Why is there suffering in the World?

Many people lose faith in God when they see evil and natural disasters in the World. They feel that, if God is really present or really loves us, He will not allow evil. This feeling becomes even stronger, when they see children and innocent people suffer.However, it is not God, but our sins, that produces evil in the world. Sin results from selfishness and selfishness causes hurt to others. Even natural disasters, which some people erroneously refer to as “acts of God”, are result of our sins. Since we have dominion over the World (Genesis 1: 27-28), our acts of selfishness affect the balance in nature. So that when we sin by going against nature, the balance in nature is disturbed to produce natural disasters and diseases. Similarly, our evil acts directly affect others and cause them hurt. The hurt that evil produces affects everyone; including those who live holy lives. God allows evil, because, He has given us free will. He has given us free will so that we can exercise unconditional love. If we did not have free will, we will never be able to love others unconditionally, because, to love is a choice, and every choice needs a free will. God wants us to have love (John 13:34), because he wants us to be one with him and share his life, which is love. In addition, he wants us to live a life of love, because, he wants us to have His peace and joy (John 15:11).

He brings peace and joy to those who are suffering by comforting them (Psalm 23, Is 57:18-21; Ps 94:19) and by giving redemptive value to pain and suffering. He did this by freely accepting pain and suffering, in order to empty self completely on our behalf (1 Peter 2:24, 25).  In other words, he emptied himself of self, by leaving himself totally open to pain and suffering. We too can use our pain and suffering to empty ourselves of self, not only on our behalf, but also on behalf of those who need our help by quietly accepting them. We can also quietly accept pain and suffering in the process of helping others (Luke 14:27). We will then find peace and joy; because, our attention will be directed towards those in need, and not on our self. On the other, hand if we are selfish, and focus our attention on our self, we will become bitter and unhappy. God also brings relief to those who are suffering, through the love and compassion of those who selflessly serve others. Furthermore, by nourishing us with His own sacrificial body and blood (John 6:51), he gives us His own life. 

God does not take us away from suffering. Instead He gives us the grace to remain faithful and to accept the sufferings we endure. By accepting and enduring the sufferings in our lives we unite ourselves with Him. He wants us to be pure and it’s through suffering that we become pure. If we look at the lives of the saints just about most of them had to suffer greatly.

Dear arunangelo,

I once heard a priest say: Never try to explain
God’s actions. I thought about that. I think
he was right.

When all is said and done, suffering is a mystery.

Just my thought,

reen12

[quote=Mt19:26]God does not take us away from suffering. Instead He gives us the grace to remain faithful and to accept the sufferings we endure. By accepting and enduring the sufferings in our lives we unite ourselves with Him. He wants us to be pure and it’s through suffering that we become pure. If we look at the lives of the saints just about most of them had to suffer greatly.
[/quote]

Yes. This is so true. I feel closest to God when I suffer. I don’t think suffering is a punishment, but a reminder that God is in charge. Suffering helps us to be humble.

Suffering purifies me of my self-love… my selfishness… my pride…

Nimfa

From Mystical City of God themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
In Defense of The City of God Mystica Civitate Dei: dailycatholic.org/issue/05Jun/jun10tim.htm - to summarize the research of three priests on the official decision of the Holy Roman Catholic Church regarding The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Jesus of Agreda and to ascertain thereby whether it is permitted for anyone of any authority whatsoever to forbid the reading of this extraordinary book.

1. (Excerpt) On account of the merits of Christ, our Savior, the graces and gifts were prearranged, and also original justice, if they would only preserve it. The fall of Adam was foreseen and in him that of all others, except of the Queen, who did not enter into this decree. As a remedy was it ordained, that the most holy humanity should be capable of suffering. The predestined were chosen by free grace, and the foreknown were reprobated with exact justice. All that was convenient and necessary for the conservation of the human race and for obtaining the end of the Redemption and the Predestination, was preordained, without interfering with the free will of men; for such ordainment was more conformable to God’s nature and to divine equity. There was no injustice done to them, for if with their free will they could sin, so also could they abstain from sin by means of grace and the light of reason. God violated the right of no one, since He forsook no one nor denied to any one that which is necessary. Since his law is written in the hearts of men, nobody is excused for not knowing and loving Him as the highest Good of all creation.

There is suffering in this world because this is earth NOT Heaven.

Did you ever notice that we are much more likely to ask for God’s help when we are suffering than when we are not.

IF there were no suffering would we be appreciative of Heaven. We may not ever want to leave this world. What good is Heaven if earth is just as painless.

PLUS if there were no suffering in this world, we would all have to do our suffering in Purgatory which is a whole lot worse than doing our suffering here. According to the saints, suffering allows us to share in the redemptive work of Christ (contrary to what the protestants say).

Some good points in these posts. It is a big stumbling block to many people, but perhaps they want stumbling blocks? People who say this don’t often seem to search for answers. God is a mystery and we can’t understand the infinite with our finite minds. But God has revealed plenty to us. We know why there’s suffering, disasters etc in the world. It’s because of sin. We find suffering repulsive because we were never meant to experience it. As Job said after his trials , "if God can send us good things, can he not send us bad things."
People often get confused and think God should do things or be the way they think he should be. That’s the biggest problem here. That and ignorance which so many live their whole lives in. Some people are truly blessed. They learn the immense value of suffering. They sometimes even pray for it. Particularly when they see how much good comes from it.
Suffering is an evil though, and God would never permit any evil unless he could bring good out of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.