Why is the Episcopal service so similar to the Novus Ordo?

It’s completely identical except for the confession of sins being just prior to the Eucharist in the Episcopal service as opposed to towards the beginning in the Catholic Mass.

I don’t get why it is so similar considering the churches separated so long ago and had ~500 years of each of their own developments since then.

2 Likes

?? On what are you basing that?

Episcopal Church is just the US offshoot of Anglican Church.
Anglican Church didn’t change all its rituals when it decided to break off from the Pope.

Furthermore, the “Novus Ordo” is essentially the same Mass as before, in the vernacular and with more participation by the congregation.

Do you mean the modern version of Episcopalian services developed separately from Vatican II developing the OF?

I saw an Anglican service online and it was almost identical to a Catholic mass apart from some words were a bit more archaic (thee and thous).

1 Like

Yes, they developed separately, but in recent years they have been keeping a close eye on each other’s liturgies.

The Bible readings (“lessons”) in the Church of England used to go through the Old Testament in a year, a chapter at a time in canonical order, and the New Testament three times in each year, on the same basis. At some date they decided the Catholic system was more appropriate, because the readings are picked in accordance with the Church calendar, so they switched to doing it the Catholic way. I don’t know when the changeover happened, but my guess is it was no earlier than the twentieth century.

Under the old Anglican system, I think it was only in Lent-Easter and Advent-Christmas that the readings were specially chosen for their content. The rest of the time they just went from one book to the next, in canonical order.

1 Like

Sorry, I realize I was unclear in my original post, I’m going to edit it for clarity because you’re right, it sounds like I thought they developed, since the beginning, separately

Uh. No it isn’t.

As someone who grew up Episcopal, has been Catholic for 28 years, and who still goes to Episcopal services when visiting family— I assure you it is NOT completely identical.

Similarity derived from a common ancestor.

It’s why my sister looks just like my great grandmother.

6 Likes

Not exactly ‘the same as before’ Tis (no more Last Gospel, Benediction, ninefold Kyrie, secret, etc.

But to touch lightly upon the first post, when I go to visit my BFF at the local United Church the service is very very similar to the current Mass; it includes a penitential prayer in the beginning, the Gloria, two readings with a responsorial in between, the gospel, a sermon, the Nicene Creed, the Offertory, the prayers of the faithful, the Holy Holy Holy, offering of the bread and wine (though they are obviously not consecrated), the Great Amen, the Lord’s Prayer, the Lamb of God, and then the blessing and dismissal most Sundays unless there is a monthly communion service.

So yes, very similar, depending on the church (this particular UCC is very ‘high’; a similar church has more ‘scaled down’ prayers but everything still in the ‘same place’.

That was a very good explanation. Thank you.

This might be helpful, and should be relatively noncontroversial, in that it comes from the CAF archive itself:

You live in Dublin, why not pop to a Church of Ireland service when it ends for a real life comparison, the historical DNA is similar which is why there is some similarity but also differences.

All churches are closed at present but to be honest I wouldn’t feel comfortable going to a CoI. I’d prefer to go to mass instead.

Fair enough, but it would seem reasonable if wishing to learn the difference to do so. To give you your due you are more less doing that her anyway and the COI is very much a minority tradition in Ireland nowadays and it was never the major one even when larger.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.