Why is the Duck Dynasty thread closed?

Yes I am a very infrequent visitor so no doubt I am stepping on toes already. I would just like to voice my opinion on one matter. The problem I see with what the duck man said was 1) he was wrong, and 2) the uneducated world does not understand the true Christian message so we are improperly labeled and / or judged.

But to put it in my own catholic perspective — I often object to Biblical references because they are not qualified by other teachings that soften the blow or contradict the apparent message in some ways. Do all those people who engage in those sins noted end up in hell? No. Is the sin or punishment of one sexual perpetrator the same for another who commits the same act? Again, no. So that is one reason we have to refrain from calling out a sin and its definitive consequences. Jesus gave us His Church to be the authority on these matters and also in the interpretation of Scripture. And I believe the Catholic Church, far and away, is non-judgmental on the sins of others. They do not shy away from calling something a sin, such as abortion, but they do not condemn souls. None. Even if some here may think Scripture is doing it (i.e. condemning souls), I do not. This why when asked about gays Pope Francis said “who am I to judge?”

The day this world realizes there surely is a purgatory they will shy away from the teaching or belief that we all either go directly to heaven or hell upon death. Some may, but it seems so likely the vast majority do not. Which ones? Do not ask me because we do not dare say. But I will say this – being gay is not a death sentence any more than is being an adulterer or a multitude of other transgressions. God will not put some forsaken soul into hell for being an alcoholic or junkie and a crook if he came from a family of alcoholics, junkies or crooks. What chance did he have in many cases of overcoming such a plight?

Here is the passage of Scripture the duck man must have been referencing: 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

First of all, “inherit the kingdom of God” does not mean absolutely never to inherit it. There may be a sentence before becoming purified. Scripture also says “nothing defiled shall inherit the kingdom.” Who among us who has accepted Christ as savior and then proceeded to engage in those acts mentioned dare call himself “undefiled?” Another passage says “God is not one to be mocked.” I refuse to accept definitive heaven or hell judgments upon death. Too many variables for mankind to make these kinds of judgments upon us all no matter what one’s circumstances were. Too many other passages suggest something otherwise. The duck dynasty guy implied too much, IMO.

There is a discussion of Duck Dynasty in Popular Media

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.