Why is this in the LOTH?

I have noticed that the Liturgy of the Hours usually does not provide a reading if it is not going to be ever used (duh). For example we can commemorate Pope St. Sylvester I on Dec 31, and there is an antiphon for the Benedictus. But there isn't one for the Magnificat, because it would never be used ... because the evening of the 31st is always First Vespers of the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

So why is there a second reading in the Office of Readings for January 2nd? (though mistranslated as "Monday" in the English, in my Latin version it's clearly for January 2nd).

Per my understanding this reading would never be used, since the reading provided in the proper of saints under Jan 2, memorial (obligatory) of SS Basil and Gregory, would be used instead.

[quote="newyorkcatholic, post:1, topic:181641"]
I have noticed that the Liturgy of the Hours usually does not provide a reading if it is not going to be ever used (duh). For example we can commemorate Pope St. Sylvester I on Dec 31, and there is an antiphon for the Benedictus. But there isn't one for the Magnificat, because it would never be used ... because the evening of the 31st is always First Vespers of the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

So why is there a second reading in the Office of Readings for January 2nd? (though mistranslated as "Monday" in the English, in my Latin version it's clearly for January 2nd).

Per my understanding this reading would never be used, since the reading provided in the proper of saints under Jan 2, memorial (obligatory) of SS Basil and Gregory, would be used instead.

[/quote]

Actually it does the same thing for the Benedictus and Magnificat antiphons.
I suppose it was because different parts were worked on by different people so the Proper of Season was completed, and then the Proper of Saints 'overlaid', so to speak.

Then is only 2 things I can think of why it makes sense to retain the propers despite Ss. Basil and Gregory
1) if, for some reason, in a particular calendar, another day is chosen as their feast day
2) to allow for the reading to be selected and read on another day, as the GILH allows.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.