Why is the mass celebrated everyday and not just sunday?

Hi guys… As the title says Im confused because based on this link: apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=11&article=1254

It seems like Mass should only be celebrated on Sunday if true and no other day based on scripture. What am i missing?

Very early Christians, such as the author of the Didache, and Sts. Justin Martyr and Irenaeus, saw the sacrifice of the Mass as a fulfillment of Malachi’s prophecy, “For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts.” (Malachi 1:11) The expression, “from the rising of the sun to its setting” suggests a daily sacrifice rather than a weekly sacrifice.

Jesus Christ himself taught us to pray, “Give us this day our supersubstantial bread.” (Matthew 6:11) What bread is more supersubstantial than that bread from heaven which is the Lord’s own flesh and blood? The expression, “this day,” suggests a daily rather than a weekly reception. St Cyprian of Carthage, writing about 251, said in his treatise, The Lord’s Prayer:
18. As the prayer goes forward, we ask and say, “Give us this day our daily bread.” And this may be understood both spiritually and literally, because either way of understanding it is rich in divine usefulness to our salvation. For Christ is the bread of life; and this bread does not belong to all men, but it is ours. And according as we say, “Our Father,” because He is the Father of those who understand and believe; so also we call it “our bread,” because Christ is the bread of those who are in union with His body. And we ask that this bread should be given to us daily, that we who are in Christ, and daily receive the Eucharist for the food of salvation, may not, by the interposition of some heinous sin, by being prevented, as withheld and not communicating, from partaking of the heavenly bread, be separated from Christ’s body, as He Himself predicts, and warns, “I am the bread of life which came down from heaven. If any man eat of my bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread which I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.” John 6:58 When, therefore, He says, that whoever shall eat of His bread shall live for ever; as it is manifest that those who partake of His body and receive the Eucharist by the right of communion are living, so, on the other hand, we must fear and pray lest any one who, being withheld from communion, is separate from Christ’s body should remain at a distance from salvation; as He Himself threatens, and says, “Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, you shall have no life in you.” And therefore we ask that our bread— that is, Christ— may be given to us daily, that we who abide and live in Christ may not depart from His sanctification and body.

St. Thomas Aquinas briefly discusses the time for celebrating the Eucharist in his Summa Theologica, Part 3, Question 83, Article 2. He says, in part:
I answer that, As stated above (Article 1), in the celebration of this mystery, we must take into consideration the representation of our Lord’s Passion, and the participation of its fruits; and the time suitable for the celebration of this mystery ought to be determined by each of these considerations. Now since, owing to our daily defects, we stand in daily need of the fruits of our Lord’s Passion, this sacrament is offered regularly every day in the Church. Hence our Lord teaches us to pray (Luke 11:3): “Give us this day our daily bread”: in explanation of which words Augustine says (De Verb. Dom. xxviii): “If it be a daily bread, why do you take it once a year, as the Greeks have the custom in the east? Receive it daily that it may benefit you every day.”

I don’t think the author is Catholic as he seems to go by the idea of Scripture Alone. In the Catholic Church we have the Magisterium which can expand on what is in Scripture and give us spiritual benefits such as daily Mass.

The association of the Eucharist with the fourth petition of the Lord’s Prayer, “Give us this day our daily bread,” is also discussed in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraphs 2835-2837.

In the Old Testament, when the Israelites were wandering around the wilderness, they ate manna on a daily basis. (God sent a one-day supply of manna on the first five days of each week and a two-day supply on the sixth day of each week. He did not send any on the seventh day of each week so that they could rest on the Sabbath.) In John 6, Jesus Christ makes a comparison between this Old Testament manna and himself, the true bread from heaven, which he himself would later make available for consumption at his Last Supper in the Eucharist (Matthew 26:26-28, etc.) and which is also made available for consumption in the Eucharist every time the Lord’s Supper is celebrated. (1 Corinthians 10:16; 11:17-34) Because of this comparison, the daily reception of the manna in the Old Testament suggests a daily reception of the Eucharist. Otherwise, the Old Testament type would be a greater miracle than the New Testament type.

This seems the most convincing argument, and is clearly scriptural as well. Sometimes our separated brethren can’t see the forest for the trees…

I have wondered if there is always a mass every hour of every day happening somewhere in the world.

I have not had luck searching for that subject.

The author is not Catholic and in fact has written may articles that are anti-Catholic …

He does believe in Sola Scriptura …

Why read him other then to know what non-Catholics are saying … and the mis-information they spread about Catholic teachings - its always good to know that so you can correct it …

Read their links on Catholicism, and you will find that they are definitely NOT Catholic.

Oh thanks guys! I thought the author was Catholic or something… Apologetics press… the name gave me that impression though i didnt actually look around the whole site.

I guess the understanding would be that give us this day our daily bread… That should be it. Next question though, Is there anywhere in scripture that shows the apostles breaking bread/ eating the Eucharist on normal days besides Sat/Sun or did the Church’s understanding mature/ change on the matter?

Jesus himself said in one of the gospels, “whenever you do this, do this in memory of me.” He didn’t specify when, just whenever.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

We are told that we should “pray without ceasing.” Mass is the chief prayer of the Church, therefore Mass occurs every day and hour all around the world.

And if you add the other part of the Church’s sacred liturgy, the Liturgy of the Hours, the notion of Catholics being in liturgical prayer at any time, at some place in the world, increases even more in probability. I just finished praying Vespers and no doubt somewhere in the world in adjacent time zones someone is taking over from me; at some other point on the globe someone is starting Vigils or Lauds, and at yet other points someone is engaged in mid-day Prayer, and of course there’s a Mass going on.

It truly reinforces us as being one (praying) Body of Christ. While Christ may be the heart and soul of our Church, the Liturgy is its lungs and its voice.

Dr. Miller not Catholic.

-Tim-

More intercession!

Catechism1369 The whole Church is united with the offering and intercession of Christ. Since he has the ministry of Peter in the Church, the *Pope *is associated with every celebration of the Eucharist, wherein he is named as the sign and servant of the unity of the universal Church. The *bishop *of the place is always responsible for the Eucharist, even when a *priest *presides; the bishop’s name is mentioned to signify his presidency over the particular Church, in the midst of his presbyterium and with the assistance of deacons. The community intercedes also for all ministers who, for it and with it, offer the Eucharistic sacrifice:
[INDENT] Let only that Eucharist be regarded as legitimate, which is celebrated under [the presidency of] the bishop or him to whom he has entrusted it.191 Through the ministry of priests the spiritual sacrifice of the faithful is completed in union with the sacrifice of Christ the only Mediator, which in the Eucharist is offered through the priests’ hands in the name of the whole Church in an unbloody and sacramental manner until the Lord himself comes.192
1370 To the offering of Christ are united not only the members still here on earth, but also those already in the glory of heaven. In communion with and commemorating the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the saints, the Church offers the Eucharistic sacrifice. In the Eucharist the Church is as it were at the foot of the cross with Mary, united with the offering and intercession of Christ.

1371 The Eucharistic sacrifice is also offered for the faithful departed who "have died in Christ but are not yet wholly purified,"193 so that they may be able to enter into the light and peace of Christ:
Put this body anywhere! Don’t trouble yourselves about it! I simply ask you to remember me at the Lord’s altar wherever you are.194 Then, we pray [in the anaphora] for the holy fathers and bishops who have fallen asleep, and in general for all who have fallen asleep before us, in the belief that it is a great benefit to the souls on whose behalf the supplication is offered, while the holy and tremendous Victim is present. . . . By offering to God our supplications for those who have fallen asleep, if they have sinned, we . . . offer Christ sacrificed for the sins of all, and so render favorable, for them and for us, the God who loves man.195
[/INDENT]

I think that was true even before Vatican II, especially when Masses were said at the side altars as well as the main altar. Masses were also said on the half-hour.

Theoretically if all the daily Masses start on the hour and last for less than an hour, there are periods when a Mass isn’t said. I don’t think this is the case though.

Ya know - you’re the third person who has pointed this out. I think I know by now!

Thanks for the replies!

That whole thing you just experienced here is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Read the whole thread, people.
Don’t pile on.
And direct the info to whom it’s most useful, in this case the OP (and I’m pretty sure he pick up the clue as it was hammered home:hammering:.)

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.