Why is the Vatican in Roman

Hello All’
Just one simple question. God said that Jerusalem was the city that he would put his name on and that it would be his city. So why is the head of the Catholic church in Roman and not in Jerusalem ?

allischalmers
Born Again (God’s choice) Baptist(Mine and God’s choice)

[quote=allischalmers]Hello All’
Just one simple question. God said that Jerusalem was the city that he would put his name on and that it would be his city. So why is the head of the Catholic church in Roman and not in Jerusalem ?

allischalmers
[/quote]

Could you please provide a reference to this? I’d like to examine it in context. Thank you.

allischalmers
[/quote]

At Barnes and Nobel or by googling you can find brief histories of the wars for Jerusalem and why the Church is in Rome. Also, I don’t think it is quite accurate to claim the head of the Church is a Roman. I believe he is a german. :smiley:

A wide variety of factors. First, Rome itself was the capitol of the empire making it the most important city in the region. Second, the Church initially had its headquarters in Jerusalem but rember that the Jews rebelled against the Roman empire in the early 70s. The Romans won, sacked the city and destroyed the Temple, and scattered the Jewish people to the four winds. By this time (either shortly before or shortly after) both Peter and Paul had been martyred in Rome. Rome was a vast city and had a sizeable Christian community. St. Peter is actually buried under St. Peter’s in Rome. In response to your question, I don’t think it was a concious decision on anyone’s part - it was simply historical development.

The Church is the New Jerusalem.

Rome represents the secular government which was responsible for the death of our Lord, Jesus the Christ. How fitting it is for the head of His Church to be headquartered in the very capitol of the earthly government that had him put to death. It shows the triumph of His Church over earthly powers.

It makes one think of the Lord’s words to the apostles…

“There is much more I would like to tell you, but you cannot bear them now.” (John 16:12)

What would be unbearable to a first century Jewish male?

How about the notion that some day a Jewish woman (Mary) would be so honored? Or, perhaps that their beloved Jerusalem would be destroyed by the Romans and that the very city of the enemy would become the new “Holy City?”

Don’t forget… Salem was a Chaananite city, before it became Jebus - a Jebusite city, before it became Yerushalem (Jerusalem; or the new Salem.)

Thal59

Jesus set Peter as steward over His Church. Peter was the visible head of Jesus’ Church after Jesus ascended to heaven. So, wherever Peter was that was the headquarters of the Church. Peter left Jerusalem and first went to Antioch and then to Rome where he was the bishop of the Church of Rome until he was martyred. Linus succeeded Peter as bishop of the Church of Rome and as visible head of Jesus’ Church. Pope Benedict XVI is the 265th (or something like that) bishop of the Church of Rome, successor of Peter and visible head of the Church.

[quote=JimG]The Church is the New Jerusalem.
[/quote]

This was going to be my answer. It is important to realize that Jerusalem is a ‘type’ of the Church in the gospel. To say that the New Jerusalem must be located in the same place as Jerusalem is to simply misunderstand the language and usage of Scripture. The type is always alike in some way, but its fulfillment more glorious.

[quote=katewithak]… I don’t think it is quite accurate to claim the head of the Church is a Roman. I believe he is a german. :smiley:
[/quote]

But first and foremost…Christian! :slight_smile:

As mentioned above, the physical city of Jerusalem may have been a symbol. I look at it this way.

God establishes his presence:
1st. The Holy Family
Then The Holy Nation
3rd The Holy Kingdom
and now, The Holy Church

allischalmers
[/quote]

God also said that the physical city of Jerusalem would apostacize from the true faith by rejecting Him as their messiah, claim that He is not their king but Caesar is, that they would in their hearts accept Caesar as their messiah and in return that great harlot called Jerusalem in the middle east would have their Temple burned to the ground just as it did in AD 70.

Then, as Revelation says a New Jerusalem came down out of heaven. We call this New Jerusalem the Holy Catholic Church.

Ken

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.