Why is the Muslim day of rest on Friday?

Just curious.

Probably to make Islam different from Judaism and Christianity. By making Friday the day of Rest, it allowed Moslems to do business on Saturdays and Sundays when trade was forbidden to Jews and Christians,
Such is compitition in the Near and Middle East.

I don’t know, but wouldn’t it be cool if in the U.S., the standard weekend were: Friday, Saturday & Sunday!?! I’m sure most of our families would be thrilled of we had 3 days instead of 2 to spend together :smiley:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

I heard Allah’s Apostle (p.b.u.h) saying, "We (Muslims) are the last (to come) but (will be) the foremost on the Day of Resurrection though the former nations were given the Holy Scriptures before us.

And this was their day (Friday) the celebration of which was made compulsory for them but they differed about it. So Allah gave us the guidance for it (Friday) and all the other people are behind us in this respect: the Jews’ (holy day is) tomorrow (i.e. Saturday) and the Christians’ (is) the day after tomorrow (i.e. Sunday)." (Book #13, Hadith #1)

Friday is also important to Islam because they claim Allah created the sun on Friday and add that Adam was formed from water & clay on a Friday.

They are also commanded to take at least 1 bath per 7 days and that day would be a Friday

It is narrated by Abu Huraira and Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said:

It was **friday **from which Allah diverted those who were before us.

For the Jews (the day set aside for prayer) was Sabt (Saturday), and for the Christians it was Sunday. And Allah turned towards us and guided us to friday (as the day of prayer) for us.

In fact, He (Allah) made friday, Saturday and Sunday (as days of prayer). In this order would they (Jews and Christians) come after us on the Day of Resurrection.

We are the last of (the Ummahs) among the people in this world and the first among the created to be judged on the Day of Resurrection. In one narration it is: ', to be judged among them". (Book #004, Hadith #1862)

There’s much more on the day of Friday in the Islamic world.

Source from Sahih Muslim & Bukhari

Thank you.

Quite convoluted to say the least. :hmmm:

MJ

It is not a ‘day of rest’ for Muslims.

Rather, it is a day when special regard is given to the Remembrance of God. Muslims are taught to leave off all business when the call is made for Friday congregational prayers in the early part of the afternoon, during which there is supposed to be delivered a religious sermon.

After the prayer is over, Muslims may return to business. But it has nothing to do with competition in the market place.

Peace.

Muslims have labeled Abraham as well as all prophets muslim…

Yep. :smiley:

MJ

Interesting.

Thanks, Dialogues, do you have any reference in Quran/hadith on this? One of the states in my country have switched their weekend from Sunday to Friday so that Muslims can pray, even though all employers give Muslims extra time off on Fridays to attend mosque prayers. If they follow what you mentioned, then switching to a Friday weekend is not necessary. Is it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.