born after the fall of Adam and Eve. She suffered with the affects of ancestral sin like the rest of us: suffering, sickness, temptation to sin and death. The difference between the rest of humanity and Mary and Jesus is that Mary and Jesus overcame each and every temptation to sin.

Mary had free will too, but she chose better than the rest of us. She used her free will perfectly unlike the rest of us. She is an awesome example of what all humans were created to do.

Why is the tradition about Mary sacred, but not the gnostic tradition? Just because it is more widely accepted?

Hi emeraldcoast,

I’m not a Catholic anymore, but am an Orthodox Christian. I still have several Catholic Bibles though and the answer is No. Joachim and Anna are not mentioned in the Catholic Bible.

They are mentioned in Scripture, but not in Sacred Scripture. Remember that it was not until the 4th Century that the bishops all got to gether inCouncil reviewing many of the Scriptures and determined which would be accepted officially into Sacred Scripture. They choose 27 Scripture books to be addded to the Septuagint, which is what we call the Bible, or “library of books”.

The Orthodox still use the full Septuagint as was in circulation among the Jews from around 200 bc to the mid 1st century ad. The same that Jesus used when He read in the Temple. This means that the Orthodox Bible, specifically the Old Testament, has more books in it then Catholics and Protestant. Orthodox have the original 49 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New.

Merry Christmas,
Monica

The tradition of Mary was handed down by the Apostles and is orthodox.

Gnostics were heretics because they taught something the Apostles did not hand down.

PART ONE
THE PROFESSION OF FAITH
SECTION TWO
THE PROFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH

CHAPTER TWO
I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, THE ONLY SON OF GOD

ARTICLE 3

Mary’s predestination …

489 Throughout the Old Covenant the mission of many holy women prepared for that of Mary. At the very beginning there was Eve; despite her disobedience, she receives the promise of a posterity that will be victorious over the evil one, as well as the promise that she will be the mother of all the living.128 By virtue of this promise, Sarah conceives a son in spite of her old age.129 Against all human expectation God chooses those who were considered powerless and weak to show forth his faithfulness to his promises: Hannah, the mother of Samuel; Deborah; Ruth; Judith and Esther; and many other women.130 Mary "stands out among the poor and humble of the Lord, who confidently hope for and receive salvation from him. After a long period of waiting the times are fulfilled in her, the exalted Daughter of Sion, and the new plan of salvation is established."131

The Immaculate Conception

490 To become the mother of the Savior, Mary "was enriched by God with gifts appropriate to such a role."132 The angel Gabriel at the moment of the annunciation salutes her as “full of grace”.133 In fact, **in order for Mary to be able to give the free assent of her faith to the announcement of her vocation, it was necessary that she be wholly borne by God’s grace. **
491 Through the centuries the Church has become ever more aware that Mary, “full of grace” through God,134 was redeemed from the moment of her conception. That is what the dogma of the Immaculate Conception confesses, as Pope Pius IX proclaimed in 1854:

The most Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of almighty God and by virtue of the merits of Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, preserved immune from all stain of original sin.135

492 The “splendor of an entirely unique holiness” by which Mary is “enriched from the first instant of her conception” comes wholly from Christ: she is “redeemed, in a more exalted fashion, by reason of the merits of her Son”.136 The Father blessed Mary more than any other created person “in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places” and chose her “in Christ before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless before him in love”.137

**493 The Fathers of the Eastern tradition call the Mother of God “the All-Holy” (Panagia), and celebrate her as “free from any stain **of sin, as though fashioned by the Holy Spirit and formed as a new creature”.138 By the grace of God Mary remained free of every personal sin her whole life long.

IN BRIEF

**508 From among the descendants of Eve, God chose the Virgin Mary to be the mother of his Son. “Full of grace”, Mary is “the most excellent fruit of redemption” (SC 103): from the first instant of her conception, she was totally preserved from the stain of original sin and she remained pure from all personal sin throughout her life. **

scborromeo.org/ccc/p122a3p2.htm#484

Thank you, Monica! I had no clue that the Orthodox Bible had more books then the Catholic Bible.

Merry Christmas!
Jane

It seems like your question presumes that all of your Catholic faith should be spelled out in your Protestant Bible. It isn’t even spelled out in a complete Bible. You sound like you accept the doctrine. That is good. But if you continue to imagine that every article of the Catholic faith is explicitly taught in Scripture, you are proceeding with a presupposition that is insupportable according to Catholic teaching.

I would suggest chucking your “Lite Scripture” from 20th Century Evangelicals, and get a Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible. There is a very good commentary online if you can’t afford a Haydock Bible which usually runs around $130.

haydock1859.tripod.com/index.html

**493 The Fathers of the Eastern tradition call the Mother of God “the All-Holy” (Panagia), and celebrate her as "free from any stain **of sin

TexasRoofer,

I think that is a well put Catholic Church teaching on the issue of Mary. It is very wise as a Catholic to go to the source of current Catholic teaching, the CCC.

The part of the quote above from it is accurate from an Orthodox view. The titles most commonly used for Mary are:

Theotokos meaning Mother of God
Panagia meaning All Holy One
Iperagia meaning Most Holy One

We agree, my Church and your Church that Mary is and always was free from every sin!

What we don’t agree on is the Catholic Doctrine of the Immaculate Conception which sets Mary apart from the moment of her creation from the rest of humanity. We believe that no child is born with original sin in the Catholic understanding of it, which I believe was based on some skewed viewof Augustine (skewed would be the Orthodox view of course, not Catholic). The only sin we believe any one is responsible for are those that he/she commit.

Mary had no sin ever! Again we agree on that.

We just disagree on what it means Original/Ancestorial Sin.

Merry Christmas,
Monica

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.