why is the Catholic Church the only one that has a "service" every day?

just wondering…

are Catholics more into Jesus???

:hmmm::coffeeread::hmmm:

I’ve noticed that many Orthodox churches have Vespers or Matins during the week.

That is a great question. I would guess that it would be something to do with the catechism (sp?), involving making sure you get at least one day a week off of work to celebrate (especially if it can’t be Sunday). I’m not sure if that’s true though, so don’t quote me on that one.

If you think it would help, should I ask an apologist?

It appears to have been so from the beginning. Note Acts 2:46-47

46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

$$$$$

$$$$$

There are no collections during week day masses…only on Sundays.

I think that there are daily masses because Jesus is present in the church daily. Most non-catholic church sevices depend on preaching and community. The Catholic mass (service) just needs a priest. It can be just you/me & Jesus or a whole crowd…it’s the same…Jesus is present in the Eucharist and anyone can be close to him by receiving every day. Kinda of like a man & woman deciding to get married because they want to be with each other every day not just on Sundays or date night.

I don’t know … I was just speculating (don’t they still have those candle things you can slip a buck into?). I was kidding anyway. How the heck would I know (i don’t go to church, except for funerals and weddings – being agnostic and all).

This is a straw man.

You are not wondering anything here, just making up stuff.

Actually, the “daily service” in not only Catholic but Eastern Churches (Catholic and non-) is a holdover from Judaism, which still has twice-daily services, not just on the Sabbath.

Furthermore the monastic tradition of the Daily Office is more common in Eastern Churches than in Western ones, with the notable exception Anglicans. Many of their parishes have daily Morning and/or Evening Prayer, as well as a daily Eucharist.

They have the “candle things” at my church, but you can light one at any time–it’s not limited to before or after Mass.

This is an interesting question, though. Why don’t other Christian churches have a service every day? I think some Baptist denominations have 2 meetings a week - Sunday and Wednesday, I think.

Can anyone tell us why their non-Catholic Christian church doesn’t meet daily?

:shrug:

Ah, heh… a priceless anti-protestant line! :wink: You did make me laugh! :smiley:

It’s nothing to do with money. But I often wonder why the church is open on weekdays at the exact time that most normal people would actually be at work! 9:00am.

It is a good question though, why everyday?

I don’t know why, but I can tell you this much;

My Methodist Church;

Sunday; normal service (not called mass). 9:00am & again at 6:30pm

Tuesday; Bible study 7:30pm

Thurday; Alpha course. 7:30pm

Friday; Mens Discipleship 8:00pm

Saturday; Womens Discipleship 8:00pm

There is also football classes and acting classing some where in there. :smiley:

Any more questions?

xxXx zundrah xXxx

Since the “service” is the Mass, Catholics understand that the Mass is eternal – not just everyday, but every second. Recognizing that, it is not unusual to worship the Real Presence continually.

For the most part, non-Catholics do not even recognize the Real Presence. The most they can expect or hope for is a pastor who will present his favorite choice of Scripture from the book of the Catholic Church - the Bible… and be able to talk for 45 minutes or so.

Ministerial Priests, ordained in a succession from the Apostles, have much more responsibility on their shoulders. Pray for them all in this, the year of the Priest.

The Churchs are often open 24 hours (although not in more “dangerous” areas). This is because the Catholics understand that the Lord is “open” 24/7 and he waits for us to come to him… not just on our “normal” schedule.

Your list is fine… Catholics have the same things (perhaps under different names).

But we are talking “service”, or Mass… not the extra ministries which the people often monitor.

One parish I used to attend had 57 separate ministries like the ones you mentioned and more. But the Mass, the Eucharist, is what makes the Catholic Church unique. One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism.

John 6 underscores (4 times) the importance of the Eucharist.

By the way… nice signature… It is so… Catholic.:thumbsup: And I hope that when you attend the Mass, you do NOT partake of the Eucharist. That would be wrong!

The weekday Mass is at 7 am.

Typical making of accusations against the Church when you don’t know what you’re talking about. They don’t have a daily collection. Why do people think its okay to make charges against the Church when they have obviously never even attended a daily mass…this is how careless lies get perpetrated.
I can just see it in the latest Chick tract…money from daily mass is used towards building a sound proof chamber to house all the Protestants in when the Pope takes over the world.

Consider as the church strays further from Catholic style worship the factors which come into play. Protestants take their personal relationship with Jesus seriously, they see less need for an interccesor.

As we take things directly to the cross with less sacraments or rituals we have no need for things to take place on church disignated hallowed ground.

Our ministers and elders are for the most part married and must work to support their families. Even with full time clergy church finances come into play. To turn on a heater/AC and the lights cost a huge buck. First the embership doesn’t see the need to be specifically at the disignated building add in the cost you don’t budget for the few who are not working but want to hang around the sanctuary.

Those Wednesday services tend not to be “services” but rather Bible study classes with more question and awnser and less hallelujahs and amens. Sometimes junior members of, or stripped down praise teams led some praise and worship first.

MrS]The Churchs are often open 24 hours (although not in more “dangerous” areas).

There is an anglican church that was open everyday (more or less) in Romford, but it kept getting it’s little shop stolen from… (the rosaries).

This is because the Catholics understand that the Lord is “open” 24/7 and he waits for us to come to him… not just on our “normal” schedule.

Amen!

Your list is fine… Catholics have the same things (perhaps under different names).

Most catholic churches don’t have bible studies though.

But we are talking “service”, or Mass… not the extra ministries which the people often monitor.

Ah, yes of course, I knew that! The weekday “events” are not like sunday service at all, not in any way what so ever!

One parish I used to attend had 57 separate ministries like the ones you mentioned and more. But the Mass, the Eucharist, is what makes the Catholic Church unique.

Bias? :stuck_out_tongue:

One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism.

As like my methodist church too… one Lord, one faith, one baptism…

John 6 underscores (4 times) the importance of the Eucharist.

You mean the five thousand that he fed? That is nothing at all about the Eucharist!

By the way… nice signature…

Thank you. :cool:

It is so… Catholic.:thumbsup:

Grrr…! :banghead::crying::bighanky:

And I hope that when you attend the Mass, you do NOT partake of the Eucharist.

I wouldn’t do that… or would I? :wink:

That would be wrong!

Noob!

:rotfl:

That is never gonna happen, baby! :smiley:

Couldn’t the ministers do a 7am service and then go to work?

If the membership thinks that a service is at all special, a special kind of worship, why wouldn’t they want to offer that daily? (The service (Mass) is offered to God, not the membership.)

The daily Mass is offered every day, even if no one is there but the priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.