Why is there sin and suffering

Why is there sin and suffering?
A Case against the Free Will on Earth
Jeffrey Pattavina, 12-24-14
Case A: Free Will on Earth (Traditional Answer)
This proposal is standard answer to the problem of evil. That is, God wants to share in His truth which is His love with man by endowing man with free will in order that man can love. God tolerates sin and evil for the sake of greater good.
Premise A1: God’s essence is love. He wants his creatures to share in His truth which is His love
Premise A2: In order for God to share in His truth (love) man must be endowed with free will. Without free will we cannot love.
Premise A3: God tolerates the bad choices that result from free will (i.e., sin and suffering) for the sake of greater good (love).
Premise A4: God cannot eliminate (P3) without wiping out (P2) as well.
Conclusion A:
God can share in His truth which is His love (A1) with man by endowing man with free will (A2). By virtue of A3 and A4 God tolerates sin and evil for the sake of greater good.
Case B: Free Will in Heaven
But as we have seen, we will have free will in heaven and in the presence of the divine good, we will see God face to face and will always choose the Divine Good that is God himself. Thus premise 4 on Case-A, above is invalid and so is Conclusion A. We propose the following:
Premise A1: God’s essence is love. He wants his creatures to share in His truth which is His love
Premise A2: In order for God to share in His truth (love) man must be endowed with free will. Without free will we cannot love.
Premise B1: Man has free will in heaven and in the presence of the Divine Good, will always choose the Good that is God himself.

Conclusion B:
God can share in His truth which is His love (A1) with man by endowing man with free will (A2). By virtue of B1 God need not tolerate sin and evil for the sake of greater good. Since by B1 man can be created in Heaven with free will and by virtue of the beatific vision will always choose the Divine Good.
Remark:
It seems the classical answer to “Why an all Loving and Powerful God allows sin?” given by Case-A is invalid. Based on Case-B it is not reasonable for God to allow sin and suffering for the Greater-Good, since there is another way. It seems that God can share His truth which is His love with man without creating a cosmos or universe to begin with. Simply create man in Heaven.
The issue remains – why is there sin and suffering?

I am looking for a theologean or Apologist to help me with this dilema

Jeff

Theologians and “apologists” do not frequent these forums. You could use the CAF search function to find an answer from the old “Ask an Apologist” sub forum from the old CAF platform. Otherwise, you’ll be getting answers from every kind of poster. There are a handful of priests here on CAF, but they generally don’t answer these types of questions.

Thank you!

I am having difficulty finding an apologist to contact.

Many catholic sites that do not provide access to a theologian or apologist.

Can you help me find one?

Regards:

Jeffrey Pattavina

860 301-5200(M)

jspattavina@comcast.net

The main site catholic.com has an ask an apologist section.

I’m neither theologian nor Apologist (but I like to delve into Apologetics from time to time), but I feel like people always want to ask why is there sin and suffering instead of setting their minds on why there is goodness and happiness.

As far as I can tell, maybe ALL human suffering derives from
our sinfulness. You must remember Satan & associates are
loose in the world, promoting sin.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.