Why is the Eucharist present before mass, and do I need proof of baptism?

Hello everyone, this is my first post to these forums. I am a lifelong Southern Baptist and an aspiring convert to Roman Catholicism. I haven’t started RCIA yet but have contacted my local priest and I hope to start the process very soon! I’ve been attending mass weekly for the last year or so (and browsing these forums for the last few weeks), but I still have a lot to learn about Sacred Liturgy. Thanks so much for your very thorough responses to others’ questions - I really have benefited from them.

I have two questions, and the first is about genuflection and the tabernacle. I understand we kneel before entering the pew because Christ’s body is present in the tabernacle. Was it put there after being consecrated in the previous service? (My understanding is that “consecrated host” means the transubstantiated host) When I kneel before the tabernacle’s consecrated host at the beginning of the mass, will that host be given out in that particular mass? I’ve never noticed the priest going to retrieve the host from the tabernacle before giving the Eucharist to the attendees, but it’s very possible I missed it happening.

I would also like to know if I need proof of baptism before being confirmed. I had a “believer’s baptism” when I was 8 years old in a Baptist Church, and the baptism was done in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. My church doesn’t do baptism certificates, but I think there is a registry somewhere in the church office that indicates I was baptized on a certain date. Do you think that will suffice as proof of baptism? Or is it needed at all? Or does it depend on the parish?

Thank you very much!

Yes, the Eucharist is reserved in the Tabernacle for veneration at all times. (Except during certain points during Holy Week.) Usually someone will retrieve the consecrated Hosts at the Lamb of God, or around that time.

As for your other question, your Pastor or other RCIA leader will guide you through the steps to become Catholic and will help you gather what you need. :slight_smile:

God Bless you!

You are right about the hosts on the tabernacle. They are used at mass keep your eyes open and you will see someone (not always the priest) retrieve it and put it back after communion.

I was also baptized as an evangelical. I did have a certificate but couldn’t find it (although I eventually did) but when it seemed lost, I was told to get an affidavit from two people if my baptism.

I emailed the pastor that baptized me, and had my parents sign as witnesses on the affidavit. Your RCIA DIRECTOR will help you.

If push comes to shove you can be conditionally baptized.

Basically you’d be baptized and the priest would basically say, “if you are not validly baptized already, I baptize you in the name of the father, the son, and the Holy Spirit.”

You desire a good thing, praise God. For me, the priests at my parish and the RCIA director simply took my word that I had a true and valid baptism as I told them I had. Even after I told them I desired to be baptized by the Church they would not let me. So be well, do not worry, God will make it so.

Go in grace beautiful child of God -

Zachary

Yes, the Hosts in the Tabernacle were consecrated at a previous Mass. Ideally only the amount that might be needed to give Communion to the sick would be reserved so it’s quite possible that in your parish they don’t routinely retrieve the Blessed Sacrament from the Tabernacle at Communion time. You might see it happening only when the number of people receiving is larger than expected and Fr. didn’t consecrate enough Hosts for everyone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.