Why is there so much anti-Catholic websites?

Hello,
I am very interested in converting to the Catholic Church.

I have been doing a lot of research on the net. However, I have run across many disturbing websites. Many of these websites are very bigoted. In fact, if they attacked anybody else, such as racial minorities, they would have been yanked off the net. But what makes Catholicism such a target. I don’t really know why.

Some of the websites claim Catholicism is a pagan religion. I am a logical person, and that claim makes no sense. So, what some of these fanatics are saying is that Christ, founder of the Church, is a pagan. Whoa, that is a big time fallacy!

I told my inquiry teacher that those who are so filled with hatred towards Catholicism (and other faiths) are not so confident about their own faith.

What are your thoughts? Also, what are some great websites for Catholicism? I have been to ewtn and catholic.org. What are some others?

Thank
Joe

I would recommend www.spiritdaily.com it is a cool look at the world.

I would answer your question regarding why so many anti-catholic websites with a question. Why do you think so many people have it in for an organization that is almost two thousand years old?

:whistle:

Why are there so many anti-Catholic websites? Because there are a lot of anti-Catholics who make websites. Their particular reasons for being anti-Catholic are varied; some had bad experiences with a few individuals in the Church, some became disillusioned because they weren’t very firmly grounded in their faith, some were never Catholic to begin with and just learned anti-Catholicism from their families and churches (a sort of oral tradition…hmmm I thought tradition was condemned? :p). I live in SW Virginia, and I see a lot of all of these. I have some friends who were both baptized Catholic but were never catechised very well. The outcome? Neither is Catholic anymore. I have an uncle who is a non-denominational preacher, and his father was as well, as was his father. He and the other local non-denom preachers get on the radio and tout their anti-Catholicism (although my uncle has become considerably milder in recent years–and his core beliefs are so Catholic it’s not even funny).

In short, some people, for whatever reason, have a problem with the Church. The internet is an easy channel for any information to be dispersed quickly and inexpensively. Anti-Catholics harness the internet as a means to spread their ideas just as Catholics and Muslims and Jews and Republicans and Democrats and circus clowns and European monarchs and animators and musicians and all sorts of other people do.

-ACEGC

Welcome to the family! You’ll find a lot of converts here at Catholic.com.

A couple of websites that I enjoy are:
catholicconvert.com
and
catholicity.com.

Catholic City will send you free CD’s and books if you ask them. I love my Rosary CD from them. And check out the Fr. Corapi and Scott Hahn CD’s.

Why do they hate the Church so much? I don’t know, but Jesus predicted it.

Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

[quote=bjd2006pc]Hello,

I have been doing a lot of research on the net. However, I have run across many disturbing websites. Many of these websites are very bigoted. In fact, if they attacked anybody else, such as racial minorities, they would have been yanked off the net. But what makes Catholicism such a target. I don’t really know why.

Some of the websites claim Catholicism is a pagan religion. I am a logical person, and that claim makes no sense. So, what some of these fanatics are saying is that Christ, founder of the Church, is a pagan. Whoa, that is a big time fallacy!

I told my inquiry teacher that those who are so filled with hatred towards Catholicism (and other faiths) are not so confident about their own faith.

What are your thoughts? Also, what are some great websites for Catholicism? I have been to ewtn and catholic.org. What are some others?

Thank
Joe
[/quote]

I’m a French Protestant, in my country the Protestant-Catholic relationship is generally good, although there are doctrinal differences …( the same as here I suppose … )
I was very surprised to see the aggressivity that exists here …on both sides…
By clicking here and there I landed on an fiercely anti-Catholic site, that says that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon and so on …the language used is terrible …;
There isn’t a forum on this site, but a “contact us” button …
So I e-mailed them, saying that as a French Protestant I was very shocked, since our relationship with Catholicism is very different …( for example, the President of the French Protestant Federation is going to meet the Pope soon …if we thought he was the Antichrist , he wouldn’t do so …)
They answered me using arguments that are not convincing at all, so I explained the kind of relationship both religious groups have in France …
I got a terrible answer , I can’t resist summing it up here, something like ( and remember it was the second message they sent me, I mean, we didn’t “know” each other … ) that :

“you are a hypocrite posing as a Protestant, you don’t even know what it means . The lukewarm people like you Christ will spit out of His mouth. This is our last mail since we are commanded not to throw pearls before swine.”

waaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !!!

I think I’ll stay here with my Catholic compatriots …

There’s a book on the subject if you’re interested: *The New Anti-Catholicism *by Philip Jenkins.

Why such rabid anti-Catholicism? My theory is that the anti-Catholics know very well the Catholic Church was the first Christian church; therefore they must prove it wrong in order to justify not belonging to it.

But that’s just my theory.

[quote=Huguenot]I’m a French Protestant, in my country the Protestant-Catholic relationship is generally good, although there are doctrinal differences …( the same as here I suppose … )
I was very surprised to see the aggressivity that exists here …on both sides…
By clicking here and there I landed on an fiercely anti-Catholic site, that says that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon and so on …the language used is terrible …;
There isn’t a forum on this site, but a “contact us” button …
So I e-mailed them, saying that as a French Protestant I was very shocked, since our relationship with Catholicism is very different …( for example, the President of the French Protestant Federation is going to meet the Pope soon …if we thought he was the Antichrist , he wouldn’t do so …)
They answered me using arguments that are not convincing at all, so I explained the kind of relationship both religious groups have in France …
I got a terrible answer , I can’t resist summing it up here, something like ( and remember it was the second message they sent me, I mean, we didn’t “know” each other … ) that :

“you are a hypocrite posing as a Protestant, you don’t even know what it means . The lukewarm people like you Christ will spit out of His mouth. This is our last mail since we are commanded not to throw pearls before swine.”

waaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !!!

I think I’ll stay here with my Catholic compatriots …
[/quote]

was this bible.ca?

Some of these websites look convincing. It looks like you are on a Catholic website, then you click a little further, then you get “Are you Saved? This is to our Catholic friends”…Friends, my eye…There are some real loonies out there…It is scary since many of these people are giving good and decent Protestants a bad name.

Joe

Bashing Catholic is chic. You know, we may get upset, but that’s about it.

When you can’t beat 'em, slander and insult 'em.:wink:

Christ cannot be beaten therefor neither can His visible body on earth be beaten, His Catholic Church.

Is this just an American problem? Do other countries not have antiCatholism?

[quote=bjd2006pc]Hello,

Thank
Joe
[/quote]

Hi Joe;

Let me sum up my response with a quote: :smiley:

**“The lady doth protest too much, me-thinks.” **

-W. Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act III, Scene II

[quote=Lazerlike42]was this bible.ca?
[/quote]

no, it starts with “iconbusters” , I don’t remember if it is .org or .com …

[quote=Kay Cee]There’s a book on the subject if you’re interested: *The New Anti-Catholicism *by Philip Jenkins.

Why such rabid anti-Catholicism? My theory is that the anti-Catholics know very well the Catholic Church was the first Christian church; therefore they must prove it wrong in order to justify not belonging to it.

But that’s just my theory.
[/quote]

For me, saying that some Catholic doctrines are wrong doesn’t necessarily mean that we are anti-Catholic ; as a Protestant I don’t consider that a Catholic that tells me that he doesn’t agree with this or that Protestant doctrine is anti-Protestant…If he didn’t think that some Protestant doctrines are wrong, he wouldn’t be Catholic any more …
In a polite dialogue we have to accept this on both sides…
We can disagree with each other without being anti --Something …

But the site I have mentioned is really ANTI-Catholic …

Because many non-Catholic religions make few demands on their followers. Almost everything is “optional”… cafeteria religions.

The Catholic Church, for all the sins and faults and failings of some of its members, makes REAL demands in terms of re-forming one’s life.

And then there are rigid positions on morality. ABC, abortion, euthanasa, sin, mandatory Mass attendance, etc.

Merely making a conspicuous donation and getting your name on the side of a building, or hiring people to issue press releases with your name on them, or paying to have a testimonial dinner isn’t going to hack it.

Anyone who works at re-forming their life and /or turning away from sin will receive criticism.

[quote=Al Masetti]Because many non-Catholic religions make few demands on their followers. Almost everything is “optional”… cafeteria religions.

The Catholic Church, for all the sins and faults and failings of some of its members, makes REAL demands in terms of re-forming one’s life.

And then there are rigid positions on morality. ABC, abortion, euthanasa, sin, mandatory Mass attendance, etc.

Merely making a conspicuous donation and getting your name on the side of a building, or hiring people to issue press releases with your name on them, or paying to have a testimonial dinner isn’t going to hack it.

My denomination is very close to the positions of the Catholic Church as far as moral issues are concerned ( abortion, sin, and so on ; I don’t know what ABC means ), and I think it must be the same for the same kind of denominations here, so maybe for some it’s a part of the problem, but that doesn’t explain it totally.

Anyone who works at re-forming their life and /or turning away from sin will receive criticism.
[/quote]

I agree with you on this point, but that is also my case ( reforming my life and turning away from sin : that is precisely what “conversion” means–here I’m not referring to a change of religion , I’m speaking about a conversion in one’s heart and mind … )

[quote=Huguenot]I agree with you on this point, but that is also my case ( reforming my life and turning away from sin : that is precisely what “conversion” means–here I’m not referring to a change of religion , I’m speaking about a conversion in one’s heart and mind … )
[/quote]

The passage from “my denomination” to “totally” is part of my answer, not of the original message, I don’t know why it appears like that …

[quote=Huguenot]For me, saying that some Catholic doctrines are wrong doesn’t necessarily mean that we are anti-Catholic ; as a Protestant I don’t consider that a Catholic that tells me that he doesn’t agree with this or that Protestant doctrine is anti-Protestant…If he didn’t think that some Protestant doctrines are wrong, he wouldn’t be Catholic any more …
In a polite dialogue we have to accept this on both sides…
We can disagree with each other without being anti --Something …

But the site I have mentioned is really ANTI-Catholic …
[/quote]

Well, yeah, I’m not talking about a friendly or charitible disagreement. I’m talking about a *psychological *reason why some anti-Catholics smear the Church so much. I mean, why bother spouting such hatred? I think they have absolutely got to prove the Catholic Church is evil. It’s kind of like being a schoolground bully so they can feel better about themselves.

In no way do I mean to so much as imply that all Protestants are anti-Catholic.

[quote=Huguenot]I agree with you on this point, but that is also my case ( reforming my life and turning away from sin : that is precisely what “conversion” means–here I’m not referring to a change of religion , I’m speaking about a conversion in one’s heart and mind … )
[/quote]

There are numerous guides published about what Catholics refer to as an “examination of conscience”… which is a ritual we are supposed to go through immediately prior to entering the confessional or seeing a priest for the sacrament of reconciliation. I don’t happen to have one of them in front of me, this second. But anyone (Catholic or not) can refer to one of these “examination of conscience” guides… to see how they are “coming along” in re-forming their lives.

Having said that, there is a really NIFTY little book called “My Daily Bread”. published by “Confraternity of the Precious Blood”, 5300 Ft. Hamilton Parkway, Brooklyn, NY 11219. I think it’s around $7.50. Fabulous. It has a large number of brief essays that really focus one’s attention to typical faults and failings. Totally fabulous. Go on line and look it up; print out the order form and mail it with a check. Unbelieveable little book. Get a copy.

[quote=Kay Cee]Well, yeah, I’m not talking about a friendly or charitible disagreement. I’m talking about a *psychological *reason why some anti-Catholics smear the Church so much. I mean, why bother spouting such hatred? I think they have absolutely got to prove the Catholic Church is evil. It’s kind of like being a schoolground bully so they can feel better about themselves.

In no way do I mean to so much as imply that all Protestants are anti-Catholic.
[/quote]

I agree with you ; I can’t understand why they ( some Protestants ) bother with the Catholic Church. We try to live our faith more seriously, when a minister preaches it is to help us, and they don’t preach “against Catholicism” or any other religion, nor do the Catholics preach against us ( I’ve been to Catholic Masses several times )…
Most French Protestants belong to denominations that are members of the French Protestant Federation ; any denomination that becomes a member of it must sign a “Chart” that is very ecumenical : by entering the French Protestant Federation, they engage automatically in ecumenical activities that can have several forms, inclusive interreligious talks ; there are about 1 100 000 Protestants in France, about 900 000 of them belong to denominations that are part of the French Protestant Federation ; there are about 200 000 Protestants “outside” ( mostly Evangelicals ) , but it doesn’t mean they are “necessarily” anti-Catholic either, but they are more “shy” in their relations with the Catholic Church, some of them also take part in ecumenical actions, but more punctually, more “locally”, and they also ( for some of them ) have talks with other religions, very often at a local level, including with Catholics.
Some prefer not to have “official” relationship with the Catholic Church, but then they simply don’t bother, they don’t preach against it either, and some of their members, for personal reasons, have closer relationships with the Catholic Church, go to common prayer meetings and so on …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.