Why is the Catholic church the only true church?

Christianty is a church which many different paths within it, the Catholic church, Protestantism in it’s many forms aswell as the Coptics, Chinese catholic, old catholic, Orthodox aswell as many more I probably have never heard off, so what makes the Catholic church the Right Church?

I have always thought of the church as being Universal, to include everyone, all Christians, why then are Protestants and others not connected to the catholic church officially seen as following a ‘false’ theology and the Catholic church considered as being the ‘Correct’ theology?

Can’t all Christians be considered as having the right theology even though there different, maybe God deliberately created/allowed many Christian denominations so as to include everyone and not just a few?

Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.

Unfortunetly you are incorrect.

The Catholic Church, along with Messianic Jews are the true Churches founded by Jesus.

Thats all I have, but someone can explain it better then me.

Peace.

Huge question that deserves probably a much longer answer than I will write, but perhaps it will be a jumping off point.

God is all powerful all knowing and the Truth. There are no contradictions in him. All morality is based in his objective truth.

It is true that murder is wrong. This is from God. If a “church” decided murder was acceptable and a virtue, then that church would not be of God. Saying, well maybe God is just trying to include the murderers is probably sounding pretty ridiculous.

This is a clear example, but every moral issue is the same. Abortion, homosexual marriage, lying, cheating, adultery, etc etc etc.

So it is not just innocent differences that differentiate some churches.

If there is a God, and if God is as Christianity holds, then there MUST be only one Church because there is only one God and God is truth. God speaks to the Church and to men through the Holy Spirit who is fully God.

God cannot tell Church A do this and Church B do this if they are theologically or morally inconsistent because that would contradict the nature of God.

Therefore, it is concluded that the differences in the Churches are the result of man and our sin, no the result of God orchestrating such.

Now for some history,

Christ founded one Church, on Peter the Rock Matt 18. This one Church spread throughout the world but was always one.

Christ prayed that the Church would be one.

Due to mankind’s sin, the church has split several times throughout history, most notably in 1050 with the Orthodox split and then in 1500’s with the Protestant split.

The Orthodox and the Catholics are in schism but still linked by our history and hopefully will reunite someday.

Protestantism sprouted out of Catholicism. Without catholicism there would be no protestantism. Due to its weak ecclesial theology, Most of protestantism is hopelessly fractured and some just were created without any link to history and tradition. Despite this we call protestants are “separated brethren” because that is what they are even if they don’t believe that.

Orthodoxy maintains a valid authority in the world despite the schism. They have the truth but are separated due to the error of rejecting the authority of the Pope. Still, they have valid sacraments.

Protestants on the other hand do not. But they do still have some truth in their theology. So we say that the Catholic Church has the fullness of truth. The Catholic Church demonstrates and guides in worship of God and living life the way God wants us to worship him and live our lives.

All others are missing something while holding onto other parts.

Only the Catholic Church has the historical pedigree to back up their claims.

If the messianic Jews are Catholic…
:shrug:

But even if they were not they are the oldest branch of Christianity, even older than the Church. They were even founded by some of the disciples.

I Believe in the Holy Catholic Church and the Communion of Saints
by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J.

Messianic Jews have more of an evangelical Christianity foundation.
Hebrew Catholics are Catholics.

thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: very good.

I am sorry my friend, you are incorrect.

Messianic Jews are a relatively modern evangelical group derived from Protestantism.

The disciples were Catholic. The Catholic Church is the Church found in the New Testament. The Church with Peter as its leader. .

As mother Miriam says, the Catholic Church is the fullness of Judaism.

The Catholic Church was established by Jesus. So all the Jews that became Christian were Catholics.

There is no older form of Christianity than Catholic Christianity.

You are right. I just did some research and you are completely correct that I was mistaken. My sincere apologies.

However in my research I found that the Greek Orthodox church is argubaly just as old Catholicisim my friend.

The Orthodox and Catholic Church was one and the same until 1050. We even hold all the same councils as authoritative up to 1050 because we were one Catholic Church.

They are in schism and in 1050 rejected the Pope’s authority. I discussed this somewhat in my longer thread.

The word Orthodox was created to reflect the split. They believed they were “orthodox” in their position and we were in error.

The orthodox are composed of many groups. Not just Greek.

My sincere apologies I did not fully read your longer post my friend.

No apologies necessary. That’s why we are all here! To learn from each other.

the Greek Orthodox and Catholic Church before 1054 A.D. were one church.

Miss Primrose #1
I have always thought of the church as being Universal, to include everyone, all Christians, why then are Protestants and others not connected to the catholic church officially seen as following a ‘false’ theology and the Catholic church considered as being the ‘Correct’ theology?

Can’t all Christians be considered as having the right theology even though there different, maybe God deliberately created/allowed many Christian denominations so as to include everyone and not just a few?

Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.

Yes, Catholic means universal as first used by St Ignatius of Antioch who pointed out (A.D. 35-107, Letter to the Smyrneans, 8, 2): “Where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.”

Other Christians are regarded as linked to the Catholic Church through baptism though not having the fullness of truth.

Can you explain to me how “the right theology” is held by “all Christians” if they don’t follow Christ when He mandated this?
All four promises to Peter alone
**“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18) **
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
“I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven." ( Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19)

Sole authority to Peter alone
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).

Later to the twelve also:
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.”

Why should anyone ignore the reality that it is Christ’s Catholic Church which authorised and guaranteed specific writings to be the Word of God (as the Bible) and, as Christ’s Church, mandates that Sacred Tradition, Sacred Scripture and the Magisterium (teaching authority of His Pope) form one whole?

Already, Peter had exercised his supreme authority in the upper room before Pentecost to have Judas’ place filled. At the first Apostolic Council of Jerusalem Peter settled the heated discussion over circumcising the gentiles and “the whole assembly fell silent” (Acts 15:7-12). Paul made sure that his ministry to the gentiles was recognised by, Peter (Gal 1:I8).

The third successor of St Peter, Clement, wrote to the Catholics of Corinth in A.D. 95: “If any man should be disobedient unto the words spoken by God through us, let them understand that they will entangle themselves in no slight transgression and danger… Render obedience to the things written by us through the Holy Spirit.” (I Clem. ad Cor. 59,1). This Is The Faith, Francis J Ripley, Fowler Wright Books, 1971, p 151; 139-141].

“Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit – one Lord, one faith, one baptism: one God and Father of all” (Eph 4:3-6)
[INDENT]
A thousand denoms, doctrines, and strife,
icons, traditions, outlook on life,
You’re pardoned for thinking he had more than one wife,
But she looked no good in straight-jacket.

How many nations, how many souls?
Needs, burdens, hopes, vision, goals?
She turns her hand to multiple roles.
And God knows his Church can hack it.

One Lord, one faith: that is the number.
No, not divided nor lying in slumber.
Let those that see double think it is odd,
But its, One Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God! [/INDENT]

Excellent answer. Very informative.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

Christ created one Church with one theology, one teaching authority, not many. Until very recently, Schism was considered among the very gravest of sins.

All Trinitarian Christians are connected, by virtue of their baptism. That does not make divergent theologies valid.

The whole is better than the sum of it’s parts.

Because Protestant Churches choose not to be in communion with the Church.

The Church teaches that the Pope is the Vicar of Christ.

The Pope is either the Vicar of Christ or he is not.

If a person does not accept the authority of the Pope, how can he or she say they belong in an organization that teaches something that is contrary to their own beliefs.

I can not force a grown child of mine to come home to me, if this child chooses not to come home.

The Church is either the One True Church or it is not the One True Church. I believe that it is so my prayer for the Protestant Churches of the world is that they will come to join in Communion with the Pope and with the teachings of the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.