Why Is The Church Called She (her)

Need Help Explaining This One To Someone.

Welcome to the Forum. :slight_smile:

The Church is presented in Scripture and Sacred Tradition as the Bride of Christ, thus “she”:

John 3:29 - He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. This, my joy, therefore is made full.

2 Corinthians 11:2 - I am jealous over you with God’s own jealousy. For I have betrothed you to Christ to present you to Him like a faithful bride to her one husband.

Ephesians 5:27 - that He might present the Church to Himself a glorious bride, without spot or wrinkle or any other defect, but to be holy and unblemished

Revelation 18:23 - The light of a lamp will shine no more at all in you. The voice of the bridegroom and of the bride will be heard no more at all in you; for your merchants were the princes of the earth; for with your sorcery all the nations were deceived.

Revelation 19:7 - Let us rejoice and triumph and give Him the glory; for the time for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His Bride has made herself ready."

Revelation 21:9 - One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls, who were loaded with the seven last plagues came, and he spoke with me, saying, “Come here. I will show you the wife, the Lamb’s bride.”

Revelation 22:17 - The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” He who hears, let him say, “Come!” He who is thirsty, let him come. He who desires, let him take the water of life freely

Hello SHAKA MAKA1,

“But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother” (Galatians 4:26).

“And [one of the seven angels] carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God…And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb” (Revelation 21:10, 14).

“you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone” (Ephesians 2:19-20).

By reasoning from these verses in reverse order, we see that the Church is the Jerusalem above, who is our Mother.

“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish” (Ephesians 5:25-27).

And from these verses we see that the Church is the Bride of Christ.

For these two reasons, the Church is a “She”.

I hope that helps! May God bless you!

Thanks

In addition, in New Testament Greek the word for “church,” “ekklesia,” is feminine, and when a pronoun is used for it, that pronoun is feminine. Literal translation into English provided “shes”.

DaveBj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.