Why is there no mention of God creating Hell in Genesis?

Why is there no mention of God creating Hell in Genesis?.

Is Earth the living Hell?

Hi Robert,

Hell, as of today, is not a place, since there are no bodies to occupy it. It is a state of eternal separation from God. We have been created to be happy forever with Him, so separation from Him is the worse punishments one can suffer.

At the Last Judgment, hell could become a special place, but I rather think the damned will be condemned to live on this earth in misery, while the Elect would enjoy what Revelation calls a New Heaven and a New Earth.

What do you think ?

Verbum

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:1, topic:321879"]

[/quote]

If it were mentioned, would you want to read further? Answering my own question, I suppose yes, to find out how to avoid it.

I agree with the other poster that hell is regarded by many as the eternal separation from G-d rather than a place of never-ending suffering and torment. But not by all in the Church, since I don't think there is an official teaching on this. Hell on Earth? It may sometimes seem so but I doubt it.

[/quote]

The way I understand it, Hell hasn't been created yet. When it is created, Satan and his minions will occupy it.

:shrug:

Hell already exists. Ask the damned. Hell is not mentioned in Genesis probably for several reasons 1. the Hebrews had no concept of such a place 2. God didn't build it

According to various demons, they built Hell. Before they built the place it was just "a place". Sort of in the way God did not build New York either, but it exists nonetheless and wasn't mentioned in Genesis.

I sure do think that Earth is a living Hell.

[/quote]

Here God created what is described in the second verse.
1: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Here is creation without God’s Presences therein until His Spirit moves upon the face of the waters and then in the third verse speaks in His Presence.

2: And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3: And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Here the Light was divided from the darkness, and we know God does not dwell in darkness because His Word is Light. So dwelling outside of God’s Presence in darkness, isn’t being in the Light or the Kingdom of God. So the place for that which doesn’t dwell in the Presence of the Living God was made before the Light of God’s Voice was revealed in His creation. This doesn’t mean that the Light of God’s Voice didn’t exist before darkness, it only means it was revealed into the darkness, then God divided the two.

4: And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Good question, but i guess not everything is revealed to all generations. Moses was not allowed to see the promise land. It is posible Hell was taught very early by oral tradition, just never recorded in scripture. A definite form of Hell can be in this life just as purgatory can begin now as well. But the true nature of Hell is seeing God, being judged by Him and forever being seperated from Him. This is hardly comparable to anything in this life

Michael

[quote="rcwitness, post:9, topic:321879"]
Good question, but i guess not everything is revealed to all generations. Moses was not allowed to see the promise land. It is posible Hell was taught very early by oral tradition, just never recorded in scripture. A definite form of Hell can be in this life just as purgatory can begin now as well. But the true nature of Hell is seeing God, being judged by Him and forever being seperated from Him. This is hardly comparable to anything in this life

Michael

[/quote]

People are living in a world of Hell with different grades of torment, and we are separated from God.LOVE, not money. Is the key to salvation.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:7, topic:321879"]
I sure do think that Earth is a living Hell.

[/quote]

But it is not. God created it for us to enjoy it. Sure, it has been spoiled a lot by sin, but still enjoyable and beautiful. Even the damages of sin can become a proof of the love of God, if you find forgiveness and life in Christ. A little bit similarly to how His wounds are glorious, the wounds of this earth can become glorious for those redeemed by His love. See, for example, how Blessed Mother Theresa found the presence of Christ in the poorest of he poor. Misery became a place for her to meet her Beloved, and for so many others who followed in her footsteps. And that is just the example of one single saint. There are so many others who kissed lepers...
Hell is not to love and not to be loved: because God will never stop loving (He IS love), those who perpetually reject His love don't drop out of existence. Wherever they are, there is hell for them: Gehenna, where the fire never goes out and their worm never dies. In this sense, yes, God created the place which becomes hell for the condemned, and it is recorded in Genesis.

Ok, a basic tenet of Scripture: if something isn't mentioned, it is not excluded. First: the reference to the heavens is not a reference to Heaven, but to that which surrounds the earth. Second: Genesis does not mention creation of angels, either, or does it? But other parts of Scripture do: Psalm 148, for instance, says: "Praise him, all his angels", and Sirach 16 speaks of angels created in the beginning before the rest of creation:

their portions he allotted to them; He established their activities for all time, and their dominions forever. They neither hunger not grow weary, and they do not abandon their tasks. They do not crowd one another, and they never disobey his word.

Then the Lord looked upon the earth and filled it with good things.

And of course there is plenty of other mentions of angels throughout, the most worthy of which is obviously that of the Lord Himself, who mentions them repeatedly. Ultimately one has no doubt of their existence - nor, at the same time, of the existence of demons - in short, of the existence of pure spirits. But they are not explicitly mentioned as being created in Genesis 1.

Same is with the states of Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell, fully scriptural. Hell is described as (1) a separate place from Earth (2) meant for the fallen angels (3) to which only unrepentant sinners go (4) on their own choice. Consider, for instance: Is 33:11-14, Daniel 12:2-3, Mt 13:41-50, Mt 25:41, John 3:16, 36, Lk 3:16-17, Revelation 14:11, Revelation 20:10-15 (a non-exhaustive list).

Besides, if the earth or the world was hell, then the Lord would not have prayed as follows:

I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one.

Nor would Scripture say:

The earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord ...] The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof ...]

For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.

Creatures will hell, not God. :slight_smile:

[quote="aspirant, post:13, topic:321879"]
Creatures will hell, not God. :)

[/quote]

Yes. :thumbsup: There is no mention of hell in Genesis because God did not create hell. Hell was created the very first time His creature rejected perfect Love for a lesser desire. Hell (eternal separation from God) is the result of our response to the gift of free will. When satan rejected God, his eternal separation created the state of hell whereby all who follow satan and his demons will continue in rejection and eternal separation from God.

[quote="teachccd, post:14, topic:321879"]
Yes. :thumbsup: There is no mention of hell in Genesis because God did not create hell. Hell was created the very first time His creature rejected perfect Love for a lesser desire. Hell (eternal separation from God) is the result of our response to the gift of free will. When satan rejected God, his eternal separation created the state of hell whereby all who follow satan and his demons will continue in rejection and eternal separation from God.

[/quote]

I still think that the life we are living here in this world is a living Hell, designed to promote LOVE and elevate our souls..

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:15, topic:321879"]
I still think that the life we are living here in this world is a living Hell

[/quote]

Keyword: you think. We all do that. But what matters in faith and morals is Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition. Neither approves of the idea that the earth is a living hell.

Now, if we were to push the argument, we could argue that the earth could be seen as a living Purgatory. For in Hell there is no coming out, nor any goodness, nor any love for God. In Purgatory the soul suffers, but loves God and seeks Him and has love and mercy for creation. Some Christian writers do recommend symbolically: "let us pass purgatory on Earth".

Nobody here is arguing that life in the world is not sorrowful. Christ - the one after which we are formed - was in life "a man of sorrows, acquainted with suffering". But hell is eternal rejection of God, eternal separation from God. How can you believe this is Hell, when the living God came down to Earth and said, as He ascended: "I will be with you every day until the end of time"?

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:15, topic:321879"]
I still think that the life we are living here in this world is a living Hell, designed to promote LOVE and elevate our souls..

[/quote]

You are making me feel bad:( Like you are in a terrible state...? We can definitely have trials and tribulations, afflictions and oppressions. Some can be treated incredibly inhumane! But hell is nomore God, ever! And knowing that you are responsible for rejecting that incredibly charitable life with you. That is too extreme to compare to life in this world, which contains the hope, promise and creation of the almighty.

Michael

[quote="rcwitness, post:17, topic:321879"]
You are making me feel bad:( Like you are in a terrible state...? We can definitely have trials and tribulations, afflictions and oppressions. Some can be treated incredibly inhumane! But hell is nomore God, ever! And knowing that you are responsible for rejecting that incredibly charitable life with you. That is too extreme to compare to life in this world, which contains the hope, promise and creation of the almighty.

Michael

[/quote]

"Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life."
-John 12:25

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:18, topic:321879"]
"Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life."
-John 12:25

[/quote]

I'm not familiar with the context of this verse, but I would bet there is more to it than what appears at face value. Perhaps John was referring to loving material possessions and money or engaging in immoral behavior?

But God's blessings are all around us. And we can chose His life everyday. "Our hour is always here"

In hell, there is no hour. just shadows.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.